Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 6 1.6 Vs Mk 7 1.4

poshpawsfiesta

im thinking about buying my self a mk 7 fiesta in september and i was looking at the data and i noticed the old mk 6.5 1.6 zetec s does 0-60 in 9.9 sec and it only has 100hp but the new 1.6 tivct has 120 bhp and more torque also does 0-60 in 9.9 secs so where does all the extra power and less weight factor in :s

Data from parkers.com on the 08 1.6L Petrol Titanium

Engine Size 1596 cc

Cylinders 4

0-60 mph 9.6 s

Power Output 118 bhp

Valves 16

Torque 152 Nm 112 lb-ft

Top Speed 120 mph

what car say 9.9 , but even if it is 9.6 thats only .4 of a diffrence. just sounds silly to me tht alot more power and torque makes such little diffrence in the 0- time

The 9.9 is 0-62

Not 0-60, so there both right

But yes, I dont understand the reasoning behind this ethier, To keep insurance costs down. To get to the 120bhp is very high up the rev range, that must be a reasoning for it- new gearbox ratios? Il check when I get home Ive got both written down.

I doubt in the real world it does 9.9 compared to a mk6 (my friend has a mk6 zetec s... Il give it a few hundred miles before "comparing")Some manufactures do it with a full tank and two people(correct me if im wrong? and a lot of them purposley make the standard figures slower for insurance ratings.

The 9.9 is 0-62

Not 0-60, so there both right

But yes, I dont understand the reasoning behind this ethier, To keep insurance costs down. To get to the 120bhp is very high up the rev range, that must be a reasoning for it- new gearbox ratios? Il check when I get home Ive got both written down.

I doubt in the real world it does 9.9 compared to a mk6 (my friend has a mk6 zetec s... Il give it a few hundred miles before "comparing")Some manufactures do it with a full tank and two people(correct me if im wrong? and a lot of them purposley make the standard figures slower for insurance ratings.

i no its so strange y thy would want to make there cars sound slower then they really are , the reason i asked was i was planning on getting a mk7 1.4 wich are 100 bhp ish and i was hoping it would be the same speed as the old mk 6 1.6 100 bhp, but the 1.4 takes 12.2 secs to get to 60 thats a life time, the figures just dont add up ud think the old 1.6 would be the same as the new 1.4 :s

my mk6 1.4 was booked @13.3 or 12.9 sec to 60. i(not personnally but friends/video etc) measured it a fw times and it was about 11sec's with just me in the car.

They make em sound slower to keep insurance down. people buying a 1.4 wont be bothered about 0-60, or trhey cant insure anything quicker so it makes no difference to the buyer.

Why they have made both zetec s's the same speed(or at least say they are) does baffel me because people will car about a warm hatchs facts n figs'

i dont think 0-60's or 0-62's times are an acurate measure of a car accelration anyway becuse some models of car hit 62 in second gearr but in fords you have to be in 3rd, and the change from 2nd gear to 3rd must take a good 1.5 seconds anyway.

A 0-60 is just that. 2 gears or 3, some cars may be quicker because they do it in two, or it might have been more plausable(and quicker) to have 60 in 3rd, as second might have been too long for a small engines car.

Anyway, the new mk7 is a hoot to drive, whatever model and engine, ive driving the bottom of the range 1.25 style(well, style+, didnt I feel Special..) and a good few Zetec S( though none my own yet :( ) and there all fun and good to drive.

Changing only takes 1.5 seconds if your driving normally ;)

http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/mongoosetierney/?action=view&current=22082009064.flv

Two people, uphill, half a tank. about 11/12 seconds. and It wasnt a clean set off I had to get onto the road over a bump as you can proberly tell.(Its not torque steer in my 1.4 beast, just a dip in the road :) )

i drive a mk 6.5 1.4 16v petrol and i love it , i would never rev it like that thou ;) my mum would go belistic haha :)

Iv raced 2 MK6.5 1.6 Zetec-s, and i have the new MK7 1.6 Ti-VCT and i beat the pair of them.

If your never going to rev it like that then dont worry about your 0-60 performance :)

I haven't really had time to read the whole thread but I'm guessing that it's all down to gearing. Maybe the mk6 would do 0-60 in 1st and 2nd only, whereas in the mk7 you need to go into third to get there.

The mk7 is definately faster than the mk6 1.6 in general.

In the mk6 you have to get into third- It does about 56 in 2nd :|

just wanted to post on this thread as searchingon youtube brough this up. Its kinda a facts n figures vid for the fiesta. It states( for the .16 tit, not the stiffer ZS) the 0-60 is 9.4 but then says after it 0-60 9.0 w/Rollout. What does that mean??

have a look for yourselfs, kinda fun :)