Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting A Tow Bar This Weekend

sjgillett

Hi All,

I am planning on fitting a tow bar on my 2003 Focus this weekend. It is due to be delivered tomorrow so I have not seen the instructions as yet but does anyone have any pointers for me and maybe a fool proof guide for the wiring?

I have a guide on the colour coding of the wiring on the socket (single electrics only) but if anyone can advise the colour coding on the vehicle loom that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi All,

I am planning on fitting a tow bar on my 2003 Focus this weekend. It is due to be delivered tomorrow so I have not seen the instructions as yet but does anyone have any pointers for me and maybe a fool proof guide for the wiring?

I have a guide on the colour coding of the wiring on the socket (single electrics only) but if anyone can advise the colour coding on the vehicle loom that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Simon

the best advice i can give you is dont do it youreself the ford wiring never matches the manual and ive seen mechanics take a whole day trying to get it wired correctly its more complicated than it looks

i did have a 'guide' on here somewhere about fitting the towbar, dont think i had anything on the wiring though.

To do the wiring on mine probably took me the best part of an hour, i used a bypass relay as i wasnt sure if i could just tap straight into the wiring but that also meant i was fitting a buzzer for the indicators too (legal requirement to have buzzer or lamp).i just had to trace the wires back to each light to see what wire done what.

i will try hunt out my towbar guide.

what make of towbar did you get?

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9341&mode=threaded&pid=57434

Thanks for your replies and for the link to the other thread.

I decided to go with a kit on eBay from Towbars direct (Tow Trust is the make of the bar) mainly due to how helpful they were regarding the need for a bypass relay before I decided to buy. I was not sure and was getting different answers but this company confirmed that the MK1 focus does not need a bypass relay and you can just tap into the wiring loom located in the boot on the passenger side. I have checked and the loom is there but now need to find out which wire goes where and does what.

Off to check my Haynes manual to see how accurate the wiring diagrams are.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for your replies and for the link to the other thread.

I decided to go with a kit on ebay from Towbars direct (Tow Trust is the make of the bar) mainly due to how helpful they were regarding the need for a bypass relay before I decided to buy. I was not sure and was getting different answers but this company confirmed that the MK1 focus does not need a bypass relay and you can just tap into the wiring loom located in the boot on the passenger side. I have checked and the loom is there but now need to find out which wire goes where and does what.

Off to check my Haynes manual to see how accurate the wiring diagrams are.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Simon

if the wires in the haynes are the same as youres then youre laughing and it will be a simple fit if like me they were all completely different then it can be a mare it was a mondeo i did it on and not one wire matched the haynes took a lot of faffing around to get it done

if the hanyes manual wiring is different from the actual wiring, i wouldnt worry about it too much as its not difficult to work out whats what.

have you got a buzzer or lamp for when you have a trailer plugged in?

if the wires in the haynes are the same as youres then youre laughing and it will be a simple fit if like me they were all completely different then it can be a mare it was a mondeo i did it on and not one wire matched the haynes took a lot of faffing around to get it done

Thanks for the warning. As you say if the wires match then it looks fairly straight forward, if they don't I thought I might remove the rear light lenses and follow the wires back to the loom or failing that there is a guy on eBay selling focus specific plug n play wiring kits for £29 so might revert to that if the universal wiring looks to be a pain.

I might remove the light lenses anyway as it is really simple on the focus to validate the wiring diagram in the haynes manual stacks up.

Oh well looks like my Sunday will be fully occupied LOL!!

Thanks for the warning. As you say if the wires match then it looks fairly straight forward, if they don't I thought I might remove the rear light lenses and follow the wires back to the loom or failing that there is a guy on ebay selling focus specific plug n play wiring kits for £29 so might revert to that if the universal wiring looks to be a pain.

I might remove the light lenses anyway as it is really simple on the focus to validate the wiring diagram in the haynes manual stacks up.

Oh well looks like my Sunday will be fully occupied LOL!!

thats the best way, and what i had to do. for the lights, you will have a slightly thinner wire for the tail lights and a slightly thicker wire for the brake lights just bear this in mind as i think they might be the same colour or there is wires in the loom for other things that are the same colour.

if you get stuck, i will be around on sunday and will remove the carpet in my boot to help you out if need be.

thats the best way, and what i had to do. for the lights, you will have a slightly thinner wire for the tail lights and a slightly thicker wire for the brake lights just bear this in mind as i think they might be the same colour or there is wires in the loom for other things that are the same colour.

if you get stuck, i will be around on sunday and will remove the carpet in my boot to help you out if need be.

Thanks for the heads up on the different thickness wires, I did have a very very breif look in the boot when I left work this evening to check the loom was where I had been led to believe and had noticed that there were thick and thin wires. I have decided that I will remove the light lenses just to be 100% the wires I splice into do go to the right bulbs.

Also thanks for the kind offer of checking your wiring for me that is very good of you. I shall keep the thread alive to let you know of progress. There are two things which will stop me, the tow bar not being delivered tomorrow and the weather.

I cannot help but think this will either be a very simple job or turn into one of those you wish you never started - no middle ground on this one :)

Right now where did I put my multi meter?

I have just reviewed the Haynes manual wiring and according to that the wiring should be:-

Indicator Left - Socket=Yellow, Car=Blue

Rear Fog light - Socket=Blue, Car=Green/Black

Earth - Socket=White, I assume I can use existing earth point in boot space?

Indicator Right - Socket=Green, Car=Blue/Red

Side Lights, number plate lights Right - Socket=Brown, Car=Orange

Brake Lights - Socket=Red, Car LH Green/Red RH Green/Black - I assume I can tap into either one of these?

Side Lights, number plate lights Left - Socket=Black, Car=Orange/White

I still intend on removing all the light lenses prior to tapping into anything to validate these diagrams are indeed correct. If anyone can validate my two assumptions I would be grateful.

I shall update this post with my findings when the job is done.

I have just reviewed the Haynes manual wiring and according to that the wiring should be:-

Indicator Left - Socket=Yellow, Car=Blue

Rear Fog light - Socket=Blue, Car=Green/Black

Earth - Socket=White, I assume I can use existing earth point in boot space?

Indicator Right - Socket=Green, Car=Blue/Red

Side Lights, number plate lights Right - Socket=Brown, Car=Orange

Brake Lights - Socket=Red, Car LH Green/Red RH Green/Black - I assume I can tap into either one of these?

Side Lights, number plate lights Left - Socket=Black, Car=Orange/White

I still intend on removing all the light lenses prior to tapping into anything to validate these diagrams are indeed correct. If anyone can validate my two assumptions I would be grateful.

I shall update this post with my findings when the job is done.

you are correct sir :)

you are correct sir :)

Thanks for the confirmation stef123.

Towbar arrived today as planned and the supplier included a vehicle wiring guide for the Focus and the colour codes matched 100% to the Haynes wiring diagrams which fills me with confidence.

Roll on Sunday :)

if the hanyes manual wiring is different from the actual wiring, i wouldnt worry about it too much as its not difficult to work out whats what.

have you got a buzzer or lamp for when you have a trailer plugged in?

sorry I missed this question. yes the kit supplied does have a buzzer which I need to install between the socket and the cars wiring loom for the indicators.

Thanks for the confirmation stef123.

Towbar arrived today as planned and the supplier included a vehicle wiring guide for the Focus and the colour codes matched 100% to the Haynes wiring diagrams which fills me with confidence.

Roll on Sunday :)

sorry I missed this question. yes the kit supplied does have a buzzer which I need to install between the socket and the cars wiring loom for the indicators.

excellent, all the better :)

sounds like your all sorted and ready to go then

fingers crossed, even the weather forecast is sunny lol

fingers crossed, even the weather forecast is sunny lol

haha indeed, dont remind me as ive got the oil to change since we have the weather for it. ahwell

good luck with the towbar but im sure you will be fine :)

well im not one to make you feel guilty but thats my engine oil changed :P good job too as i had just finished and it started raining.

well im not one to make you feel guilty but thats my engine oil changed :P good job too as i had just finished and it started raining.

Good work mate. Just had my serviced last month and had the cam belt done as well so good for now.

Just checked the wiring on the car by removing the light lenses and all the wires match the info I have so happy days.

Can you offer any advice as the best place to position the buzzer?

Cheers

Simon

Good work mate. Just had my serviced last month and had the cam belt done as well so good for now.

Just checked the wiring on the car by removing the light lenses and all the wires match the info I have so happy days.

Can you offer any advice as the best place to position the buzzer?

Cheers

Simon

definetly happy days! :)

errm, well i glued my relay contraption to the metal behind the carpet just below the wiring loom. i should have a pic on my phone that i could upload. so for the buzzer, i presume its the cylinder shape one you are using? i would just cable tie it to the wiring loom.

post-3200-126789913296_thumb.jpg

definetly happy days! :)

errm, well i glued my relay contraption to the metal behind the carpet just below the wiring loom. i should have a pic on my phone that i could upload. so for the buzzer, i presume its the cylinder shape one you are using? i would just cable tie it to the wiring loom.

Thanks for the picture as this has answered one last question I had regarding where to cut into the loom. I couldn't decide which side of the blue and grey loom connectors to tap into but think the way you have done it looks neat so I will go with that approach as well. :)

I don't have a relay to fit so no worries there and the buzzer is a small square unit - see pic. The only ground point I can find is next to the lock latch on the inside of the rear panel. Did you run a ground wire from your 12N socket & buzzer to that point or drill and screw a new one?

Buzzer%20TEM1A.gif

Thanks for the picture as this has answered one last question I had regarding where to cut into the loom. I couldn't decide which side of the blue and grey loom connectors to tap into but think the way you have done it looks neat so I will go with that approach as well. :)

I don't have a relay to fit so no worries there and the buzzer is a small square unit - see pic. The only ground point I can find is next to the lock latch on the inside of the rear panel. Did you run a ground wire from your 12N socket & buzzer to that point or drill and screw a new one?

Buzzer%20TEM1A.gif

thats a funky looking buzzer, never seen one like that before. I used the earth point near the latch as drilling a new hole and all that was too much like hassle. I think the green wire you can see coming out of the foam around the loom on the left hand side of the pic is my earth from the point near the latch ( just not been connected to the relay at the time of pic)

I would run an earth from the latch to the buzzer, then when you connect up your socket to the loom/buzzer and then connect the sockets earth to your earth that the buzzer is connected to - hope that makes sense. it will mean you only need to run one earth cable.

thats a funky looking buzzer, never seen one like that before. I used the earth point near the latch as drilling a new hole and all that was too much like hassle. I think the green wire you can see coming out of the foam around the loom on the left hand side of the pic is my earth from the point near the latch ( just not been connected to the relay at the time of pic)

I would run an earth from the latch to the buzzer, then when you connect up your socket to the loom/buzzer and then connect the sockets earth to your earth that the buzzer is connected to - hope that makes sense. it will mean you only need to run one earth cable.

Makes perfect sense and thanks for all your help and advice it is very much appreciated. One last question (sorry) - how did you run the 12N cable into the boot space? Can you push it through the same hole as the cables runing to the reverse and fog lamps in the bumper or will I need to drill a 13mm hole through the boot floor? :unsure:

Makes perfect sense and thanks for all your help and advice it is very much appreciated. One last question (sorry) - how did you run the 12N cable into the boot space? Can you push it through the same hole as the cables runing to the reverse and fog lamps in the bumper or will I need to drill a 13mm hole through the boot floor? :unsure:

not a problem :)

yeah i just made the hole a bit bigger in the reverse light grommit( its a pretty big grommit!) and put it through there.

make sure you have plenty of cable ties as you will need them to keep everthing neat.

not a problem :)

yeah i just made the hole a bit bigger in the reverse light grommit( its a pretty big grommit!) and put it through there.

make sure you have plenty of cable ties as you will need them to keep everthing neat.

Excellent - thanks once again and yep have a whole pack of cable ties on standby.

I shall report back tomorrow - hopefully with good news.

Cheers

Simon

Excellent - thanks once again and yep have a whole pack of cable ties on standby.

I shall report back tomorrow - hopefully with good news.

Cheers

Simon

one last thing, dont forget to buy some beer for after :lol: B)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club