Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Place For Insurance?

Maffoo

It's coming to the inevitable day where I'm gonna have to buy insurance :( I get 7 days free with my Fez but need to pay for the rest, where's the best place to get a good deal?

I've tried Confused, Meerkat, MoneySupermarket and Tesco Compare and they're nothing amazing. Directline was a little more expensive too...

Any cheap companies not on comparison sites?

Also, I've been a named driver on my dad's policy, but not earning no claims... Do you think LV (his co) would give me a discount?

Try elephant .com

Im 23 with 2 claims against me, 0yrs NCB and an sp30 with 3 points. The car ive insured is a zetec s 1.6 petrol and the quote stated £936.42.

Hope that helps give comparison to yourself.

It's coming to the inevitable day where I'm gonna have to buy insurance :( I get 7 days free with my Fez but need to pay for the rest, where's the best place to get a good deal?

I've tried Confused, Meerkat, MoneySupermarket and Tesco Compare and they're nothing amazing. Directline was a little more expensive too...

Any cheap companies not on comparison sites?

Also, I've been a named driver on my dad's policy, but not earning no claims... Do you think LV (his co) would give me a discount?

The comparison sites get a huge commission from the insurers, just like brokers used to in the old days :angry: . It's worth using a "cashback" site where they just link to the individual insurers, but then pass the commission back to you when you buy. I've just renewed my insurance and switched from MoreThan to Aviva using Quidco.com. As well as Aviva's quote being £50 cheaper, Quidco will pass me the £75 (!) commission back to me after a couple of months. So £125 saved for a few minutes work...

To get the discount you have to switch each year, but all insurers are pretty much the same. And there's no reward for loyalty.

http://www.quidco.com/insurance-finance/insurance/motor/

(no connection except a happy user that's saved a few hundred quid over the last few years :D )

Hope this helps,

Antony.

Try elephant .com

Im 23 with 2 claims against me, 0yrs NCB and an sp30 with 3 points. The car ive insured is a zetec s 1.6 petrol and the quote stated £936.42.

Hope that helps give comparison to yourself.

Elephant / Admiral (etc - all part of one big company) seem to be pretty good for young drivers and seem to lower their premiums quite significantly if you add a more experienced driver as a named driver - I added my Mum to policy when I was with Admiral and it knocked about 1/4 off the premium!

They did however have rubbish customer service when I have been with either company - one changed my policy without telling me because they didn't think I'd want communting as I was technically a student and the other renewed my policy even after I told them not to.

I can reccommend aviva. Insurance for me (17 y/o boy, provisional license) as a named driver on my Mum's insurance for the car in my sig is £1068, which is a good few hundred quid cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

I'm afraid it's a long and laborious job trying to get insurance these days. Everyone is different and some companies offer good deals for some and not so good for others. Postcode is a major factor in this as well as age and experience. the only way to get it cheap(er) is spend half a day ringing round, trawling the internet etc etc.

I use Quinn Direct and they have always given me the cheapest quoute. I'm paying about £780 a year for my Zetec S 1.6 TDCi

Elephant / Admiral (etc - all part of one big company) seem to be pretty good for young drivers and seem to lower their premiums quite significantly if you add a more experienced driver as a named driver - I added my Mum to policy when I was with Admiral and it knocked about 1/4 off the premium!

They did however have rubbish customer service when I have been with either company - one changed my policy without telling me because they didn't think I'd want communting as I was technically a student and the other renewed my policy even after I told them not to.

Good call on the parent thing! Knocked a good £200 off :)

If you come to a meet I think I may owe you a drink :P

I can reccommend aviva. Insurance for me (17 y/o boy, provisional license) as a named driver on my Mum's insurance for the car in my sig is £1068, which is a good few hundred quid cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Aviva quoted me over £3500!! Aviva deal my !Removed!...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

All you need is in the above link.

Just set half a day aside and dont be afriad to put the phone down and turn down the lowest off someone gives you. You can always ring back if you cant get it cheaper else where, and they wont say no to your money.

Im sorting mine Tues, same Day i get paid and pay the full amount for the car- my poor bank balance :) but on tues its 20days till i can drive it away :D

Good call on the parent thing! Knocked a good £200 off :)

If you come to a meet I think I may owe you a drink :P

I do except cash or cheque...... :lol:

i'm on admiral i think my dad did all the insurance policies with us.. think there multi-car thing really did help for me saying mine is 1 of 3 on the drive

I do except cash or cheque...... :lol:

FYI getting money out of a Yorkshireman is like getting blood out of a stone :P

Admiral/elephant/bell are all part of the same group. Im about to do mine tomorrow night to start in april and have been quoted £770 on my fiesta with elephant, 2 years driving 2y ncb and a group B area to live in. Id try get a quote with them! (Y)

The comparison sites get a huge commission from the insurers, just like brokers used to in the old days :angry: . It's worth using a "cashback" site where they just link to the individual insurers, but then pass the commission back to you when you buy. I've just renewed my insurance and switched from MoreThan to Aviva using Quidco.com. As well as Aviva's quote being £50 cheaper, Quidco will pass me the £75 (!) commission back to me after a couple of months. So £125 saved for a few minutes work...

To get the discount you have to switch each year, but all insurers are pretty much the same. And there's no reward for loyalty.

http://www.quidco.com/insurance-finance/insurance/motor/

(no connection except a happy user that's saved a few hundred quid over the last few years :D )

Hope this helps,

Antony.

I also use Quidco - however if you use a comparison site first, then go to Quidco your cashback could be declined (this happened with my home insurance last year)

Aviva also quoted me £6500, i suppose it all depends on individual circumstances.

If only i could tell my insurer i actually live in the middle of nowhere with a gated drive down a cul-de-sac... :(

I've just been looking at some insurance quotes... think I need a lie down!

If you add a named driver who will rarely drive the car is there any risk to them for doing so? I.e Losing NCD if I have an accident or anything.

If I add my sister to my policy as a named driver on Elephant.co.uk then my premium goes down by £350!

Ive been with Virgin for a while now, and the current rate is £365.40, but without the 8 years no claims, and the uninsured loss recovery, it's £290.85.

When I did Tesco compare, Virgin came the cheapest to have all 4 category's!

I eventually wet direct to Admiral (way cheaper than the comparison sites... Including Admiral's quotes on them... And cheaper than Elephant)

Stuck my dad on as a named driver and did a 10 month booster policy (1 year NCB after 10 months instead of 12) and worked out about the same price as paying for the 12 months (by price per month)

Policy boosters are a complete waste of time - often the bonus is rejected by a new insurer, meaning the one year's NCD is actually only good with the insurer is was gained with - tying to you to them.

No there not? It just might make it hard for the online quote systems for 19yr olds that say have 2 years ncb but only been driving 20months.

I asked about the 10months bonus booster when I sorted my insurance last year and Majority of companies spoke to accept it as full no claims.

http://www.admiral.com/whyChoose/bonusAccelerator.php

How does it work?

Admiral’s Bonus Accelerator gives you a years’ No Claims Bonus in just 10 months. So you earn your No Claims Bonus faster and start paying less sooner. At the end of the 10 months we'll give you a renewal based on another full year’s No Claims Bonus.

What if I choose not to renew?

If you want to leave Admiral after the 10 months (although we hope you'll want to stay with us) then don’t worry because we'll give you proof of the No Claims Bonus you have earned with us.

I'm thinking of switching to Admiral as Quinn Direct have gone bust, so I can't renew with them next month. Quinn had a bad reputation for customer service, is Admiral any better?

I have used bonus accelerators in the past - just because proof of no claims is issued by insurance company X doesn't mean it has to be accepted by Y. When I moved from Churchill to Virgin - my no claims were no good at all. As it happened, the price was better without them anyway...

Also why is the quote cheaper with the 10 month booster? It was nearly £100 cheaper with the booster. Also if I put myself as married the quote goes up by £80. The price goes down it I put myself as co-habiting :unsure:

Sorry for the double post.

It is cheaper because you are insured for less time. It usually works out per month a bit more expensive.

Say 10months is 1000 12months might be 1150(where as if they were the same it would be 1200 for 12months)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club