Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Mk3 Ford Mondeo Key Fob Programming

brianlorna

Hi there,wonder if anyone could give me some advice,i have a 54 plate ford mondeo 2.0 tdci,i have only one key fob for this car and have bought another key fob which i am hoping to program this,giving me two keys for the car.

As i stated earlier,at the moment i have only one key,and reading some of the topics,seems a bit of a nitemare to program the pats,would be most grateful for some information on this matter.

Cheers

Brian

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply to key fob prgramming,and have read through ur link,i'm still a little confused on wether i need 1 or 2 working keys to program a new fob to be able to program it to start the car.

I only have one working key fob right now and no other key at all,i have a new fob and so far what i am reading is that i can program new fob to open central locking ok,as for programming it to start car,i'm a little confused,i'm wondering after i program new fob to operate central locking can i use this key fob,along with my original fob to program it to start car. Just a little worried incase i end up with no working keys.

If it is possible to do this,i can follow the instructions on your link no problem.

Thanks again for your reply

Brian

you either need one red master key or two working keys to programme other keys, if not its off to the dealer i'm afraid.

you either need one red master key or two working keys to programme other keys, if not its off to the dealer i'm afraid.

Hi,thanks again for reply,any idea what ford dealer will charge for programming new fob,if they will that is,giving me 2 working fobs.

While i'm here,this is first time i've had a Ford,and it being an 2005 Mondeo TDCi 130 estate,it looks great and drives great,very pleased with it,what should i look out for or common faults and reading thro the net i believe it a timing chain and not a belt,however i notice some belts under bonnet on both sides of the engine,one will run alternator and power steering i guess the other i have no idea,any help would be most grateful incase of the worst in the future.

Cheers

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply to key fob prgramming,and have read through ur link,i'm still a little confused on wether i need 1 or 2 working keys to program a new fob to be able to program it to start the car.

I only have one working key fob right now and no other key at all,i have a new fob and so far what i am reading is that i can program new fob to open central locking ok,as for programming it to start car,i'm a little confused,i'm wondering after i program new fob to operate central locking can i use this key fob,along with my original fob to program it to start car. Just a little worried incase i end up with no working keys.

If it is possible to do this,i can follow the instructions on your link no problem.

Thanks again for your reply

Brian

a little confsed what are you trying to do the fob can be programmed to open the doors but how does the fob start the car unless you have remote start? the key starts the car the fob works the central locking and boot if you want to programme a new fob and a new key then you need two working keys to programme the new key after its being cut i dont believe ford have used red keys since early 1998 the new system uses 1 blue key and one remote key has done since 2000 so wo keys would be youre remote key the original one which starts the engine and the blue key

Ford Red Key System - 1994 to 1998

This system involves a red master key and 2 other user keys already programmed to the car ie ignition keys. The purpose of the red key is to put the car into programming mode to allow further keys to be programmed to your vehicle. Once you insert the Ford red master key, your car will enter programming mode. Then a further 2 keys cut for your vehicle must then be cycled in the ignition, each one being programmed in turn.

If you have lost your Master red key then the only way to program further keys is using professional key programming equipment to program a new master key, only then may further keys be added

Ford 2 Key System (blue key system) - 1998 to current

The transponders in the keys have varied over the years with this system it is identified by having one key with a blue corner hence the blue key system. You must have at least 2 keys programmed for the vehicle ie the blue key and the remote fob key. Once you have both keys programmed you can then add further keys without the need for professional equipment. This is done buy cycling the 2 programmed keys in your ignition in turn, thus putting your car into programming mode, then you can cycle a new key in the ignition and it will be programmed to your car

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club