Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 03 Focus High Rev Noise

Mike Mc

Hi All,

Thanks to the great help I got on the forum last time I am back with yet another problem.

As of today a rumbling sound has started coming from the front end if I allow the car to go above 5000 revs then slow itself down again (whilst in gear)

If I give an example, I often drive down long country roads and more often than not I will find myself stuck behind a lorry. When I go to overtake I will put the car into a lower gear and push the car to high revs to get around the lorry quickly. Once I get around the lorry, depending on speed I may let the engine slow the car down but this is where my problem has started today. If I let the engine go from say 6k revs to 4k revs then I get a large rumbling noise from the front of the car, but I have no idea what it is!

Does anybody have any ideas? I am thinking the Gearbox may be on its way out; but not sure. I have checked and it doesn't appear to be a mounting or a bearing.

Regards,

Mike

Hi All,

Thanks to the great help I got on the forum last time I am back with yet another problem.

As of today a rumbling sound has started coming from the front end if I allow the car to go above 5000 revs then slow itself down again (whilst in gear)

If I give an example, I often drive down long country roads and more often than not I will find myself stuck behind a lorry. When I go to overtake I will put the car into a lower gear and push the car to high revs to get around the lorry quickly. Once I get around the lorry, depending on speed I may let the engine slow the car down but this is where my problem has started today. If I let the engine go from say 6k revs to 4k revs then I get a large rumbling noise from the front of the car, but I have no idea what it is!

Does anybody have any ideas? I am thinking the Gearbox may be on its way out; but not sure. I have checked and it doesn't appear to be a mounting or a bearing.

Regards,

Mike

in honesty it could bae alot of things a tensioner thats bearing is going would caiuse the rumble as would a driveshaft gearbox as you say and or a combination its best to get it looked at asap ive seen this before where it was the timing belt tensioner bearing had started to collapse and it went completely smashed valves etc

in honesty it could bae alot of things a tensioner thats bearing is going would caiuse the rumble as would a driveshaft gearbox as you say and or a combination its best to get it looked at asap ive seen this before where it was the timing belt tensioner bearing had started to collapse and it went completely smashed valves etc

Thanks for that! I am really curious now, and worried that this could the problem.

My dad is a mechanic and he says that it isn't that because I am not hearing a noise all of the time. That shouldn't matter however, should it?

Is there any way that I can check for myself without too much effort if this the bearing has deteriorated?

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for that! I am really curious now, and worried that this could the problem.

My dad is a mechanic and he says that it isn't that because I am not hearing a noise all of the time. That shouldn't matter however, should it?

Is there any way that I can check for myself without too much effort if this the bearing has deteriorated?

Regards,

Mike

As we know your dad's opinion in regard to what he doesn't think is causing it. Has he offered up an opinion on what it might be? :rolleyes:

Normally people come here for advice, then seek advise from a mechanic. :P

As we know your dad's opinion in regard to what he doesn't think is causing it. Has he offered up an opinion on what it might be? rolleyes.gif

Normally people come here for advice, then seek advise from a mechanic. tongue.gif

as i said its a possibility not a diagnosis t noise could be from almost anything alternator bearing on the way out the alternator itself gearbox driveshafts without having the car in my hands i cant say based on a noise but i can say it needs to be checked have yiou tracked down from where exactly its from? have you put it out of gear while druiving to see if it still does it or not

have you looked at the bearing on the drivers side driveshaft i think its called the intermediate support shaft bearing??

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

I got an oil filter changed on Tuesday evening, and whilst up on the ramp I got the Gearbox inspected. Turns out it was out of oil.

I got oil put into it, and the more I drive the car the noise appears to be going away but is still their. The noise comes from the Drivers side forward wheel.

Oh and catch, my dad is excellent when it comes to telling what the problem is not yet is unable to give an explanation to what it is. It is very irritating.

The car will be going back in next week to check things are going well, and if not then it will mean a definite further investigation.

Regards,

Mike

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club