Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Disadvantages Blanking Egr Tdci 2,0 130Bhp

tdci stevie

Hi, was just wondering if theres any disadavntages of blanking the EGR off on my mondeo?

Do you have to take blank off when its M.O.T time...?

Many Thanks in advance

if you have the euro 3 engine there are no disadvantages in blocking, the advantages are smother running, better mpg and less smoke. the mot only do a smoke test so there shoud be no problem there which is why a lot of people also decat the mondeo,this link may help

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/EGR_Valve_-_Blocking_On_A_Mk3

How do i tell if its Euro 3 or Euro 4..?

Its a 2004, 2.0 96KW, TDCi, 130 bhp, Duratorq, 6 speed box...

The EGR has no electrical connector on the top below is a pic of EGR

Any help most appreciated.

Have read about blanking plates from eBay £3.50...?

post-7883-126916882825_thumb.jpg

if theres no electrical connector then its a euro3. blanking plates will do the same job, you can make them yourself if you use the metal gasket from the egr as a patten.

How do i tell if its Euro 3 or Euro 4..?

Its a 2004, 2.0 96KW, TDCi, 130 bhp, Duratorq, 6 speed box...

The EGR has no electrical connector on the top below is a pic of EGR

Any help most appreciated.

Have read about blanking plates from Ebay £3.50...?

It's exactly the same design as mine by the looks of it, i've got an 05 plate with the euro 3 and its made a marked difference. using a plain blanking plate is ok, but i fitted the proper replacement to mine as then you do get a cleaner, uninterrupted airflow to the engine by removing the actuator rod that runs from the vacuum unit on the side to the valve itself, its also advisable to whip the manifold off and give it a thorough clean as this gets just as manky as the valve. I used brake & clutch cleaner (2 tins) when i done mine although any degreaser should work fine, together with an alloy wheel brush to get right inside the manifold B)

. using a plain blanking plate is ok, but i fitted the proper replacement to mine as then you do get a cleaner, uninterrupted airflow to the engine by removing the actuator rod that runs from the vacuum unit on the side to the valve itself

Hi what is proper replacement removing actuautor rod from vaccum unit..?

Is This it in pic below?

post-7883-126925183656_thumb.jpg

Fitted blanking plate from whisket tin today!

Feels more responsive and no eml on...... after a 50 mile run...

Will post if improvement on mpg...

Thanks for the advice for those who gave :D

Hi what is proper replacement removing actuautor rod from vaccum unit..?

Is This it in pic below?

thats the one, i paid about £65, but it's well worth the money as the parts are really well made, its even got a connector for a boost gauge if you want to fit one, although i haven't bothered. If you look inside the original valve it'll have a rod running across from the vacuum unit to the valve plate, this can 'upset' the airflow, the replacement unit has a smooth bore so it gives a better, cleaner flow (a bit like the effect polishing and porting a metal manifold has). It is a fair bit of outlay, but in my opinion its well worth it, also try fitting a k&n or similar direct replacement panel filter, i paid about £46 from sca race & rally in norwich, but you can probably find them on eBay a bit cheaper, hope this helps B)

thats the one, i paid about £65, but it's well worth the money as the parts are really well made, its even got a connector for a boost gauge if you want to fit one, although i haven't bothered. If you look inside the original valve it'll have a rod running across from the vacuum unit to the valve plate, this can 'upset' the airflow, the replacement unit has a smooth bore so it gives a better, cleaner flow (a bit like the effect polishing and porting a metal manifold has). It is a fair bit of outlay, but in my opinion its well worth it, also try fitting a k&n or similar direct replacement panel filter, i paid about £46 from sca race & rally in norwich, but you can probably find them on ebay a bit cheaper, hope this helps cool.gif

notr sure about fords but on the vws it would eventually cause the mil to light up and cause running probs which was why they were usually changed back it did make the car more responsive but as to wether it causes any negative effects is still debated

• Like 1

notr sure about fords but on the vws it would eventually cause the mil to light up and cause running probs which was why they were usually changed back it did make the car more responsive but as to wether it causes any negative effects is still debated

Apparently it won't have any negative effect on a diesel engine as the emissions don't really warrant an egr system, although i'm not sure how true this is. I did look into the pros and cons before fitting it and decided it was worth doing, its been on since about mid october last year and i've done about 7500 miles with it fitted and had no problems at all, and it was fine on emissions at mot time (too clean to give a readout on the test machine), think the legal limit is something like 3.57% and mine was less than 0.5% so up to now i'm well happy with it, have kept the original part though just in case, you never know with all the sensors and things on modern engines :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Would adding this blanking plate not throw up an error with the engine management system? As there is no egr flow wouldn't the engine management light illuminate on the dashboard?

the light would only show if it was a euro4 engine.

• 3 years later...

the light would only show if it was a euro4 engine.

Now you say this, but every few hundred miles the check engine light on my Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCI is coming on and the error code is inadequate EGR flow. (Previous owner put a blanking plate in)

There is NO electrical connector to my EGR, just a vacuum actuator and I should know as it has come out completely for cleaning.

IMG_1267.MOVhere we go again! no seriously,check your hoses etc.better mpg & less smoke??? Im averaging 50 odd mpg right now with a new egr replaced,& NO smoke. Have you done a diagnostics on your car with the likes of PCMscan etc? Hows your MAF/MAP sensors? Up until a few days ago, my EGR went up,& was getting 41mpg average,and smoking like hell!. Bought new EGR(my cars is a Euro4),installed it,& my cars returning 50 odd average & 47.4 around town. and voila,car is pulling like a train,& no smoke whatsoever.took a wee video of it earlier today,but photobucket quality is crap. shows 53.9/54mpg & 60odd miles driven at 75/80mph.(had to slow down to let my passenger behind me take the video ahem).By the time I got home it was at 55mpg bang on.

If your car is smoking,theneither a sensor is boogered,or injector could be on way out etc. My point: there's a reason your car's smoking etc. get to the bottom of that problem(NOT EGR),then you wont have to blank it.trust me. Im 100% right even though some on here like to think its prudent to blank em.All that smoke' is,is unburnt fuel because there isnt enough combination of the right things to burn it efficiently.just noticed you've already blanked it.unfortunate cos now your car's not burning efficiently & you aint gonna know why. If i were you,get it diagnosed to see whats not right.

I take it,you blanked it because of smoke???

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/stooge75/media/IMG_1267_zps189c4dfe.mp4.html