Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeegee Vs Chamois

Roo

I have always used a Chamois leather to dry the standing water off my car when its washed, however i know alot of people use the car sqeegee's to remove the water, they both seem to work just as well as one another, but which one do you guys use? or even both?

Without being at all rude...

NEITHER! <cold sweat>

Drying blades are paint killers - get a single piece of grit trapped under them and you scratch it all down the paint...

Chamois leather is the traditional way of drying a car, but I have to say it's now outdated. Chamois doesn't have a pile, meaning that if you get grit trapped on the chamois, it sits on the surface and can scratch your paint. Much better is a microfibre drying towel. Any dirt caught goes into the the pile rather than staying at the surface.

The same logic can be applied to sponges - no to sponge, yes to a deep pile wash mitt.

If you add the two bucket method to this - using a separate bucket for charging and rinsing the wash mitt, and you'll have fewer swirls and imperfections.

good greif, i didnt realize there was so much to just washing a car lol

i always use a jumbo car sponge which is rung dry after each use and stored in a dry garage (away from my dad who leaves everything outside in the rain) the microfibre cloth seems a better idea though, the Chamois are a pain to store and last time i used one it left white streaks all over everything

plus my car is 6 years old now, the paint has dulled, its covered in stone chips and is beginning to rust (rust will be sorted this coming summer) so will the mit and seperate cleaning water really make that much of a difference? on a brand new car i can see how it would preserve the paintwork, but on an old car, surely it cant make the paint any better? or reverse ageing

You can't restore your paint through good washing technique - it's a preventative measure.

To bring back dull paint and restore minor scratches and swirls you need a machine polisher, preferably operated by a professional.

I used microfibre drying towels for the first time today.... and was very impressed! Hadn't even heard of the things till I started reading about them here and on ukfiestanetwork. Gawd knows where the water goes? The towels just seem to suck it all up.

I use a blade, making sure that it's clean, to get the majority of the water off then finish off with a terry towelling tea towel!

Works a treat, every time!!

Mike

I use a blade, making sure that it's clean, to get the majority of the water off then finish off with a terry towelling tea towel!

Works a treat, every time!!

Mike

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO :angry::lol:

a tea towel? lol! that cxant be good for paintwork, my dads old laguna looked about 20 years older after he washed it with a dishcloth every week lol

i may have to invest in one of these miricle microfiber cloths

I knew a fella that washed his 56 plate fiesta with washing up liquid :o

I too use a water blade/squeegee and never had a problem. I use it over the colder months when the water just stands on the car rather than drying off in the sun, but I would suggest you don't use one in the summer months

Theres nothing wrong with them as long as you use them sensibly cleaning the blade frequently and flick the water off with out dragging the blade over the car.

I have also tried a synthetic chamois but find they leave terrible water marks especially on glass and the paint work so I usually finish of with a chamois.

I knew a fella that washed his 56 plate fiesta with washing up liquid :o

:o Now that is something I wouldn’t recommend – although it might be a great product great if you wish to strip all that ‘greasy’ wax off your car.

Plus they do add salt to washing up liquid to make it thick and glupy –just the thing to help rust on its way

I too use a water blade/squeegee and never had a problem. I use it over the colder months when the water just stands on the car rather than drying off easy in the warmer days.

There’s nothing wrong with them as long as you use them sensibly cleaning the blade frequently and ‘flick’ the water off with out dragging the blade over the car.

I have also tried a synthetic chamois but find they leave terrible water marks especially on glass and the paint work so I usually finish of with a chamois.

I use a water blade meself had no problems up to now then i use a microfibre cloth for the hard to get spots jobs a gooden.

:o Now that is something I wouldn’t recommend – although it might be a great product great if you wish to strip all that ‘greasy’ wax off your car.

Plus they do add salt to washing up liquid to make it thick and glupy –just the thing to help rust on its way

I know when he told me i thought r u mad me grandads the same on his car he always bangs on at me you don't need all that cleaning stuff its costs to much use washing up liquid and i thought yeh allright. :P

I used to use washing up liquid on my old cars lol! 51 plate corsa, 52 plate clio, 56 plate grande punto, just bought some autoglym shampoo gunna try it this weekend as just run out of the diamondbrite stuff i got with the car.....

I used to use washing up liquid on my old cars lol! 51 plate corsa, 52 plate clio, 56 plate grande punto, just bought some autoglym shampoo gunna try it this weekend as just run out of the diamondbrite stuff i got with the car.....

OHHHH NO not another washing up cleaning man crazy :lol::lol: i would'nt even do it when i had my k reg clio. never mind on a 51 plate,52 or even a 56 plate.

OHHHH NO not another washing up cleaning man crazy :lol::lol: i would'nt even do it when i had my k reg clio. never mind on a 51 plate,52 or even a 56 plate.

Oh I wouldnt dare do it on my fezza, that would hell rising! I use the flicking technique with a squeegee which is a really soft silicone one, managed to throw the heavy handle at my bonnet (poor bonnet always getting the abuse) scuffed the paintwork, anywhoo got the t-cut out and rubbed it out (excuse the pun teehee) il be more careful now!

Oh I wouldnt dare do it on my fezza, that would hell rising! I use the flicking technique with a squeegee which is a really soft silicone one, managed to throw the heavy handle at my bonnet (poor bonnet always getting the abuse) scuffed the paintwork, anywhoo got the t-cut out and rubbed it out (excuse the pun teehee) il be more careful now!

Good good save the washing up liquid for the dishes lol the other month i was at a petrol station giveing my car a good blast with the jeter has i was draging it around the car i hit my door with the nozele and sratch my door was not to happy could of cryed :(

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO :angry::lol:

I take it you mean no then!! Take a look at my garage photo's, not bad for a 6 year old car with 76000 miles on the clock!! Better than spending stupid money on microfibre cloths when terry towelling does the job. I've done it for years with no problems.

Mike

I use two Meguairs water magnet drying towels to dry my car. They ain't cheap but they work well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry this is a bit late but i know a bloke who always washes his car with floor cleaner (seriously). Needless to say not recomended and it isn't doing his paintwork any favours.....some people :rolleyes:

I started using a micro fibre cloth when I bought the latest car. Being black it shows every water mark. I dont know how I used to manage before as these cloths are excellent and my car is always sparkling.

• 8 months later...

The blade is the future!

Get most of the water off with the blade first and finish off with a microfibre cloth, Sorted!