Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Dave,

you are right, there is no plastic sill protectors on mine. Mine is the second build of the Mk2 being an [05A] build dates being 22-12-04 to 30-09-05. With mine built on 02-09-05 and first registered 04-10-05, so not hung about in a field for months.

As against the first build of the Mk2 [05] build date 14-09-04 to 21-12-04, main difference being mine has ABS+EBD, [05] ABS only.

Now yours is most likely one of the following

[06] build date 01-10-05 to03-03-06

[06A] build date 01-10-05 to 16-08-06

[07] build date 17-08-06 to 22-02-07

Obviously Ford saw the problem of the two earlier builds, regards the shot blasting effect of road grit on the sills and added plastic sill protectors.

This morning I had a quick look at the car in the area of the rear door frame curvature, before the wife took it to work. No time to photo yet.

Update:

Yes it's the same on our car, along with photo's of the rear door apertures, there is one of the front passenger door. Does not say a lot for the quality of finish Ford apply. To be honest I found the quality of finish on the Volvo tons better, a different workforce in a different country, obviously has a lot to do with it.

The damage on mine car does not look as bad as on yours. So like you say it's the fact the doors on yours are obviously not as well fit as they could be. Reading the blurb on the new yet to be built replacement Focus. Ford say the tolerances for components will be tightened up, and as your experience confirms, not before time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Focus Dave

Focus Dave

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

Yes, the stone chips you have photographed is exactly what the driver side of my car is like.....

My car is the 07 build and had a slightly modified body shape compared the its predecessors.

Well thanks for all the advice / comments guys. If I find a good fix for this I will post it on the forum at a later date :)

#18 luckyman

luckyman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 16lx

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

I have same problem on my 2005 was going to put mud flaps on front and get sills rubbed down and resprayed would the mud flaps solve this

#19 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:15 AM

I have same problem on my 2005 was going to put mud flaps on front and get sills rubbed down and resprayed would the mud flaps solve this

well I've fit front mudflaps to mine, the thinking being it will stop a lot of damage to that return surface where the sill meets the front wing. Regarding the stone chipping to the area around the bottom of the rear door aperture nearest the boot, front or rear flaps for that matter will not stop it happening. But the damage to my car is after 34,000 miles, so not unduly worried about it. I've not noticed any rust in that area, but I treated with a rust cure treatment just in case.Then touched up with a couple of top coats of spray paint [using a small brush] left it a week to harden then Tcut it in. Sure you would see it if I photographed it and you saw it under magnification, but to the naked eye its not noticeable.Definitely not contemplate paying for a respray in my case.

#20 luckyman

luckyman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 16lx

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

The worst affected area on mines is the underside of the sill especially at the front and at the front arch where it meets the sill it is rusty but surface and has been rubbed down and touched up previously but looks the car has done 132k so going by the comments on the forum is probably not that bad but dont think it would cost that much to have the sills rubbed down and resprayed

#21 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

The worst affected area on mines is the underside of the sill especially at the front and at the front arch where it meets the sill it is rusty but surface and has been rubbed down and touched up previously but looks the car has done 132k so going by the comments on the forum is probably not that bad but dont think it would cost that much to have the sills rubbed down and resprayed

Being new to the forum you may not had see this thread I did on the very subject.

#22 Focus Dave

Focus Dave

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

I was getting starting to get stone chips along the side of the sill. Once I installed mudflaps this seemed to stop the problem.

With regards to the rear door problem, the recent re-paint I did in the previous photographs is now all stone chipped and needing redone. I have ordered a strip of helicopter tape to see if I can fit is to the profile of the body, however I suspect it is going to be difficult due to the need to bend it in two directions. Incidently I first noticed the stone chips to the rear door/wheel arch after approx 10-12,000 miles.

I did notice a 58 plate mondeo with purpose fitted molded tape in that area. I am now wondering if I can get this from ford and whether it would fit a focus body. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

#23 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

Reading this thread got me worried about my car. Just went out to have a quick look and on my November 2006 model Ford have fitted a plastic strip all the way down on the underside of the car where you have mentioned.Also the rear door sill i noticed in the picture ,where you have the measuring tape out to show the protrusion, on mine the doors have been slightly pulled out to stop any stones or grit from hitting that area full on.
Now looking at it all it seems such a simple and CHEAP fix, surely its something Ford could have resolved years ago.

#24 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Reading this thread got me worried about my car. Just went out to have a quick look and on my November 2006 model Ford have fitted a plastic strip all the way down on the underside of the car where you have mentioned.Also the rear door sill i noticed in the picture ,where you have the measuring tape out to show the protrusion, on mine the doors have been slightly pulled out to stop any stones or grit from hitting that area full on.
Now looking at it all it seems such a simple and CHEAP fix, surely its something Ford could have resolved years ago.

well with my mk1 we have the plastic sills so thats not an issue however on the facelift models without them it seems to be an issue so why ford removed them i have no idea saves me a lot of hassle and with the mud flaps theres almost nothing that hits the sides now the front of the bonnets a different story

#25 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

Talking about the bonnet and stone chips there, I was told by a friend that your driving style has a great deal to do with that. He mentioned that if you drive too close to the car in front you are more likely to get stone chips on the bonnet then if you were to hold back. Is this true do you think/

#26 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

Talking about the bonnet and stone chips there, I was told by a friend that your driving style has a great deal to do with that. He mentioned that if you drive too close to the car in front you are more likely to get stone chips on the bonnet then if you were to hold back. Is this true do you think/

doubt it unless you drive a mile behind the car in front you seen how far some of those stones fly more to do with councils lagering the road in grit and never cleaning the sxxt up again so the roads end up covered in stones

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users