• Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale

corbz9

Stiff Steering

Hi everyone im a fgoc virgin so be carefull with me :D can any one help me i recently bought my fifth mondeo its a 52 plate tdci Zetec S. When i bought it i asked to look at the test certificate as ya do and there were 3 adviseries on it but the only one that concerned me was one that said steering slightly rough and they are the exact words the guy at kwickfit where the car was tested had used anyway i took the car out for a testdrive and i noticed that when you were driving in a straight line and then you come to move the steering wheel it is slightly stiff like something is sticking i have been told this could be a number of things includeing the steering rack and the pump i just wanted to no if anyone else has experienced this problem and what was the solution i would be gratefull for your opions. thanks carl :)

Hi everyone im a fgoc virgin so be carefull with me :D can any one help me i recently bought my fifth mondeo its a 52 plate tdci Zetec S. When i bought it i asked to look at the test certificate as ya do and there were 3 adviseries on it but the only one that concerned me was one that said steering slightly rough and they are the exact words the guy at kwickfit where the car was tested had used anyway i took the car out for a testdrive and i noticed that when you were driving in a straight line and then you come to move the steering wheel it is slightly stiff like something is sticking i have been told this could be a number of things includeing the steering rack and the pump i just wanted to no if anyone else has experienced this problem and what was the solution i would be gratefull for your opions. thanks carl :)

i would start by looking at the cheapest part first, strut bearings. these may have seized or are just getting a bit worn/old.

always worth checking the obvious just incase the garage hasnt. though they should have.

tyre pressures, fluid level etc.

if the rack or pump are faulty you may have metal fillings in the PAS resvoir so check a sample of the fluid.

the UJ on the colunm could be slightly seized so remove and check all angles of movement.

top strut mount bearings could have broken up.

check them first and go from there

hope that helps

i would start by looking at the cheapest part first, strut bearings. these may have seized or are just getting a bit worn/old.

O.k cheers for that :D