Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is A Spare Tyre Really Necessary?

cyb

121 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had need to use your spare tyre?

• Yes because I had a flat tyre
    • Yes because there was no tread left on my other wheel
    • No I have never had need to use a spare
    • No never used one, carrying it around must have cost me an arm and a leg in extra fuel costs

I can certainly understand why people would prefer to have the spare. A spare has saved me on many occasion!

When I ordered my Zetec s recently, the dealer explained about the new foam and compressor in place of a spare and I thought he was bonkers.

I soon realized though that this option would be better for me. As I'm disabled (affects most of body) I couldn't change a spare anyway and would have to use my free rac cover (as motability car) . But I could use the foam myself and not have to wait for someone to rescue me. I get free tyre replacements so if I needed a new wheel this would be easy enough to sort.

Em

Only problem with the inflation pack is it can't fix big holes and when the tyre is replaced the rim needs cleaning.

Space saver looks silly and reduce your speed but at least it enables you to get to somewhere safer if on a motorway.

The official Police recommendation is if you have a puncture on a Motorway or busy road without a safe layby in which to work, then call a recovery service to replace the tyre as at least then they have highly visible vehicles which makes it safer for all.

It is definitely not advised to try changing tyres on a hard shoulder, get out of the vehicle and call recovery or Police if no recovery held.

I have assisted at motorway collisions where someone changing a tyre on a hard shoulder has been clipped by another driver and it's not nice.

The unfortunate effect of a car in trouble on the side of a motorway is that when drivers look at the car they seem to drift in that direction and then end up broaching the hard shoulder.

I would say YES I have had run flats for the last few years on my last car BMW M Sport so no problem,

But now with the Fiesta I would say yes, As it happens my car came with a spare free of charge,

Just for the peace of mind ( YES ) If you don't like the 50 mph spare then buy a proper wheel it will fit in the boot well. :)

• 1 year later...

Drove 5 years and never had a puncture. a couple months back i had one and well thankfully i had the tyre.

On the new Fiesta you can have the repair kit for free and the sapre for 100€. But if you take the spare tyre they take away the kit. Dumb IMO. I took the Spare tyre cause you can fix a leak with the kit but not a hole. with a spare tyre you can fix both =)

Easy as that. And its a spare "real tyre" not those small thin ones BMW have lol

I really should put my spare wheel in my car, nabbed it out of my previous Fiesta :P

• Like 1

I really should put my spare wheel in my car, nabbed it out of my previous Fiesta :P

Wont hurt

Wont hurt

Oh it would if you saw the state of the garage I have to fight through to get it :P

• Like 2

Oh it would if you saw the state of the garage I have to fight through to get it :P

lol put it in the car already

Think I will take the one out of my Focus and put it in to the Fiesta when I get it ... The dirty ford guys aren't getting that wheel or my stereo for the amount they are getting it for as Part-ex!

Do you think carrying the spare tyre would make a noticeable different to fuel economy / performance?

Do you think carrying the spare tyre would make a noticeable different to fuel economy / performance?

It makes a surprisingly large difference, - enough to effect the official mpg figures - a full size 16" five stud (Focus or Mondeo) wheel/tyre weighs 17.4 kgs, with the jack/ brace brings it up to 20kgs,

a 5stud spacesaver is about 11kgs

and a tin of tyreweld/ small compressor is about 1 to 2 kgs

If the manufacturer supplies the car without a spare as standard, it is allowed to run the car in the official government test like that, and the car is often supplied (for the test) without optional extras that would affect the mpg

The Fiestas full-size spare would be a bit lighter than the Focus/Mondeo one, but possibly a higher percentage of the overall weight

So it definately makes a difference to economy

As for performance, i would say yes, the extra weight is noticeable, to the acceleration, braking traction (FWD) and handling, if you are a keen driver. A "regular" driver may not notice the difference ("on paper", its probably only 10ths of a second difference)

• 3 weeks later...

No.

Yes, of course it does, the (full size) spare/ jack/ brace weighs almost 20kgs and we know that extra weight reduces MPG and reduces the power-to-weight ratio -

In saloon car racing they add weight to slow the winning cars down and level the field - (sucess ballast- upto 45kgs) - it works

Yes, of course it does, the (full size) spare/ jack/ brace weighs almost 20kgs and we know that extra weight reduces MPG and reduces the power-to-weight ratio -

In saloon car racing they add weight to slow the winning cars down and level the field - (sucess ballast- upto 45kgs) - it works

I think noticeable is the key word here :)

• 1 month later...

The spare is only useful if you remember to keep it inflated;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club