Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus

coll247

hi all i have a 99 t plate focus what im wanting to know if anyone can help is does the engine shake a little when idling and it can be felt through the car checked engine mounts idle sensor been cleaned out what is the idle speed it says 700+30 in the haynes manual. but where on the rev counter does the needle go its about the first line under the 1000 mark. when you put your ear next to the fuel pressure reg its making a noise could they block up. car as been stood a bit its done 82600 at the min. its had a service at 80000 timing belt kit done bought the car about 2 months since any help would be appreciated thanx !!!!

Hi - could it be the ignition coil? My car has been idling rough for a while - has 92K and is regularly serviced and it suddenly started juddering whilst I was driving it this week. Called the RAC as I am a member and he put in a new coil and end of problem. RAC also changed the spark plugs and HT leads but that was because it was part of a kit. £99. There are various tests you can do to check but you need to google them.

Hi - could it be the ignition coil? My car has been idling rough for a while - has 92K and is regularly serviced and it suddenly started juddering whilst I was driving it this week. Called the RAC as I am a member and he put in a new coil and end of problem. RAC also changed the spark plugs and HT leads but that was because it was part of a kit. £99. There are various tests you can do to check but you need to google them.

the zetec isnt a smooth idler anyway so a tiny shake is normal depends how bad the shake is to be honest idle is correct 670-730rpm i know it seems low but thats what it is do the dash trick it will tell you what the exact apeed is youll find the how to on the sticky at the top of the forum check all pipes for splits especially the one at the rear of the engine under the throttle body see if its collapsing when the engines running also pcv valve could cause the shudder

the zetec isnt a smooth idler anyway so a tiny shake is normal depends how bad the shake is to be honest idle is correct 670-730rpm i know it seems low but thats what it is do the dash trick it will tell you what the exact apeed is youll find the how to on the sticky at the top of the forum check all pipes for splits especially the one at the rear of the engine under the throttle body see if its collapsing when the engines running also pcv valve could cause the shudder

you can tell its there you can see the engine shaking.my inlet manifold is at the front.their is no pipe round the back of the engine

you can tell its there you can see the engine shaking.my inlet manifold is at the front.their is no pipe round the back of the engine

then the pcv valve is at the front somewhere i think youre best bet is to check for leaks from any of the hoses you may be needing a new coil pack new leads and plugs

Hi. pcv valve is ok.checked it today. and no leaks. it dies more when i put the lights and heated rear window on. i will try the coil pack at the weekend. let you know how i get on.

Hi. pcv valve is ok.checked it today. and no leaks. it dies more when i put the lights and heated rear window on. i will try the coil pack at the weekend. let you know how i get on.

the rear window is a high current draw item so it will die momentarily or should i say the speed will drop slightly then pick up again to normal as the voltage regulator increases the load it could be an idle control valve that you have an issue with

I would say try cleaning the idle control valve/EGR valve.

Check for whether your car needs the PCM update, there is a known bug which results in the eratic idle. Updating the ECU can solve this.

Also check your battery

Check for whether your car needs the PCM update, there is a known bug which results in the eratic idle. Updating the ECU can solve this.

Also check your battery

idle control valve is ok. it does not have a egr valve. battrey is ok too

Also check your battery

how much does the PCM update cost. and can it only be done a ford.

how much does the PCM update cost. and can it only be done a ford.

the pcm only applies if youre rpm at idle drop below 500 and cause the car to stall or whgen you slow down at a junction and the revs drop very low causing the car to stall in basics 80 quid for the diagnostic then another 150-200 for the pcm upgrade if you were effected you woul;d have had a recall youre revs are 700 or more so why would you need the pcm done you are idling at exactly what you should be you switch the rear heater on and it drops then picks up thats normal the more electrics yopu hgave on the more strain on the alternator trust me the pcm has npthing to do with it it had nowt to do with rough idle and was about cars idling so low they stalled alll the time the pcm raised there idle back up to 700 rpm

from bba reman....Ford Focus 1999Problem: Engine sometimes stalls.

Solution: The PCM may have incorrect calibration parameters. Don't assume the vehicle calibration is the problem. Use a diagnostic scanner to perform a full engine diagnostic. If this doesn't resolve the problem, re-program the module. The calibration amendments are loaded onto Ford Dealer CD28a and will prevent the vehicle from stalling.

the pcm only applies if youre rpm at idle drop below 500 and cause the car to stall or whgen you slow down at a junction and the revs drop very low causing the car to stall in basics 80 quid for the diagnostic then another 150-200 for the pcm upgrade if you were effected you woul;d have had a recall youre revs are 700 or more so why would you need the pcm done you are idling at exactly what you should be you switch the rear heater on and it drops then picks up thats normal the more electrics yopu hgave on the more strain on the alternator trust me the pcm has npthing to do with it it had nowt to do with rough idle and was about cars idling so low they stalled alll the time the pcm raised there idle back up to 700 rpm

from bba reman....Ford Focus 1999Problem: Engine sometimes stalls.

Solution: The PCM may have incorrect calibration parameters. Don't assume the vehicle calibration is the problem. Use a diagnostic scanner to perform a full engine diagnostic. If this doesn't resolve the problem, re-program the module. The calibration amendments are loaded onto Ford Dealer CD28a and will prevent the vehicle from stalling.

The engine does,nt stall it idles ok. it just shudders like when you draw power from the battery.

hi.i have a similar problem with my 16i zetec.been to see a mechanic today and told him the problem and he said to firstly clean the idle control valve and also something that is next to it(cant remember what its called)my focus is juddery and revs seem too low,the revs always drop down when im doin the window up.and also when i try to boot it it has like a delay in the power and will judder for a second before it gets going(which is really doin my head in)the mechanic also said something about the alternator not charging properly cuz the revs are too low.il let you know what happens ,im hopefully having it done on friday.

hi.i have a similar problem with my 16i zetec.been to see a mechanic today and told him the problem and he said to firstly clean the idle control valve and also something that is next to it(cant remember what its called)my focus is juddery and revs seem too low,the revs always drop down when im doin the window up.and also when i try to boot it it has like a delay in the power and will judder for a second before it gets going(which is really doin my head in)the mechanic also said something about the alternator not charging properly cuz the revs are too low.il let you know what happens ,im hopefully having it done on friday.

the revs drop when you do the window up[ becuse the motor uses a lot of power secondly it reduces the power to stop damage to the motor ands the focus is designed to idle at 730 +/-30 rpm so the alternator parts a load of rubbish mate if it wasnt charging right the vbattery would start to go flat i think you need a new mechanic i mean that in the honest sense of the word most garages have no idea the focus has smart charge and couldnt tell you what it does they dont even know its meant to haqve a silver calcium lead calcium battery the good ones do idle is controlled by the ecu not the idle control valve ifg the speed is below 690 rpm then it needs diagnosed with the computer otherwise the ecu is controlling the speed spend a few hundred trying to fix it replacing bits and still have the same issue take it to ford theyll likely check it and hand it back not trying to sound rude but im trying to save you from spending a fortune for nothing switch the rear heater on with it idling the revs will drop slightly and pick back up why its a high draw component it does it on every car the window switch is the same the motor draws a lot of power thats why it drops momentarily and picks back up as its meant to

when mine is idling it stays on the mark below the 1000rpm mark.i didnt know that this happened with the revs dropping and it being normal.i always pressumed there was a problem.maybe wont take it in on friday then??what do you reckon the jumpiness is when i put my foot down.it seems like its holding back for a few seconds before it gains speed.thanks for info mate.appreciate it

when mine is idling it stays on the mark below the 1000rpm mark.i didnt know that this happened with the revs dropping and it being normal.i always pressumed there was a problem.maybe wont take it in on friday then??what do you reckon the jumpiness is when i put my foot down.it seems like its holding back for a few seconds before it gains speed.thanks for info mate.appreciate it

that mark is spot on mate they go up in 250rpm stages so thats right the jumpiness could be a few things coil pack possibly as its a common thing to go it would be hard to say for certain ide advise having that part checked out as it could be pcv valve needing replaced or pcv hose collapsed it could be coil p[ack and leads but if i had to lay my bets ide say new leads coil pack and plugs the focus idles very low as normal and it doesnt do it smoothly most cars idle 850-900 rpm however the focus doeas it to keep the emissions low most new cars now idle the same or lower golf for example idles at 600rpm the dip is because the alternator is connected toa 7.5 amp fuse which makes it pulse the dip using buttons happens momentarily then the voltage regulatpor through the ecu tells the idle valve to open a bit more to compensate and the revs go back up easy way to tell is switch the rear heater on and listen the revs will drop then pick back up again as it should jumpiness sounds like its misfiring so coil pack and leads

cheers mate.will get that done asap.nice to know the revs are fine.(1 less worry off my mind)its good to have advice off someone who knows what they are on about.thanks

thanx mate look forward to it hope its right afterwards

it felt different today driving the focus.probably because now i know the low revs is not a problem and is the norm.to be honest i havnt really noticed it as much(must be peace of mind.lol)one thing i was wondering though was if anyone has had the same problem as me with the dials.evrytime i start the car up all the dials(rev counter,speedo,temp and fuel gauge)go straight up to the max then drop back down and then go to where they should be.say if i started the car up 20 times it would normally do it 19 and wouldnt do it just the once.its not a major problem but things like that get to me so any help would be great.cheers

it felt different today driving the focus.probably because now i know the low revs is not a problem and is the norm.to be honest i havnt really noticed it as much(must be peace of mind.lol)one thing i was wondering though was if anyone has had the same problem as me with the dials.evrytime i start the car up all the dials(rev counter,speedo,temp and fuel gauge)go straight up to the max then drop back down and then go to where they should be.say if i started the car up 20 times it would normally do it 19 and wouldnt do it just the once.its not a major problem but things like that get to me so any help would be great.cheers

that means the cluster is stuck in test mode so it shouldnt do that when you start the car the fuel gauge should go to wherever it should ie halfway if you have half a tank the mph should not move until the car does and revs should sit around 1000rpm sounds very much like you may need a new cluster ford c an test it and have to replace it at a cost of 99 pounds and only that no more no less after it was shown on watch dog alternatively replacing it with a cluster from the scrapyard though youde ned one close to the mileage thats on youre car so you need ford to check the dash cluster for you

by cluster do you mean the whole dial console??its ok to drive with.will have to get it done in a few months.cheers mate

by cluster do you mean the whole dial console??its ok to drive with.will have to get it done in a few months.cheers mate

yeh the dials mate