james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

I asked what gains i would get and i end up causing an argument.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

I asked what gains i would get and i end up causing an argument.

That's an easy answer, none that would be worthwhile.

#18 Nico.

Nico.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: Ford fiesta MK7
  • Year: 2009

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

sorry but do you ever seem to give a nice answer?! haha i do admit if you get a 1.4 its quicker than mine but still you aint got a beast have you so just enjoy it for what it is... i like mine think its fun to drive but just lacks abit of power

#19 Jason Tierney

Jason Tierney

Local Rep: Yorkshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 MK7 Fiesta Zetec S Ti-VCT

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

Ask around a few companies- just email them about it. usually on N/A small engined cars its around 7-10% so at best will go from 96 to 105ish.

Its not alot for a few hundered quid, your have to think about the what if ford manage to find it( Say your ecu gets damaged by a bad remap) or your insurance and its not declared(not likley but still a what if)

Mapping the 1.6 is worth more, but theres not alot of people out there that have done(apart from montuned ones but there map cant be adding alot as it adds 20 with the exhaust and manifold aswell) and I wouldnt want to for a while once i get mine, would like to see results of other peoples.

But some companies ive asked around can get it up around 18bhp extra, not far off montunes performance, for a few hundered quid compared to 1400. But again you have the same reliability and insurance issues.

Edit- Your Sig picutre looks ace- the fiesta looks good sitting next to that jag Nico, and thats saying something about the styling of them!

#20 Nico.

Nico.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

Edit- Your Sig picutre looks ace- the fiesta looks good sitting next to that jag Nico, and thats saying something about the styling of them!

thats what i thought !

#21 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

sorry but do you ever seem to give a nice answer?

Just honest ones, whether they be nice or not is immaterial and not much point in saying things just to be nice, is it. That'll get nobody anywhere.

! haha i do admit if you get a 1.4 its quicker than mine but still you aint got a beast have you so just enjoy it for what it is... i like mine think its fun to drive but just lacks abit of power

Exactly, it is what it is and isn't going to be any different by spending around 300 for someone to alter the mapping. Unfortunately (well that's a matter of opinion), young people can't afford to insure quick cars these days, so people should be happy with what they have and wait till they can afford something a bit quicker further along the line. The imaptience of youth I think it's called.

#22 Jack_P

Jack_P

Local Rep: Northamptonshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

When i got my fiesta it FELT quick, only because i had gone from a 1L powerhouse of pain vw polo and it provided that extra Poke.
But the 1.4 Isnt quick, tbh it still suits me and i still enjoy it, so thats all that matters :)

If you want to get it chipped get it chipped its your choice, but it may not weigh up enough with the ratio of Power Gain: Cost.

Jack

#23 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

When i got my fiesta it FELT quick, only because i had gone from a 1L powerhouse of pain vw polo and it provided that extra Poke.
But the 1.4 Isnt quick, tbh it still suits me and i still enjoy it, so thats all that matters :)

If you want to get it chipped get it chipped its your choice, but it may not weigh up enough with the ratio of Power Gain: Cost.

Jack

It's all in the mind :)

For me, going from MKIV 1.25 Fiesta to Focus ST170 was definitely a big step up and it was a reasonably nippy car. It felt fast to me (the ST225 felt FAR quicker), and that's all that mattered. I know it wasn't that fast in the grand scheme of things though.

Personally, a fast car is one thing, but I'd MUCH prefer a car that corners well than goes fast when I put my foot down - anyone can make a car go faster, but it takes a lot more effort to make one that handles well.

It also requires more skill from the driver to corner well than just drive in a straight line too. Combined, a car can be great fun, but it's the sort of thing that should be left on the track as hardly any roads in Britain are suitable for spirited driving these days. Or are clogged by clampets with caravans (I despise caravans).

No surprises then, that the Fiesta handles best in its class by a country mile, eh? The ST170 was also extremely agile and was punching well above its weight in the corners for sure.

#24 Nico.

Nico.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

agree with the last bit... test drove a few cars and the fiesta left them all standing, even my dad said that..

but to be honest i know i have a 1.25 which is only a beast when you compare it too a knitting machine, but i enjoy it, feels quick and sporty so keeps me happy!

#25 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

agree with the last bit... test drove a few cars and the fiesta left them all standing, even my dad said that..

but to be honest i know i have a 1.25 which is only a beast when you compare it too a knitting machine, but i enjoy it, feels quick and sporty so keeps me happy!

People do tend to worry too much about what toys someone else is playing with, rather than getting on and enjoying their own. My dad conceded defeat that even the MKIV Fiesta handled brilliantly and I've no doubt it's still better than some small cars today, which for a 1996 release is impressive.

#26 Nico.

Nico.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

i just hate the fact that i know the car is capable of so much more,,, you hear all these write ups sayin the chassis aint even being tested and that raving about it but then its got a hamster under the bonnet

#27 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

i just hate the fact that i know the car is capable of so much more,,, you hear all these write ups sayin the chassis aint even being tested and that raving about it but then its got a hamster under the bonnet

Which is right but that's all down to Ford's marketing. To think the ZS is the most powerful model at the moment and the performance from that 1.6 is embarrassing, looking at the opposition. Yes, it's a nicer car than most if not all to drive, but at the moment, I think Ford have made an error in not releasing a more powerful version (circa 160 - 180bhp).

I was having a quick look at a feature in Autocar the other day and every car was much quicker than the ZS, some had 1.4 engines. :o

Alfa do three 1.4's that are quicker than the ZS and most of it's competitors trump the Fiesta in the powerplant stakes.

#28 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

I was having a quick look at a feature in Autocar the other day and every car was much quicker than the ZS, some had 1.4 engines. :o

Alfa do three 1.4's that are quicker than the ZS and most of it's competitors trump the Fiesta in the powerplant stakes.

Everyone always does though ...

The last Fiesta ST was out-done by the Clio Sport, Corsa VXR and the 206 GTi etc. Maybe the handling was on-par, but engine-wise, a poor show. Yet I've seen far more Fiesta ST's on the road than any of the others ... perhaps to go as far as saying more than the others combined!

Same with most lines in Ford cars, with the ST225/RS being a close exception (though not completely, as there are quicker cars in the same class and only a few slower). The Mondeo seriously lacks a large diesel engine and perhaps a large petrol (the 2.5T is still not as good as the GM/BMW/Audi 3.0 6-pots).

However, despite Ford's approach to not being the quickest, their quality and handling is always above par. I suppose their sales figures (along with perhaps cheaper insurance groups?) reflect this. Ford have a great marketing strategy!

#29 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Titanuim Dress Up Kit, 17s

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Which is right but that's all down to Ford's marketing. To think the ZS is the most powerful model at the moment and the performance from that 1.6 is embarrassing, looking at the opposition. Yes, it's a nicer car than most if not all to drive, but at the moment, I think Ford have made an error in not releasing a more powerful version (circa 160 - 180bhp).

Are you thinking of the Mito, because I test drove it and came close to going fot that, then i sat and went thru some of the real world figures, its way to expensive, and in regards to the engine, they are pretty poor, in fact the biggest thing for owners was the MPG, for a 1.4 in them, even the multi air engines, was shockingly poor.

Best part was when out for a test drive in it, in an industrial estate the dealer tried to impress me by flooring it and throwing it into a corner....unfortunaly all I responded with was how much under steer the car had. :D

#30 Nightowl

Nightowl

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium 3-door + full bodykit Squeeze

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

The current best engines - without doubt - are the new VW engines which are found in the new Golf, Polo, Audi's new A1 and Seat's, etc.

They recently won the world's best engine award - so don't just take my word!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users