Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Mondeo

Mondeoman

Hi everyone... I am currently in the market for a Mondeo around the 2005/2006 age...My budget is approx £6000 and i am hoping to get a reasonable mileage 2 litre or 2.2 litre Ghia X diesel hatchback...So to my questions, are there any things i should be looking out for other than the usual second hand car stuff...I read somewhere about problems with Dual Mass Flywheels, and rear suspension..are they common problems ?...What sort of mileage do you think i should be aiming for?...My current car is a 97 Rover 600 diesel that i've owned for 10 years, without any major problems, but is starting to get a little rough round the edges. So i think it's time for a change...All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks....Bill

personally i would not buy a mondeo again, my 06 tdci has had new injectors and belt tensioner assemble already and only 39000 miles, the dmf's are also a weak spot. wish i had stuck with toyota.

Fair enough if you want a newer car but is your Rover really going to cost more than £6k to get it running nice? If you've got a good solid car then stick with it, is my advice. Whatever car you replace it with could be more problematic in the end.

The Rover really is at the end of it's life.....There are too many things wrong to warrant repairing it.....ABS pump knackered, Keyless entry knackered...Big dent in front and rear....Rear wheel arches rusted out....Alarm goes off all the time...And i've had it 10 years so it's got to the point where i just fancy a change........Bill

personally i would not buy a mondeo again, my 06 tdci has had new injectors and belt tensioner assemble already and only 39000 miles, the dmf's are also a weak spot. wish i had stuck with toyota.

surely you can't right off a Mondeo based on a couple of small problems...It could have happened with any car..Apart from your problems how do you rate the car to use/ drive........Bill

I had a 2002 130bhp tdci mondeo had 250k miles on when i sold it..... had 2 flywheels and clutches,rear cradle bushes,rear caliper, bottom crank pulley, injectors x 2. They are the most common issues but aying that they are a good car and what cafr nowadays doesnt have issues...if they built the perfect car the economy would collapse as there would be a massive overkill of aftersales companies...car doesnt break no repairs etc etc no money going around the big pot!!!

the mondeo is a good car to drive with plenty of power and refinement.its just when they go wrong they are expensive to put right, eg alloy wheels flaking at 16 months old, injectors £200+ each without recodeing at 37000, belt assembly £450 fitted at 39000, dmf £800+, these are just the common problems to contend with, i do not know many people who have not had one of the common issues,perhaps its just me but in this day and age i expect a diesel car to be able go more than 40000 miles before starting to have to spend over a thousand pounds to keep it running sweet. fords customer relations do not help either. some people are lucky and get few problems but as they say you pays your money and takes your choice.

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/index.php?

MMmmmmm...i'm worried now....like you say a modern diesel should do galactic miles with few problems....My Rover has done 153.000...120.000 by me with nothing more than belts and oil....i wonder if anyone can tell me if there was a facelift type thing between 04 and 05....the reason i ask is....Parkers price guide lists 2.2 Ghia x (04) and Ghia x (05)in brackets after the listing...i have the chance of a Jan 05 54 plate Ghia x with 32.000 miles on but the guy wants £5500 for it....whereas top book for the (04) in brackets is £4770 private.........Bill

personally i have had much more problems with low mileage cars that high mileage ones. in my experience things tend to seize up on cars that spend more time parked than being driven. try to go no lower than 12k a year as these cars will have seen a garage at least one a year and have probably been driven at least once a day.

my mondy is the face lift on the 06, can not remember if the face lift was in 05 or 06,the car is used week days on a 30 mile round trip to work plus other milage and serviced at every 10000 miles instead of 12000.(never did trust service schdules). as i say when the cars running sweet i love it allround good car, its just when they go wrong thats the problem.

i think assuming u service them things are more likely to go wrong if u dont use them.

like abs and traction control ha ha

drive it like u stole it!!!

I'm sorely tempted to go for a petrol, but i don't think i could take the hit on fuel economy....Ford should be kicked squarely in the nads for building such a problematic diesel car.....Bill

I'm sorely tempted to go for a petrol, but i don't think i could take the hit on fuel economy....Ford should be kicked squarely in the nads for building such a problematic diesel car.....Bill

I've just sold my Mondeo TDCI with 90,000 miles had no problems at all - the only things replaced were service items, tyres & boot release switch and the only expensive item was the Dual Mass flywheel at over 80,000 miles this was £450 (worn out replaced by warranty company)I had the clutch changed while it was apart this cost £200.

Other than that no problems- The Ford diesels are not any more problematic than any other cars just check eBay they do galactic miles - if you base your choice on reading problem forums like this it just magnifies any minor problems.

Buy a car and budget for an extended warranty mine cost less than £300 a year and covered all the expensive bits along with the non expensive parts, if you're buying a lower mileage car you can get a very good warranty

I've bought a new Mondeo TDCI so I must think they're doing something right - the Mk4 is an exceptional car you get a lot for your money. I love it even more than the Mk3

I've just sold my Mondeo TDCI with 90,000 miles had no problems at all - the only things replaced were service items, tyres & boot release switch and the only expensive item was the Dual Mass flywheel at over 80,000 miles this was £450 (worn out replaced by warranty company)I had the clutch changed while it was apart this cost £200.

Other than that no problems- The Ford diesels are not any more problematic than any other cars just check Ebay they do galactic miles - if you base your choice on reading problem forums like this it just magnifies any minor problems.

Buy a car and budget for an extended warranty mine cost less than £300 a year and covered all the expensive bits along with the non expensive parts, if you're buying a lower mileage car you can get a very good warranty

I've bought a new Mondeo TDCI so I must think they're doing something right - the Mk4 is an exceptional car you get a lot for your money. I love it even more than the Mk3

i have to agree buy an extended warranty 300 quid a year is better than spending a fortune if summat does go wrong there are very few cars that dont have issues true some more than others try honest johns website google it and youll get the low down on what to look for recalls faults etc

Thanks very much for all of your replies peeps....I still think i'll go for a Mondeo diesel after all..Like some people have said , all cars will suffer some sort of failure at some time in their life.......If i buy private can i still buy some sort of warranty ?or is that just if i buy from a dealer.....Bill

Thanks very much for all of your replies peeps....I still think i'll go for a Mondeo diesel after all..Like some people have said , all cars will suffer some sort of failure at some time in their life.......If i buy private can i still buy some sort of warranty ?or is that just if i buy from a dealer.....Bill

Have a look at THIS site for warranty

• 1 month later...

Just thought i would give you all an update.... I bit the bullet and bought a 2.2 Titanium X ona 06 plate...It has 61,000 miles on the clock...The DMF, Clutch and slave cylinder have all been renewed by Mr Clutch ( with 2 year guarantee )...It has 18 inch alloys which have corroded under the laquer , the garage knocked £150 off the purchase price to cover repairs to them ( I'm going to strip and paint them gunmetal grey myself )...Apart from the wheels it seems to be all in order , the only niggle being that the dash light for the mileage isn't working ( are they easy to get to ? )..Heres to many miles of trouble free motoring......Bill

Other than that no problems- The Ford diesels are not any more problematic than any other cars just check Ebay they do galactic miles - if you base your choice on reading problem forums like this it just magnifies any minor problems.

while fuel prices are going thru the roof as our country is being run by a banker (did i say that out loud i meant to say chancellor!) ure better off managing the increasing cos with a diesal.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club