• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SHEP

SHEP

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ford Model: FIESTA TITANIUM 1.6

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

I have a 2009 1.6 Petrol Fiesta Titanium on 16" wheels and 195/45 R16 Tyres. My problem is that I find the ride a little harsh, probably down to my advancing years and a bad back. There are two possible solutions as I see it:

1. Find someone with a Zetec fitted with 195/50 tyres on 15" wheels and do a swap. My alloys are unmarked and the tyres have done 12000 in a straight line, very little wear.

2. Change the current tyres and fit 195/50 tyres onto my current 16" wheels. This would make the speedo over read by about 1MPH and increase the ride height by 9mm. Has anybody tried this, or found any other solutions?

Any advice appreciated.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 Ti VCT Titanium
Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

As one of the more ancient forum members I share your thoughts SHEP. The ride is indeed on the hard side on ill-kept country roads. On decent surfaces I find it perfectly OK. Regretfully I can offer no suggestions other than those you already have though I do find that the week's supermarket shopping in the back quietens the ride noticeably.

Most members of this forum appear to be enthusiastic youngsters who perceive 17" wheels and skinnier tyres to be the way to go.

It's a shame that Ford UK do not offer 15" wheels as a possibility on the Titanium, unlike Ford Germany for instance.

Pending any better ideas I've decided to leave the wheels and tyres as they are. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

#3 SHEP

SHEP

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Many thanks for your reply. Its good to know that I am not the only one having to suffer. If I find an acceptable solution I will let you know.

#4 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

To be honest, I'm at the older end of the forum but I find the Titanium more than comfortable around town.

#5 Nightowl

Nightowl

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium 3-door + full bodykit Squeeze

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

As a more 'senior' member of the forum also - I too have a Titanium - one with the 16" optional 7-spoke wheels - rather than the standard 16" 15-spoke alloys.

The ride around towns/cities is fine. Infact - I'd go so far as to say that I love the firmer ride of the Fiesta! Each to their own of course - but personally I hate cars that 'wallow' around bends & corners like so many did/still do. For that reason - I am glad Ford opted to tune the Titanium's ride on a firmer setting...but not too much so.

I agree that on poorly-maintained country roads & in the current pot-hole-ridden network of highways we have - the Fiesta can be somewhat 'juddery' and a bit of a bone-shaker! But - again - I much prefer the pay-off of firmer ride experience overall (I do mainly motorway/A-Road driving) than 'lolloping' in & out of holes/dips/craters!

Previous to the Fiesta, I owned a 1.6 Citroen C2 VTR with a very firm ride...and loved all 3 years of driving/owning it! Perhaps this has clouded my judgement somewhat?

And before you ask - I am aged 49 !!!

#6 SHEP

SHEP

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

As a more 'senior' member of the forum also - I too have a Titanium - one with the 16" optional 7-spoke wheels - rather than the standard 16" 15-spoke alloys.

The ride around towns/cities is fine. Infact - I'd go so far as to say that I love the firmer ride of the Fiesta! Each to their own of course - but personally I hate cars that 'wallow' around bends & corners like so many did/still do. For that reason - I am glad Ford opted to tune the Titanium's ride on a firmer setting...but not too much so.

I agree that on poorly-maintained country roads & in the current pot-hole-ridden network of highways we have - the Fiesta can be somewhat 'juddery' and a bit of a bone-shaker! But - again - I much prefer the pay-off of firmer ride experience overall (I do mainly motorway/A-Road driving) than 'lolloping' in & out of holes/dips/craters!

Previous to the Fiesta, I owned a 1.6 Citroen C2 VTR with a very firm ride...and loved all 3 years of driving/owning it! Perhaps this has clouded my judgement somewhat?

#7 SHEP

SHEP

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for your comments. Its currently 2 votes for and two against the titanium's ride. I've come to the conclusion that wheel size preference is inversely proportional to the driver's age - unlike our stomachs !

#8 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 Ti VCT Titanium
Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

"Senior" - nonsense! From my perspective at age 72 you're one of the youngsters!

Seriously though, I think it isn't simply a matter of "hardness". My previous Mark 1 Focus had a firmish ride on its alloy wheels but it wasn't so unsettled as the Fiesta on the local patched and potholed country roads. The need for steering input from the driver comes into it. It's significant that Mrs Wealdman, as passenger, notices no diminution of comfort while I, as driver, tend to grumble a bit.

I think it would be better on 15" wheels but the time/trouble/expense involved in making a change has persuaded me to stick with the standard Titanium set up.

#9 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

hello

I too think the ride is harsh and iam only 24. There is also vibration through the pedals and through the seat.

Jamie

#10 benholden2008

benholden2008

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Ford Model: ford fiesta
Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

i also agree the ride is rather firm, quite embarasing really for a new car, especially when you have passengers and there getting shook about! also the wheels seem to be incredibly soft, having gone through two in 6 months costing nearly 400, not good!

#11 poshpawsfiesta

poshpawsfiesta

AKA PoshPawsRenaultClio

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

my mk 6.5 rides on 195 r16 45 and the ride is horrific the suspension noise is deafning ! our 2010 fiesta is on 195 r15 55 wheels and it rides about the same as our old 2009 plate focus witch rode on 215 r17 50, i certianly would like anything harder than that! :)

#12 cristian

cristian

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ECOnetic

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

I would like to fit alloy wheels on my 2009 Fiesta 1.6 TDCI. I was thinking that 16" with 195/45/16" would be perfect, but after reading some opinions above I start to think at 15" alloys with 195/50/15" tyres.
I live in Belgium and the roads are not so good. What would you choose?

#13 andy64

andy64

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Ford Model: 09 Fiesta 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium 3dr

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

I would like to fit alloy wheels on my 2009 Fiesta 1.6 TDCI. I was thinking that 16" with 195/45/16" would be perfect, but after reading some opinions above I start to think at 15" alloys with 195/50/15" tyres.

I've got a Titanium with the 16" (optional 7 spoke instead of the standard 15 spoke) alloy wheels & 195/45 tyres. I don't find the ride particularly harsh (in fact it's noticeably softer than my last car which was a 2002 Astra riding on 15" alloys with 195/60 tyres). Both cars with standard suspension. The Fiesta handles really well on these wheels - due to the shallow sidewall the "turn in" is really responsive; the tyre sidewall's taller with the 15" alloys but the trade off is that the ride will be softer though slightly less responsive.

I'm more than happy with the ride on 16" wheels (& this is in Sheffield, nationally "pothole city") - certainly wouldn't go for 17" wheels though!

#14 blade

blade

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Robert
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk7
  • Year: 2009

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

go with the 16" or even 17",i live in croatia and the roads are not so good,and still i am driving on 17" alloys and everything is ok,iti is a bit firm but ok.....

#15 Parkesie

Parkesie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk7

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

My thinking is the tyres that ford fit to the 16" titanium wheels are the noisiest hardest read cheapest tyres they could find. The tyres on my alfa were lower profile but quieter and more complient to rough road surfaces.
If it was bothering me so much id change them to avon zv3 or something similar.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users