Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lower Arms And Ball Joints

mcouchard

Hi all, I took the Focus into a dealer to get it serviced yesterday and they said that both the lower suspension arms needed replacing because the ball joint seals were split and quoted me £315 for the pleasure :lol: . I declined their kind offer to fleece me as I already knew about the seals and the independant I use said not to worry abou them until they start making a lot of noise. What do you think is it something thats urgent or shall I just leave it for a bit, I just don't want it to damage any of the other suspension components it only had new springs last year.

Also is it best to replace the whole lower arm or should I ask for just the ball joints to be drilled out and replaced, has anyone done the job DIY and is it as straight forward as it looks (replacing the arm)? Does anyone have experience of using pattern parts over Ford parts as they are a lot cheaper £32/51 vs £105(dealer quoted.

Thanks, Matthew

I would wait till they start knocking....not going to damage anything else like your springs so dont worry about that, as for pattern parts you get waht you pay for..... depending on the area you live, speed ramps etc pattern arms are not as sturdy as gen ford ones and also with the ford arms you get a years parts AND labour warranty so you just chuck it at a dealers to fix even if you fitted the arms yourself!!!

I would wait till they start knocking....not going to damage anything else like your springs so dont worry about that, as for pattern parts you get waht you pay for..... depending on the area you live, speed ramps etc pattern arms are not as sturdy as gen ford ones and also with the ford arms you get a years parts AND labour warranty so you just chuck it at a dealers to fix even if you fitted the arms yourself!!!

Thanks for you're reply. although I do seem to feel the parts advice is somewhat biased to your trade 'Ford-Parts-centre' I doubt that Pattern parts would be so vastly inferior to genuine parts. They will still have to match similar quality standards even if the pattern parts are less durable, they are still a third or half the price. I was merely asking about whether people had experienced problems fitting pattern parts as can sometimes be the case.

Thanks for you're reply. although I do seem to feel the parts advice is somewhat biased to your trade 'Ford-Parts-centre' I doubt that Pattern parts would be so vastly inferior to genuine parts. They will still have to match similar quality standards even if the pattern parts are less durable, they are still a third or half the price. I was merely asking about whether people had experienced problems fitting pattern parts as can sometimes be the case.

I'm hurt you could say such a thing lol, Seriously though I have Been a taxi driver at one stage and know whats lasts and what doesnt....if you dont believe me ask the horses mouth go to your local rank and ask the lads...pads and discs you can sometimes getaway with but suspension parts that take alot of punishment , well you get what you pay for...... but thats my opinion and no one needs to listen.

I'm hurt you could say such a thing lol, Seriously though I have Been a taxi driver at one stage and know whats lasts and what doesnt....if you dont believe me ask the horses mouth go to your local rank and ask the lads...pads and discs you can sometimes getaway with but suspension parts that take alot of punishment , well you get what you pay for...... but thats my opinion and no one needs to listen.

Okay thanks, sorry for doubting your conviction. I will keep it in mind, its the wife's car and she doesn't slow down as much I would like her too for speed humps as it is, so you probably have a point but the extra cost does seem a bit excessive.

ok no probs...if you do decide to go for gen ones i can do you them on a special £86.64 full arm or £38.68 ball joint

ok no probs...if you do decide to go for gen ones i can do you them on a special £86.64 full arm or £38.68 ball joint

Thanks, does that include VAT and postage? My dealer said Ford don't sell the ball joints seperately.

postage £10, vat included, it was a mk 2 yes?

postage £10, vat included, it was a mk 2 yes?

No it's last of the Mk1's 54 plate registered 2005.

ahh ok...ball joints not seperate but could do full arms for £73.10 inc vat each plus £10 postage

ahh ok...ball joints not seperate but could do full arms for £73.10 inc vat each plus £10 postage

Okay thanks, well I'll have a look this evening and see if its a job I can do myself first, before buying any parts.