Show
Photo

Erratic Revs When Cold With Added Whining Noise!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 keith43

keith43

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:10 AM

i had a replacement engine fitted recently. when i picked the car up, it felt different. the revs were running higher than normal, but only whilst it was cold. It now has a whistling / whining noise also, but not immediately. I have a daily run to work of roughly 3 miles. when i pull up to stop. the revs are around 1500 - 2000 and the noise is really loud. this is out of gear? if i blip the throttle, it eventually goes off. As ive mentioned, my car didnt have this problem before the replacement engine was fitted. the garage say that its the charcoal canister! I dont belive them! They have put the engine in with the inlet manifold attached. Could it be this, as they didn't fit my original one back on?

A speedy response would be greatly appreciated from anyone with knowledge of what this might be.

cheers
Keith

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

i had a replacement engine fitted recently. when i picked the car up, it felt different. the revs were running higher than normal, but only whilst it was cold. It now has a whistling / whining noise also, but not immediately. I have a daily run to work of roughly 3 miles. when i pull up to stop. the revs are around 1500 - 2000 and the noise is really loud. this is out of gear? if i blip the throttle, it eventually goes off. As ive mentioned, my car didnt have this problem before the replacement engine was fitted. the garage say that its the charcoal canister! I dont belive them! They have put the engine in with the inlet manifold attached. Could it be this, as they didn't fit my original one back on?

A speedy response would be greatly appreciated from anyone with knowledge of what this might be.

cheers
Keith

in simple terms no its not the charcoal cannister the high revs could be the idle control valve obviously youre old one didnt do it so a simple swap with that idle control valve would sort it also the throttle position sensor could be sticking

#3 keith43

keith43

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

in simple terms no its not the charcoal cannister the high revs could be the idle control valve obviously youre old one didnt do it so a simple swap with that idle control valve would sort it also the throttle position sensor could be sticking

thanks for the reply.
If its the ICV; is it easy to change? Would this make the whistling / whining noise? It only happens when i 1st start the car up. Why would this be? Cheers peeps........

#4 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

thanks for the reply.
If its the ICV; is it easy to change? Would this make the whistling / whining noise? It only happens when i 1st start the car up. Why would this be? Cheers peeps........

a whistling noise could be down to air escaping with it idling open the bonnet and see if you can track it down

#5 Frankie1973

Frankie1973

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk1 1.6LX

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

whining noise could be the auxilary belt...

#6 keith43

keith43

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

a whistling noise could be down to air escaping with it idling open the bonnet and see if you can track it down

Thanks for the advise fella. All sorted. the garage finally saw sense (and my mad eyes!) and changed the ICV. Suprise - suprise, the problem ceased...

#7 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the advise fella. All sorted. the garage finally saw sense (and my mad eyes!) and changed the ICV. Suprise - suprise, the problem ceased...

another happy ending glad you got it sorted

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users