Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Rack-Lock Issue

burgersnchips

Hello

I recently bumped my Fiesta and had some repair work done, namely the off-side rear rack end was replaced as it was bent and a "standard alignment". Anyway, now I have since noticed that the car allows more steering lock right than it does left, about 1.25 turns left to 1.55 right, causing the right wheel to rub if I actually apply the full lock, and reducing the amount I can turn left. How can this be corrected and is it an indication of a bigger problem?

Ideally I'd like to fix it myself if possible rather than pay more ££ to the garage.

Thanks, BnC

Visual check of the rack and the location of the wheels in the arches 1st just to make sure nothing else is bent.Is the steering wheel in the straight ahead position when going striaght?

steering rack could be pushed over slightly in its mounts. If everything is ok and steering wheel is of ceter for straight ahead it could be as simple as turning the track rod ends 1 turn to shortthe right 1 turn to lengthn the left Check and repeat till it all lines up again.

Thanks Parkesie for the quick response!

Yes the steering wheel has been aligned and is straight when driving straight. I'll have to have a good look under the car to see if anything else is bent, I didn't notice anything initially. The wheels look OK in the arches as far as I can tell.

If I turn the track end rods as you suggest and the steering wheel stops being straight when going straight can I correct that? Perhaps take the wheel off and put it back on straight?

Thanks again, BnC

The steering wheel is on a hexagon spline so you can move it unless you move it alot.

Im wondering if either something else is bent or if they've wound one tie rod end out alot more than ment to but just got it so the steering wheel goes in the straight ahead position

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club