Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Turbo Whine

Anto164

I've got a Ford Focus, 1.8 TDCi (2006.5), sat at 43k and it's great. (Had it for 2 years, had 10k miles on it when i got it)

I have however got one little niggle that i've never come across before on any other Turbocharged car...

The scenario is this, Cruising along a 50 in 5th for say... 2 miles then i have to slow down to about 20mph, engine is at full operating temperature at this point. I drop the car to 2nd and put my foot down. Then i hear it.. The turbo is making what can only be described as a 'whooooooooo' sound, definately not the sound of the turbo normally. I shift into 3rd, the whoo goes away when i lift off and then it comes back when i put my foot down again, and then the whoo stops at about 3.5krpmish. It's quite loud, and can be heard over the radio (I only listen to it quite quietly anyway).

The whoo then misteriously disappears. It's happening now in 1st/2nd/3rd & 4th. It may be in 5th too, but the road noise tends to overtake the sound.

It's getting more and more common, i.e it hardly ever happened before, but now it's nearly every time i've stopped cruising.

Just wondering whether it's anything to worry about, or if anyone has any more info about what it could be.

There's a vid of it here..(Turn up your Speakers and skip to about 14secs in)

Cheers, Ant.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Ford Focus, 1.8 TDCi (2006.5), sat at 43k and it's great. (Had it for 2 years, had 10k miles on it when i got it)

I have however got one little niggle that i've never come across before on any other Turbocharged car...

The scenario is this, Cruising along a 50 in 5th for say... 2 miles then i have to slow down to about 20mph, engine is at full operating temperature at this point. I drop the car to 2nd and put my foot down. Then i hear it.. The turbo is making what can only be described as a 'whooooooooo' sound, definately not the sound of the turbo normally. I shift into 3rd, the whoo goes away when i lift off and then it comes back when i put my foot down again, and then the whoo stops at about 3.5krpmish. It's quite loud, and can be heard over the radio (I only listen to it quite quietly anyway).

The whoo then misteriously disappears. It's happening now in 1st/2nd/3rd & 4th. It may be in 5th too, but the road noise tends to overtake the sound.

It's getting more and more common, i.e it hardly ever happened before, but now it's nearly every time i've stopped cruising.

Just wondering whether it's anything to worry about, or if anyone has any more info about what it could be.

There's a vid of it here..(Turn up your speakers and skip to about 14secs in)

Cheers, Ant.

I have a Galaxy 1.8 tdci and have a very similar problem (some sort of turbo/induction whoosh). Will listen to the video when i get home to check it is the same.

I took it to a couple of different ford garages with an engineer for a test run and to be fair they heard it but didn't give and answer or put a finger on it. Could be a number of issues they said but they both said from their perspective it didn't seem like a big problem waiting to happen. They said just to keep an eye (or ear) out for it.

I think it will have to be something we have to ignore until it shows more actual symptoms

Edit: i have checked the video and mine is the same sound as this. If you ever resolve this PM me and i will PM you if anything happens with mine.

• 6 months later...

Our 2006 1.8 Tdci S-Max does this(-sounds just the same to me) and has been for about 2 or 3 months now. We kept joking that it sounds like we've got a ghost under the bonnet. Still runs well but our local dealer decided today it's the turbo and it needs a new one. Can't afford over a grand for the work when the car still runs fine but we are a bit worried in case something goes bang. Seems wrong that a car with barely 50k on the clock should have worn its turbo out though doesn't it? Or am I just being naiive??

Mine makes an odd sound but not that one.

Turbo units IMO only last if good quality oil is used and given time to circulate before driving off.