#1 HeadShoT2009

HeadShoT2009

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Ford Model: 2001 Ford Focus Black Edition
Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

I got a quote from kwik fit for 310 that includes fitting,filled with nitrogen and tracking, disposal etc . My question is are
Pirelli P6000 a good all round tyre( performance,economy, good in wet etc) also is there a big bennefit in having them fills with nitrogen( well it's only 4 extra any way) so is this a good price. Thanks in advance

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

I got a quote from kwik fit for 310 that includes fitting,filled with nitrogen and tracking, disposal etc . My question is are
Pirelli P6000 a good all round tyre( performance,economy, good in wet etc) also is there a big bennefit in having them fills with nitrogen( well it's only 4 extra any way) so is this a good price. Thanks in advance

What size is that for the tyres? In general, okay for motorway miles. Not a premium performer though, but will last ages. Nitrogen is pointless. Air is free in every other garage!

Re tracking, is this the correct four-wheel alignment?

#3 HeadShoT2009

HeadShoT2009

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

What would u suggest is a good all round performer( Eco, performance,etc) as idont do alot of motorway as college is in town and so is work and my house. Also what did u mean by the last thing bout tracking

#4 hillmangimp

hillmangimp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCI
Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

I had P6000's on my Clio, found these to be a good all rounder and the price I paid was ok. the tyres were fitted in 2007, fronts were replaced last year, and I have one rear left which is in good condition (the other rear was replaced due to being too badly damged after being struck by an object). As SilverFox said they will last ages. I also found their performance in the wet to be good too.

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

What would u suggest is a good all round performer( Eco, performance,etc) as idont do alot of motorway as college is in town and so is work and my house. Also what did u mean by the last thing bout tracking

average tyres really not great in the wet forget nitrogen its a waste of time as almost nowhere sells or has niitrogen and you cant tiop up with standard air just tell them to put good old fashioned air in the tyres

#6 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

The Ford Focus has independent rear suspension, thus simply tracking the front wheels (regular tracking) is pointless - you need to have all four wheels aligned correctly, else it can cause the back end to skip about.

The P6000 is okay. As long as you don't chav about in the wet, they are more than fine. If you might find yourself in the wet at speed for whatever reason, there are better tyres out there. Eagle NCT5 are a better choice in my opinion.

#7 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.5T ST-2
  • Year: 2008

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

The Ford Focus has independent rear suspension, thus simply tracking the front wheels (regular tracking) is pointless - you need to have all four wheels aligned correctly, else it can cause the back end to skip about.

The P6000 is okay. As long as you don't chav about in the wet, they are more than fine. If you might find yourself in the wet at speed for whatever reason, there are better tyres out there. Eagle NCT5 are a better choice in my opinion.

"Chav about in the wet" Ive got a set of these on my 1.6 and on warm sunny days there mint and they do last a lifetime but in the wet and cold there absoutly shocking if your a hard driver like me they seem to make the car want to run wide all the time. As for prices try black circles i think mine were about 70quid a wheel fitted, mine are 16inch 50/sumin lol cant remember exactly.

Mike

#8 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

"Chav about in the wet" Ive got a set of these on my 1.6 and on warm sunny days there mint and they do last a lifetime but in the wet and cold there absoutly shocking if your a hard driver like me they seem to make the car want to run wide all the time. As for prices try black circles i think mine were about 70quid a wheel fitted, mine are 16inch 50/sumin lol cant remember exactly.

Mike

These were decent on my Fiesta MKIV, but not so hot on the Focus for some reason. That said, tyres do handle differently across different cars - I have Eagle F1 GSD3 on my MKII Focus and they were a far better tyre on my MKI ST170, lol.

#9 HeadShoT2009

HeadShoT2009

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

Are these any better Continental Conti-Premium Contact

#10 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

The Ford Focus has independent rear suspension.
Blimey i didn't know this. So i take it all focus models have this then? I thought when they do the laser tracking it covers all the wheels?

#11 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

The Ford Focus has independent rear suspension.
Blimey i didn't know this. So i take it all focus models have this then? I thought when they do the laser tracking it covers all the wheels?

No, the Fiesta doesn't have it ... yet.

And yes, the four wheel laser alignment covers all four wheels. As you can imagine, front tracking on a Fiesta for example, is easy, because the geometry of the rear wheels never changes (unless something is seriously wrong!). Rubbish garages will still try and only do the front wheels on the Focus though, so be weary.

#12 hillmangimp

hillmangimp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

The Conti's are probabaly a step up from the Pirelli's. I've got Conti Sport Contacts on my Focus, they offer good performance but can be noisy on some surfaces. I think the Premium contact will probably be better at supressing the noise but be down slightly on performance compared to the Sport Contact. But do shop around, I find Kwik Fit prices to be expensive, as an example when I had P6000's fitted they were TWICE the price at Kwik Fit!

#13 HeadShoT2009

HeadShoT2009

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

I've got a budget of 350 max, cheaper would be nicer but what I'm looking for is something that is good in wet but nic performancE aswell or a good all round performer is there any sugestions any will b apreciated thanks in advance

#14 hillmangimp

hillmangimp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

blackcircles.com have a load of reviews for tyres, might be useful to check it out.

#15 HeadShoT2009

HeadShoT2009

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

Cheers for the adviCe mate

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users