Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle On Idle

Bulletguy

Have a MK1 Focus 02 model with 1.8 petrol engine. Only had it a few weeks but it has recently developed what can best be described as a rattling noise in the engine bay, similar to if the fan was catching something (which it's not). Particularly noticeable on start up and idle though can sometimes be heard during driving.

Had a look myself whilst the engine is running and couldn't see anything at all so ran it up to a local Ford mechanic. He thinks its the crankshaft damper.

If it is, anyone any idea on parts and labour costs?

Have a MK1 Focus 02 model with 1.8 petrol engine. Only had it a few weeks but it has recently developed what can best be described as a rattling noise in the engine bay, similar to if the fan was catching something (which it's not). Particularly noticeable on start up and idle though can sometimes be heard during driving.

Had a look myself whilst the engine is running and couldn't see anything at all so ran it up to a local Ford mechanic. He thinks its the crankshaft damper.

If it is, anyone any idea on parts and labour costs?

are you sure its not coming from under the car from the exhaust? ive heard of this answer from ford before on a car the damper did not fix it turned out it was the exhaust centre pipe near the flexi hose with the car started have a listen under the car and get a second opinion

are you sure its not coming from under the car from the exhaust? ive heard of this answer from ford before on a car the damper did not fix it turned out it was the exhaust centre pipe near the flexi hose with the car started have a listen under the car and get a second opinion

Pretty sure on that...its not even similar to exhaust rattle. The odd thing is it seems to occur mainly in warm weather.

I'm a shift worker currently on nights and going to work last night (air temp was fairly cold), no rattle at all. Same again this morning when I drove home at 0600hr and the outside temp now is currently 0.5c, so not that far off freezing. Distance from work to home is just 10 miles but thats enough for the engine to get up to normal running temp.

Pretty sure on that...its not even similar to exhaust rattle. The odd thing is it seems to occur mainly in warm weather.

I'm a shift worker currently on nights and going to work last night (air temp was fairly cold), no rattle at all. Same again this morning when I drove home at 0600hr and the outside temp now is currently 0.5c, so not that far off freezing. Distance from work to home is just 10 miles but thats enough for the engine to get up to normal running temp.

could possibly be a damper then mate hard to tell without changing it though so a second opinion wouldnt hurt anyway just to be on the safe side in fairness it could be a lot of things ide get under first and make sure theres not summat loose knocking on the engine highly unlikely but you never know

could possibly be a damper then mate hard to tell without changing it though so a second opinion wouldnt hurt anyway just to be on the safe side in fairness it could be a lot of things ide get under first and make sure theres not summat loose knocking on the engine highly unlikely but you never know

Agree about 'second opinion' though one thing this guy is, is honest which counts for a lot these days! He trained and worked for Ford but is now self employed one man business.

I'm afraid my days of crawling under cars are long gone! Did that all through my 20's up till early 50's, but i'm 60 now so you come to the point where you have to rely on trust.

Thanks for your reply anyway. Despite Focuses being owned by many young lads, it seems not very many do much 'tinkering' in the mech department. I expected more replies.

Agree about 'second opinion' though one thing this guy is, is honest which counts for a lot these days! He trained and worked for Ford but is now self employed one man business.

I'm afraid my days of crawling under cars are long gone! Did that all through my 20's up till early 50's, but i'm 60 now so you come to the point where you have to rely on trust.

Thanks for your reply anyway. Despite Focuses being owned by many young lads, it seems not very many do much 'tinkering' in the mech department. I expected more replies.

hit or miss sometimes there are quite a few on sometimes not so many the good thing about the focus engine is it doesnt really require much tinkering most guys simply buy the bolt on stuff which is readily available rather than fiddling with the engine. my dads the same like you he was always under the car but now it goes to the garage if the fguys honest and done you well in the past ide take his advice to be honest good honest garages are few and far between

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club