Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt Replacement

leebee306

Hi,

I am currently changing the cambelt on my 1999 Ford Focus, i have removed all the relevant parts to get to the cambelt including the drive belt,

But i cannot find where the locking pins should be located to lock the bottom end up, does anyone know??? I have locked the cams up.

Any help would be appriciated

thanks

Lee

forgot to mention its a 1.6 zetec

do you have the tensioner? asd its not the cambelt that snaps its the tensioner that goes snapping the belt

do you have the tensioner? asd its not the cambelt that snaps its the tensioner that goes snapping the belt

Yeah i have the whole cambelt kit, the belt hasnt snapped its just done 102K so gonna change it. Just need to know how to lock the bottom end up so it stays in time???

thanks

Yeah i have the whole cambelt kit, the belt hasnt snapped its just done 102K so gonna change it. Just need to know how to lock the bottom end up so it stays in time???

thanks

from what i can gather there is a blanking plug on the engine that when removed has the hole for the pin to go thorough though a friend told me that the amount of torque needed usually bends this pin easily and he uses a threaded bar he made up himself its not an easy job to do especially if the locking pin bends i usually leave it to ford to deal with 200- quid including parts Unless you are pretty good with the old spanners i would attempt ot bud. For starters neither the 2 camshaft pulleys or the crankshaft pulley on the 1.6 has a key way,so the second you slack the bolts off you will find that the engine turns and the timing will be out by quite a few teeth there is a locking plate that needs to be located into the rear of the camshaft which means the rocker cover has to be removed too ,and a locking pin that needs to locate into the crankshaft,when these are located then you can slack off the camshaft and crankshaft bolts,the cam ones just need slacking by 1 full turn,the bottom crank bolt needs to be removed completely along with the bottom pulley.( bare in mind that the crank pulley bolt needs to be replaced as it is a stretch bolt,they are ford only and need to be matched up to yours as there are 3 lenghts)then covers can come off,undo the belt tensioner and remove the belt,you will find that the 2 cam pulleys turn freely at this point...this is correct. replace the other jockey wheels and tensioner,fit new belt ensuring all the timing pins and plates are still fitted correctly and fit the new belt,tension it up correctly (too tight the belt will whine then eventually snap,too slack it will flap and eventually snap) then you can tighten the cam pulleys..these need to be FT coz if they arent tight enough they can move.remove the locking pin and plate then refit your rocker cover and timing covers,refit the crank pulley with new bolt and locktite, then fan belt.Jack up one side of the car and put it in gear,turn the raised wheel to ensure the valves arent hitting the pistons. take out of gear and close your eyes when you turn the key.