Photo
- - - - -

Is A Spare Tyre Really Necessary?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Is A Spare Tyre Really Necessary? (121 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you had need to use your spare tyre?

1. Yes because I had a flat tyre (79 votes [62.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.20%

2. Yes because there was no tread left on my other wheel (6 votes [4.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

3. No I have never had need to use a spare (28 votes [22.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.05%

4. No never used one, carrying it around must have cost me an arm and a leg in extra fuel costs (14 votes [11.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 ONETrueSaturday

ONETrueSaturday

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Name: Darrell
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S 120Bhp
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Having had punctures in tyres where the hole would would have been too big for a foam repair I would say that a spare wheel is defo a good thing to have. Without it, I would have been stuck waiting for the AA.

(Touch wood) the Fiesta's been lucky so far but I am happy that I have the piece of mind by having a spare wheel in the boot too!

After my blowout a few months back, then I'd say yes lol <_<

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 eyemdee

eyemdee

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4 Titanium Automatic
  • Year: 2011

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Last puncture I had was on a dark wet windy night on an unlit major road where I couldn't safely pull over for almost a mile. The tyre was wrecked and goo would probably not have worked. I bought a spare wheel for my next car and my current Fiesta came with one. Peace of mind is worth the small cost of carting it around IMHO.

#48 harweyko

harweyko

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 1.6l Ti-VCT

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

It`s very brave to say I`ve had no puncture in 10 years so I do not need a spare... I`ve also done many miles in 8 years without any problems until... you can see below... 11pm, rain, road in middle of nowhere and I hit a hole full of water... and no foam or compressor would save me that day...

Posted Image

#49 stevestr

stevestr

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Just bought one on ebay with jack and wheel brace for £60.My son had a puncture on his honda and the repair kit did not work.Had to get one for peace of mind.

#50 dah

dah

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Name: dave
  • Ford Model: mk 7 Fiesta Titainum 1.6 TDCI

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yes i think so did 1100 miles in 5 days last week so mine gave me peace of mind .

#51 Emme

Emme

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name: Emma-Jayne
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2012

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

I can certainly understand why people would prefer to have the spare. A spare has saved me on many occasion!
When I ordered my Zetec s recently, the dealer explained about the new foam and compressor in place of a spare and I thought he was bonkers.

I soon realized though that this option would be better for me. As I'm disabled (affects most of body) I couldn't change a spare anyway and would have to use my free rac cover (as motability car) . But I could use the foam myself and not have to wait for someone to rescue me. I get free tyre replacements so if I needed a new wheel this would be easy enough to sort.

Em

#52 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,228 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Only problem with the inflation pack is it can't fix big holes and when the tyre is replaced the rim needs cleaning.
Space saver looks silly and reduce your speed but at least it enables you to get to somewhere safer if on a motorway.
The official Police recommendation is if you have a puncture on a Motorway or busy road without a safe layby in which to work, then call a recovery service to replace the tyre as at least then they have highly visible vehicles which makes it safer for all.
It is definitely not advised to try changing tyres on a hard shoulder, get out of the vehicle and call recovery or Police if no recovery held.
I have assisted at motorway collisions where someone changing a tyre on a hard shoulder has been clipped by another driver and it's not nice.
The unfortunate effect of a car in trouble on the side of a motorway is that when drivers look at the car they seem to drift in that direction and then end up broaching the hard shoulder.

#53 KEN*H

KEN*H

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: Ken
  • Ford Model: 1.4 Zetec petrol

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

I would say YES I have had run flats for the last few years on my last car BMW M Sport so no problem,
But now with the Fiesta I would say yes, As it happens my car came with a spare free of charge,

Just for the peace of mind ( YES ) If you don't like the 50 mph spare then buy a proper wheel it will fit in the boot well. :)

#54 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Name: Nicolas
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 2013 1.0 Ecoboost Racing Red
  • Year: 2013

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Drove 5 years and never had a puncture. a couple months back i had one and well thankfully i had the tyre.

On the new Fiesta you can have the repair kit for free and the sapre for 100€. But if you take the spare tyre they take away the kit. Dumb IMO. I took the Spare tyre cause you can fix a leak with the kit but not a hole. with a spare tyre you can fix both =)

Easy as that. And its a spare "real tyre" not those small thin ones BMW have lol

#55 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,519 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I really should put my spare wheel in my car, nabbed it out of my previous Fiesta :P

#56 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

I really should put my spare wheel in my car, nabbed it out of my previous Fiesta :P

Wont hurt

#57 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,519 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Wont hurt

Oh it would if you saw the state of the garage I have to fight through to get it :P

#58 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Oh it would if you saw the state of the garage I have to fight through to get it :P

lol put it in the car already

#59 Yokomoko

Yokomoko

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Name: adam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Think I will take the one out of my Focus and put it in to the Fiesta when I get it ... The dirty ford guys aren't getting that wheel or my stereo for the amount they are getting it for as Part-ex! 

#60 scotthunter

scotthunter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Metal

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Do you think carrying the spare tyre would make a noticeable different to fuel economy / performance? 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users