16 replies to this topic

#1 Maffoo

Maffoo

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk.7 Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:24 PM

Just a quick question... I'm from Leeds but currently live in London for uni but will (probably) be moving back next summer, and I may be moving house in August.

Should I register my car to my dad's address in Leeds? It's gonna be my only permanent address. Also, should I put my insurance address as there or London?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: Vauxhall Corsa
  • Year: 2011

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

See if you can get dual-location. Keeps your back covered because you're obviously going to get a cheaper quote from leeds than in london

#3 Maffoo

Maffoo

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

It would save me 300 :/

#4 Gazjs

Gazjs

Area Rep: Central and North Scotland (Detailing Obsessive)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk 6 Facelift
Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

Probably better stating the address it would mostly be kept at.

#5 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Hmm....I'm pretty sure you can make it so you have two addresses on your insurance documents.

#6 Jack_P

Jack_P

Local Rep: Northamptonshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST

You register the car and the insurance to your permanent address ( which i suppose is in leeds ) but notify your insurer that you have the car in london with you at uni. This is all just to cover your own !Removed! as you have told them everything and they cant then have you on the back foot :).
But obviously if and or when you change your permanent address then the insurers should be notified.

Hope this has come of any help :)

Jack_P

#7 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

The word ballache springs to mind!!

It would seem logical to put your official permenant address, stating that the car is kept elsewhere in term time

#8 Amie07

Amie07

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Ford Model: Ka zetec 09

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Just a quick question... I'm from Leeds but currently live in London for uni but will (probably) be moving back next summer, and I may be moving house in August.

Should I register my car to my dad's address in Leeds? It's gonna be my only permanent address. Also, should I put my insurance address as there or London?

Probably best 2 b totally upfront and honest with them and put the address it will actually b at most of the time because any excuse 2 get out of paying up should u need them 2 pay up and they'll jump on it. It is a bit of an !Removed! tho as being a student they're already ripping you off with your premiums I guess. Its not the cheapest or coolest answer but I'd say its better 2 b safe than sorry.

Saying that tho do u actually need your car while in London? If not maybe u could just put your Leeds home address, just that being a student you prob won't b sober much of the time anyway so car not really practical?!

#9 Maffoo

Maffoo

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

Yeah I do need it. I'm not in central London, I'm out in Harrow to the North West. Just like any other small town (with a super posh exclusive school) in the country.

#10 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

I'd just ring up an insurance company and see what they say, you can't loose anything.

Don't ask for a quote straight off, just explain what to do in your situation :)

#11 Amie07

Amie07

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Ford Model: Ka zetec 09

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

I'd just ring up an insurance company and see what they say, you can't loose anything.

Don't ask for a quote straight off, just explain what to do in your situation :)

Seems sensible. I'm sure they have procedures 4 students away from home ie. Like someone said earlier where you can put 2 addresses. And atleast it won't get pinched out in harrow!

#12 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

You've just got to cover your back. If something like theft happened when it was parked up in Harrow and your address was Leeds, they'd question why it was in Harrow. Then they'd probably be able to find out pretty easily that you're a student down there and the likelihoods being you spend a lot of time there, unbeknown to the insurance company.

They spend ALOT of money on professionals to try and find any loopholes which mean they don't have to pay out!

#13 jason4746

jason4746

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

i am currently a uni student and my insurance company (admiral) put me down under the employment category as been a student not living with parents. which allows 2 addresses on the insurance , so my home address is in essex and my term time address is staffordshire where i am at uni

#14 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

my term time address is staffordshire where i am at uni

You'll be near me in term time then!! Don't shop at Sainsbury's in Stafford do we?!

#15 jason4746

jason4746

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

You'll be near me in term time then!! Don't shop at Sainsbury's in Stafford do we?!

i do sometimes, but mainly shop at tescos as its cheaper and you dont have to pay for parking hehe! . small world :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users