Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Using Sellotape To Build My Mk7?

Maffoo

I'm confused. Just looked at the pics of some other Mk7 Fiestas and noticed that mine is different...

When I was cleaning it the other day I noticed some tape around the bottom corner of each door frame which goes down under the side skirts. On the driver's side it is peeling at the corner, but is fine on the passenger side.

Is there a reason this is there? And is it worth going to a dealer to get the drivers side looked at? I've only had it 5 days... :(

Drivers Side

1photo.jpg

Passenger Side

photo.jpg

I noticed these awell, No idea wtf they are for though.

You should be able to smooth them back down.

I think they are made of a thin plastic, so abit more durable than selotape :D

Most likely to seal down the Side Skirt connections.

Does look abit cheap though when you notice them.

If it bothers you, Id take it back to the dealer mate. Your car, your money. Make it right :)

And yes they do catch the Polish and Wax really badly...its not just you :P

Its normally called Helicopter tape (because thats where it was first used) and is used to stop scuffs and chips.

Where it is on your car, its supposed to stop you scuffing the paint with your feet as you get in/out of the car, particularly if the doors aren't open all the way (in a parking space for example).

Technically Ford will sort pretty much anything under waranty on a car of that age, but its probably not worth going in just for a little bit of tape on its own.

It's actually meant to prevent rust. My Ka has the same clear pieces of tape, at the bottom edges of the pillar where it meets the corner of the door.

I have the same issues, took it to suppliers work shop, they said that they have alot of problems with this tape, first used on a Ford KA, they have taken a load of photo's and sent them to Ford to OK replacement.

He told me the tape is to protect from scratching when getting in and out, might have something to do with the low quality of the paint used now on cars, my zetec as 300 miles and 6 stone chips down to the metal already

anyone else noticed an excessive number of stone chips around the rear wheel arches. i thought it was just bad luck until i just read this post!!!!! glad my car is silver!! http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/ford-c174454.html

If you look at the above posting think all will become clear as to why this plastic was added in that area.........

My car doesnt have the tape,I thought it might have been added at the first service but it wasnt.

Ive no chips /paint peeling /rust etc in the area which is covered.

Dave

My car doesnt have the tape,I thought it might have been added at the first service but it wasnt.

Ive no chips /paint peeling /rust etc in the area which is covered.

Dave

Not sure if you have flaps fitted, but It would appear that when a fiesta has mud flaps fitted this chipping is far less likely to happen

My MK7 Fiesta (58 plate) don't have this. There is no sign of any damage either, so i don't see why Ford put it on later build cars

Seems like a shoddy way of fixing an issue with the paint scratching. I love my Fiesta, but I must admit the quality is questionable in places. Mine rattles and squeaks and I can't see it lasting as long as my old car. I'm kinda glad I haven't bought the car and I just give it back in 3 years.

this is actually due to it being a vulnerable area for stone chipping as its a blunt edge in the line of fire from the wheel, it does make a diffference but only marginal whilst only a few years old

Not sure if you have flaps fitted, but It would appear that when a fiesta has mud flaps fitted this chipping is far less likely to happen

Dont have either mate

Dont think Ill be rushing down to the ford garage demanding my 2 bits of sticky tape though!

Dave

It's to prevent chips and whatnot, as mentioned. The areas covered are usually recognised as problematic areas for picking up stones and the like, so Ford and many other manufacturers put this film on.

In fact, just about every Toyota I have ever seen has the same on the rear doors etc. But also as mentioned, mud flaps can help a lot. I certainly find it is a lot easier to clean with them.

These strips work really well.

My mum uses the new mondeo titanium as a taxi and on putting it in the garage she scraped the side, you'd be surprised how much these strips protecting the car on taking most of the damage. Well worth having them.

dont have that either,and there is no damage yet (knock on wood)....

what are you complaining about,if the merc cls has it,why not put it on a fiesta? :D

I dont like the fact that dirt gets around the edges of the plastic.

Jamie

I agree with some of the above posts about the mark.7's build quality... sometimes I also think that it isn't as well built as the previous model; and also in agreement that I'm glad that the end of next year I can exchange the car for probably something else.

January 2012 is when i can change which is not long. I opted for the 24 months at 4.9% deal

I agree the mk7 is not built as well as the mk6.5 that i had before

Jamie

January 2012 is when i can change which is not long. I opted for the 24 months at 4.9% deal

I agree the mk7 is not built as well as the mk6.5 that i had before

Jamie

You're on a similar deal to me then; are you going to change your car? I'm in two minds about if it's worth buying the car and then selling it rather than exchanging it.

i love ford fiestas i drive a 2006 mk 6.5 1.4 zetec , my dad has a mk 6 1.25 finesse , and he did have a brand new ford focus 2.0 tdci titanium but he was forced to change it to a mk 7 1.4 tdci zetec 5dr vision blue fiesta , as fuel keeps going up and up and he does 16000 miles per year, but wat i am trying to say that the ford focus is well worth the extra money its built so much better id take 1 over a fiesta anyday !!!! my cousin has a 2006 focus 1.6 tivct and it has ages incredibly well still looks like new , where as my fiesta looks like a 15 year old banger and sqeaks and rattles like an old boat !!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club