Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Intake Sensor

grahamfromoldham

Just bought one of those mod chips off eBay for my wife's StreetKa and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where the thing has to go. I'm fairly sure I have to take off the air filter which is easy enough and if its where I think it is, the large hose with jubilee clip has to come off to access it. Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks in advance, Graham

it should be on the air intake tube that goes to the intake manifold.personally i would not fit because By sticking the resistor in the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor (IAT) signal wire back to the ECU this adds more resistance ie it makes the ECU think the engine is running colder than it is.

The engine maps in the ECU tell the injectors and throttle body how much to open for a given engine speed and engine load Engine load is made up of a number of factors including conditions such as inlet air temperature, manifold pressure or manifold air flow.

If the temperature is cooler then engine load will be less and the maps will set the throttle body and injectors accordingly dumping a little bit more fuel and air into the combustion chamber resulting in more power.

This is all well and good until the engine is pushed a bit. Hot engine bay temperatures (especially in the Ka) mean that the IAT can quite easily get upto the higher end of the scale. So now the mixture is leaned back a bit because the ECU thinks the IAT is about 80 degrees C. But in fact its not - its running about 10-20 degrees higher so your actual mixture is too lean for the actual engine speed you are running resulting in possible further problems.

it should be on the air intake tube that goes to the intake manifold.personally i would not fit because By sticking the resistor in the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor (IAT) signal wire back to the ECU this adds more resistance ie it makes the ECU think the engine is running colder than it is.

The engine maps in the ECU tell the injectors and throttle body how much to open for a given engine speed and engine load Engine load is made up of a number of factors including conditions such as inlet air temperature, manifold pressure or manifold air flow.

If the temperature is cooler then engine load will be less and the maps will set the throttle body and injectors accordingly dumping a little bit more fuel and air into the combustion chamber resulting in more power.

This is all well and good until the engine is pushed a bit. Hot engine bay temperatures (especially in the Ka) mean that the IAT can quite easily get upto the higher end of the scale. So now the mixture is leaned back a bit because the ECU thinks the IAT is about 80 degrees C. But in fact its not - its running about 10-20 degrees higher so your actual mixture is too lean for the actual engine speed you are running resulting in possible further problems.

Having read and re-read your reply here a couple of times back to myself, you've given me something to think about. Seems like the £5 I spent on it not worth possible future problems. Thanks for the advice, I will probably heed it.