Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Vibrations

croc86

What is considered an acceptable level of vibration felt through the clutch pedal from a Focus TDCi and/or TDDi ?? No vibration or a tingling to the foot?

I had a solid flywheel conversion done to replace a failed DMF but now the car is very irritating to drive as vibrations are felt though the clutch pedal when depressing it, in the form of cyclic piston stroke vibrations. Driving the car in heavy traffic for more than 10 mins tends to leave my foot feeling a bit wierd (the clutch pedal seems to move slightly as the vibrations are so strong).

Is this normal for a diesel engine with a solid flywheel? Or is this result of an ill fitted flywheel/clutch/conversion kit?

I've never felt vibrations through the clutch pedal before in any petrol of diesel cars I've driven in the past nor my TDCi with a screwed DMF! :huh:

Thanks

What is considered an acceptable level of vibration felt through the clutch pedal from a Focus TDCi and/or TDDi ?? No vibration or a tingling to the foot?

I had a solid flywheel conversion done to replace a failed DMF but now the car is very irritating to drive as vibrations are felt though the clutch pedal when depressing it, in the form of cyclic piston stroke vibrations. Driving the car in heavy traffic for more than 10 mins tends to leave my foot feeling a bit wierd (the clutch pedal seems to move slightly as the vibrations are so strong).

Is this normal for a diesel engine with a solid flywheel? Or is this result of an ill fitted flywheel/clutch/conversion kit?

I've never felt vibrations through the clutch pedal before in any petrol of diesel cars I've driven in the past nor my TDCi with a screwed DMF! :huh:

Thanks

I get no vibration on my 08 1.8 tdci estate,but mine has the standard DMF fitted,it,s bad news if the mod is not to your liking,i hope you can sort it,good luck :(

I get no vibration on my 08 1.8 tdci estate,but mine has the standard DMF fitted,it,s bad news if the mod is not to your liking,i hope you can sort it,good luck :(

Thanks

After reading various forums I am starting to suspect that the garage SHOULD have changed the chrankshaft pulley/damper from the DMF one to the solid flywheel compatible one. Anyone know if this will make the difference to the harsh cyclic vibrations felt through the clutch pedal from the transmission/chrankshaft!? :(

Thanks

After reading various forums I am starting to suspect that the garage SHOULD have changed the chrankshaft pulley/damper from the DMF one to the solid flywheel compatible one. Anyone know if this will make the difference to the harsh cyclic vibrations felt through the clutch pedal from the transmission/chrankshaft!? sad.gif

bad vibrations are normal for the conversion which is why only taxis tend to have it done vw etc that have the dmf changed to solid find bad vibrations noisy engine noisy gearbox etc thats just normal as far as im aware changing parts has never made any difference and so they usually fit a dmf back on again.

That's me f**ked then. The garage convinced me that there should be no difference in clutch feel with DMF and SMF as per 100's of Transit van solid flywheel conversions they have already done. How the hell do I sell the car now when it gives my left foot repetitive strain injury from vibrating the clutch pedal so much!? :angry:

Surely there must be some simple adjustment to the clutch/flywheel/crankshaft pulley to subdue the harsh juddering and at least take the edge of it!?!?!?! :(

That's me f**ked then. The garage convinced me that there should be no difference in clutch feel with DMF and SMF as per 100's of Transit van solid flywheel conversions they have already done. How the hell do I sell the car now when it gives my left foot repetitive strain injury from vibrating the clutch pedal so much!? mad.gif

Surely there must be some simple adjustment to the clutch/flywheel/crankshaft pulley to subdue the harsh juddering and at least take the edge of it!?!?!?! sad.gif

typical ou aint driving a transit van though are you so comparing it to a focus is pointless transits are harsh anyway many vw owners have ghad this same problem changing there diesels to solid flywheel and having these very same issues did you buy a full conversion kit and did they fit it all if i were you ide take the car back to them and let them check it i know it cant be adjusted so maybe they should have changed the pulley as well. they ssured you after all but ive seen and gheard of it many times mate some cars will do the conversion and be fine and some really dont like it take it back in let them drive it and see where you go from there

typical ou aint driving a transit van though are you so comparing it to a focus is pointless transits are harsh anyway many vw owners have ghad this same problem changing there diesels to solid flywheel and having these very same issues did you buy a full conversion kit and did they fit it all if i were you ide take the car back to them and let them check it i know it cant be adjusted so maybe they should have changed the pulley as well. they ssured you after all but ive seen and gheard of it many times mate some cars will do the conversion and be fine and some really dont like it take it back in let them drive it and see where you go from there

Thanks for the advice. I intend to take it back in for another test-drive at least. I wish I knew whether changing the

the crankshaft pulley to a standard (for SMF) one would make a difference to the clutch pulsating (as oppsoed to the current pulley used in conjunction with the previous DMF).

Thanks for the advice. I intend to take it back in for another test-drive at least. I wish I knew whether changing the

the crankshaft pulley to a standard (for SMF) one would make a difference to the clutch pulsating (as oppsoed to the current pulley used in conjunction with the previous DMF).

i can only speculate that the dmf one isnt compatible with the solid clutch contacting the manufacturer of the solid should yield some answers i vaguely remember the same with a diesel passat and something wasnt changed when the conversion was done and he had similar symptoms once it was fixed it was better but he wasnt happy with it it was so long ago i really cant remember what it was

I have been reading the posts on this topic and im afraid to say the dmf is designed to absorb the vibrations from of the engine thats its sole purpose.

If you've had the smf conversion then you would expect an increase in the vibrations given off and the garage that done the repair should have known this.

Also im afraid to say that changing the crankshaft pulley wouldn't have any effect on the vibration as you would still get a vibration through the clutch pedal.

as to the transit conversion kits they only work because a transit is already a harsh vehicle to drive and isn't that noticable.

If i can be of any further help please contact me.

I have been reading the posts on this topic and im afraid to say the dmf is designed to absorb the vibrations from of the engine thats its sole purpose.

If you've had the smf conversion then you would expect an increase in the vibrations given off and the garage that done the repair should have known this.

Also im afraid to say that changing the crankshaft pulley wouldn't have any effect on the vibration as you would still get a vibration through the clutch pedal.

as to the transit conversion kits they only work because a transit is already a harsh vehicle to drive and isn't that noticable.

If i can be of any further help please contact me.

Thanks. Is there not anything you can do to relieve the pulsing on the clutch pedal when puting a solid flywheel conversion kit on a 2003 ford focus 1.8 tdci??

Thanks. Is there not anything you can do to relieve the pulsing on the clutch pedal when puting a solid flywheel conversion kit on a 2003 ford focus 1.8 tdci??

in short no ther pulsing is caused by the solid wheel conversion which isnt designed to soak up the vibration and pulsing effect from the gearbox the only way to eleviate it is to remove it some one asked about changing the dmf prior to this post and i warned them to find out what would happen as its common on many vw to do this conversion with the same issues you have now you have 2 choices 1 live with it 2 replace it with a dmf that really is all there is to it mate sorry theres nothing that can help you

Im afraid to say artscot79 is right there your only two options

Im afraid to say artscot79 is right there your only two options

The garage say it could be the thrust bearing but their not convinced. So as I can't live with it it's now up for sale to get shot of it!

I guess the lesson of this story is don't let your family car have a solid flywheel conversion (especially a Ford Focus or VW)!

I feel a complete fool for the garage convincing me that there would be no difference in clutch feel between DMF and SMF on a Focus! :(

The garage say it could be the thrust bearing but their not convinced. So as I can't live with it it's now up for sale to get shot of it!

I guess the lesson of this story is don't let your family car have a solid flywheel conversion (especially a Ford Focus or VW)!

I feel a complete fool for the garage convincing me that there would be no difference in clutch feel between DMF and SMF on a Focus! :(

If you like the car wouldn't it be better to get it changed back to DMF?or your going to take a beating on your price when someone test drives it and doesn't like it because of the conversion,anyway,i wish you luck whichever way you go. :(

If you like the car wouldn't it be better to get it changed back to DMF?or your going to take a beating on your price when someone test drives it and doesn't like it because of the conversion,anyway,i wish you luck whichever way you go. :(

Cheers. Changing back to a DMF will require me to take out a loan so I'm better off selling it.

Cheers. Changing back to a DMF will require me to take out a loan so I'm better off selling it.

he garage is for want of a better word taslking rubbish they compared the focus to a transit different gearbox different engine as i said some cars are fine i would be tempted to remove a dmf from a low lmileage scrapped car rather than get rid you will be struggling to get good money for it mate

• 2 weeks later...

in short no ther pulsing is caused by the solid wheel conversion which isnt designed to soak up the vibration and pulsing effect from the gearbox the only way to eleviate it is to remove it some one asked about changing the dmf prior to this post and i warned them to find out what would happen as its common on many vw to do this conversion with the same issues you have now you have 2 choices 1 live with it 2 replace it with a dmf that really is all there is to it mate sorry theres nothing that can help you

Surely Valeo can't expect to sell these kits and not have numerous customers complain about excessive clutch vibration!?

If this is a common issue AND they want to sell these flywheel kits AND claim that there is little or no difference in clutch feel from the kit to the DMF (as did on the phone to me) then they should either offer a solution to the problem or take them off of the market!!! :angry:

You can't expect to live with or resell a car in this condition unless the potential customer has lost all feeling in his left leg! :lol: :(

• 4 months later...

Googled, and game across this thread.

My clutch pedal is vibrating now and sometimes when its pressed you can hear rattling from the engine (not just normal diesel noise). Car has 92k on the clock. Will the fly wheel fail or just get noisy?