Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Esp System Fault

Franko3

Hi all

New member here and would greatly appreciate any advice.

I have owned since new a Focus 2.0 ghia fitted with esp.

After about 2 years, the ESP light came on a couple of times on the dash but if car was turned off & on again the fault would clear, the rear brakes were also noisy.

My wife took it into our local dealership and asked them to take a look at the braking system and they took it in for the day but said there were no problems.

A month or so ago the ESP light came on and stayed on and a warning says 'ESP system fault'.

Took it in again and now they say it needs a new abs module at a cost of over £1200 inc labour !

We're obviously not too chuffed about this and realise that we need to get it done as it will fail the mot as it stands.

I have spoken to Ford customer service and pointed out that in no way is this just normal wear & tear and that the car is only just out of their warranty and has barely covered 24k miles.

They offered me a 30% reduction valid for a period of 30 days so I declined as it is still too much for us to afford.

Does anyone here think I have a leg to stand on?

Cheers,

Franko.

Hi all

New member here and would greatly appreciate any advice.

I have owned since new a Focus 2.0 ghia fitted with esp.

After about 2 years, the ESP light came on a couple of times on the dash but if car was turned off & on again the fault would clear, the rear brakes were also noisy.

My wife took it into our local dealership and asked them to take a look at the braking system and they took it in for the day but said there were no problems.

A month or so ago the ESP light came on and stayed on and a warning says 'ESP system fault'.

Took it in again and now they say it needs a new abs module at a cost of over £1200 inc labour !

We're obviously not too chuffed about this and realise that we need to get it done as it will fail the mot as it stands.

I have spoken to Ford customer service and pointed out that in no way is this just normal wear & tear and that the car is only just out of their warranty and has barely covered 24k miles.

They offered me a 30% reduction valid for a period of 30 days so I declined as it is still too much for us to afford.

Does anyone here think I have a leg to stand on?

Cheers,

Franko.

you need to call trading standards they are liable for 6 months the fact they have offered it 30 percent cheaper does mean they have done something though not being funny but these are the reasons i specifically bought a focus with no esp or abs or aircon ive been down this road before basically the car has done its job for 3 years so youre not covered under the sale of goods act it will really come down to you and ford and trying to prove that the module itself was faulty or inferior quality which is no easy feat it may have only covered 24k but its 3 years old mate and as they will no doubt say this is highly possible in 3 years cant see any happy outcome on this one mate the best option i can see is to argue that the esp fault first showed up while the car was under warranty yet youre local ford stated that there were no faults that clearly was the wrong diagnosis even though you had the car at them more than once they found no faults the light was flashing indicating something was wrong so youre best argument is that they deliberately told you nothing was wrong with the car so that it wouldnt get repaired under the warranty and the fact that it has now failed supports this and if necessary you are prepared to take this as far as it has to go

you need to call trading standards they are liable for 6 months the fact they have offered it 30 percent cheaper does mean they have done something though not being funny but these are the reasons i specifically bought a focus with no esp or abs or aircon ive been down this road before basically the car has done its job for 3 years so youre not covered under the sale of goods act it will really come down to you and ford and trying to prove that the module itself was faulty or inferior quality which is no easy feat it may have only covered 24k but its 3 years old mate and as they will no doubt say this is highly possible in 3 years cant see any happy outcome on this one mate the best option i can see is to argue that the esp fault first showed up while the car was under warranty yet youre local ford stated that there were no faults that clearly was the wrong diagnosis even though you had the car at them more than once they found no faults the light was flashing indicating something was wrong so youre best argument is that they deliberately told you nothing was wrong with the car so that it wouldnt get repaired under the warranty and the fact that it has now failed supports this and if necessary you are prepared to take this as far as it has to go

Thanks for the input artscot79,

The Ford customer services dept say they have been in touch with the dealership and they have said that they don't have any record on their system of the car being in before for this fault !

I have now contacted trading standards with a brief rundown and will post back their reply.

Franko.

• 2 years later...

The warning EPS light(symbol) has appeared and stayed on my 2008 Focus Style,can anyone help me please,

by telling me where the EPS switch is,as the handbook talks about switching it off/on to check.

It is shown near the heated rear window switch,but all adjacent are blanked off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club