Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stone Chipping!

Fast Parrot

Hello. I've read a lot on this forum regarding the topics I'm about to mention but would like your answers/opinions to my particular queries, if you would be so kind. :) Apologies for going on.

I've had my Fiesta from new for 12 months now and it's due its first service and I need to book it in with them this week at the latest, as I've left it a bit late as I've been busy (they wrote to me in March about it). I plan to take a list of defects/issues I want the dealer to rectify under warranty but not sure where I stand.

Regarding the infamous stone chipping on the rear door sills that I'm sure most of you know about; I had front and rear mud flaps fitted from new and didn't notice any stone chipping on the rear door sills until late last year. They were few and minor but now I have a few chips to the metal that are noticeable as they are brown with dirt (hopefully not rust!). I know Ford are aware of this and have made a statement saying the dealers will carry out remedial work which includes painting the affected area and applying a protective cover. Models manufactured after August 2009 already include this. My question in reference to this is; will the dealer carry out this remedial work if I point it out to them? If so, what will they do? Will they just touch-up the chips or respray the whole affected area? This is the main warranty claim I have.

There are some other issues that need rectifying that I won't mention as I'm not worried they'll have a problem with. Some issues that I am worried about their response to is the rattles and creaks I've started getting. I'm getting a creaking noise coming from the driver side B-pillar that has been doing my head in for months (thought I'd wait until its first service before telling the dealer about these annoyances). I've also noticed a rattling on rougher roads, especially at higher speeds, coming from the passenger A-pillar and/or above the passenger window. The passenger speaker also rattles when playing anything bassy and I'm sure I heard a rattle come from it the other day when I had the radio turned off. The creaking is pretty intrusive and definitely needs sorting out but will they even entertain the idea of finding and stopping the rattles?

Another concern I have that isn't Ford's fault is the amount of stone chips I'm getting on the front of my car, i.e the bonnet and bumper. During the winter months I touched-up 2-3 new stone chips (with touch-up paint from Ford) every weekend! The majority of these chips are down to the metal. Now I'm only touching-up one stone chip a week! I'm can't believe the frequency I'm getting them. The front of my car is peppered with them and it's only 12 months old with 7500 miles on the clock. The worst 'hit' was when my little Fiesta was only 5 months old and a speeding ambulance overtook oncoming traffic, driving over the central hatching and launching a lump of road towards me at an incredible speed. There was a loud bang as it hit my bonnet and more horrible noises as it disintegrated and showered the rest of my car! I gritted my teeth and yelled a nasty word. When inspecting the damage, there was a large, deep stone chip to the metal and scratching just above it also down to the metal. Not only that, there was a nice little dent - looked like someone had shot my bonnet point blank with a pellet gun. I was very upset. It cost me £60 to get the dent lifted leaving a nice hole in the paint for me to fill in with touch-up paint. Have I been cursed or is it quite common to get this many stone chips?

If you've read all that, thank you for your time. Your answers and opinions would be much appreciated.

Mine I picked up 27th November 2008, and is littered, on the bonnet and bumper, infact just above the ford badge, I have a chip, and a dent!

Mine I picked up 27th November 2008, and is littered, on the bonnet and bumper, infact just above the ford badge, I have a chip, and a dent!

ive got loads of small chips on the bonnent.. almost looks like ive got small specs of salt all over my bonnet! my friend has got a black one and he, like you, has a massive stone chip, which has gone right down to metal and has got to be about 2-3mm deep and 5-6mm across. its really bad. the paint isn't as good as my mk5 fiesta!

Both of the mk7's i had were littered with stone chips and even my suzuki swift sport has a few aswell :angry:

Modern paints just seem so brittle and stone chips quite commonplace :(

Modern paint is eco-friendly, and not surprisingly, somewhat crap as a result. My MKII Focus has a peppered bonnet (40k miles), but not worth doing anything about it until it's at that point where immediate action is required (re-spray) ... because a week later, it'll be peppered again. Rinse and repeat!

Got my first deep chip in the bonnet a few days back, must have been harsh as it was straight thru to the metal, it's tiny tho, but in the White it's noticable, will take a look for some touch up paint I think!

Thanks for your answers guys. What do you reckon to my warranty claims?

I can't offer you advice, but would really like to know how you get on with the stone chips at the rear. I have a similar problem and would like to get it resolved :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club