Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking Sensor Module Location

FORD 1

Hi,

The parking sensors on my 2007 tdi Titanium do not work. When selecting reverse I get a 3 second beep and the dash switch flashes.

I would like to check the wiring all the way from the sensors to the control module so can someone please tell me where the module is located and is there one for both front and rear?

Thanks

That will be the button on the dash?

The manual says that when selecting reverse the system is automatically turned on. The button is so that when in a forward gear you can turn the system on to activate the front sensors i believe.

The beep when selecting reverse coupled with a flashing light in the button indicates a fault in the system.

I'm hoping someone can tell where the control module is located and is there just one module for front and rear?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Its located in the trunk. If you open the boot and look on the RHS (assuming RHD vehicle) then there is a panel that you can clip off.

Once removed you will see a black unit around 10cm x 10cm with 3 connectors going to it. One connector is for the front sensors, one for the rear and the third for power/comms to the rest of the vehicle.

I had an issue on my system which was pinpointed down to a break in the wiring to one of the rear sensors - it took the dealer weeks to find it though. I got a friend to check the fault codes which pinpointed it down to the sensors but the dealership went full circle, i.e. replace the module, update the software, etc and only really took my advice into account when I started getting firm with them - wasted a lot of unnecessary time, money and effort.

Goodluck !

• 4 weeks later...

That will be the button on the dash?

The manual says that when selecting reverse the system is automatically turned on. The button is so that when in a forward gear you can turn the system on to activate the front sensors i believe.

The beep when selecting reverse coupled with a flashing light in the button indicates a fault in the system.

I'm hoping someone can tell where the control module is located and is there just one module for front and rear?

Thanks

I have just rectified a rear parking sensor fault on my S-Max. When selecting reverse the rear sounder produced a constant tone regardless of the car's proximity from another object.

I removed each sensor in turn - simply splay the tabs of the holder from behind the bumper with your finger and thumb and then push the centre of the sensor from the front using your other hand. The connector pulls off after depressing the small tab at the rear. Hoping that ingress of dirt and moisture may have been the culprit I cleaned and refitted each sensor.

Unfortunately this didn’t clear the fault so I surfed the internet for a replacement sensor. Apparently they retail at Ford for £60-70 but I was lucky enough to pick up a new one on eBay for £11.50. I then simply swapped it with each sensor in turn until the fault cleared. During this process I noted that if the system is activated with a sensor disconnected you get the fault indications descibed earlier - the light in the dash-mounted override switch flashes rapidly and the sounder bleeps for about 3 seconds. In a normal fault situation this could indicate an open-circuit sensor or a wiring fault.

Although sealed and potted the sensors appear susceptible to water damage and I note there is a caution in the manual about avoiding contact with pressure washers.

In regard to the sounders the front one is fitted at the front somewhere and the rear one is fitted behind a grill in the trim panel which sits directly behind the offside rear window (non-opening).

Hope this is useful.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Parking sensors on my 56 plate 2.5 Titanium packed up around a year ago with the same symptoms, continuous tone for 3 seconds accompanied with rapidly flashing warning lamp in the dash switches.

I asked the dealer to look into this at the 62.5k service and the answer came back that the sensors were corroded. I was astonished at this as the car was less than 3 years old. The dealer quoted around £450 to presumably replace the entire parking sensor system. Of course, it was out of warranty so nothing doing as far as a free repair/replacement goes! Needless to say I declined the dealers offer of relieving me of £450.

The sensors themselves were plastic coated when I first bought the car but the coating soon broke off so perhaps this had something to do with allowing water and dirt to get to the sensors. In any event I suspect these components are of a very poor standard to break down that early. Oddly enough mine is in for its 75k service and I have courtesy 59 plate Fiesta with only 6000 miles on it, and one of the rear parking sensors is also showing signs of corrosion; so not an S-Max problem exclusively it seems.

Anyway, does anyone know where to get hold of replacement sensors, apart from Ford's who only seem to sell the entire sytem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Parking sensors on my 56 plate 2.5 Titanium packed up around a year ago with the same symptoms, continuous tone for 3 seconds accompanied with rapidly flashing warning lamp in the dash switches.

I asked the dealer to look into this at the 62.5k service and the answer came back that the sensors were corroded. I was astonished at this as the car was less than 3 years old. The dealer quoted around £450 to presumably replace the entire parking sensor system. Of course, it was out of warranty so nothing doing as far as a free repair/replacement goes! Needless to say I declined the dealers offer of relieving me of £450.

The sensors themselves were plastic coated when I first bought the car but the coating soon broke off so perhaps this had something to do with allowing water and dirt to get to the sensors. In any event I suspect these components are of a very poor standard to break down that early. Oddly enough mine is in for its 75k service and I have courtesy 59 plate Fiesta with only 6000 miles on it, and one of the rear parking sensors is also showing signs of corrosion; so not an S-Max problem exclusively it seems.

Anyway, does anyone know where to get hold of replacement sensors, apart from Ford's who only seem to sell the entire sytem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

My S-Max Titanium has developed the same problem. Did you find anywhere to get the replacement sensors?

• 4 years later...

I have just rectified a rear parking sensor fault on my S-Max. When selecting reverse the rear sounder produced a constant tone regardless of the car's proximity from another object.

I removed each sensor in turn - simply splay the tabs of the holder from behind the bumper with your finger and thumb and then push the centre of the sensor from the front using your other hand. The connector pulls off after depressing the small tab at the rear. Hoping that ingress of dirt and moisture may have been the culprit I cleaned and refitted each sensor.

Unfortunately this didn’t clear the fault so I surfed the internet for a replacement sensor. Apparently they retail at Ford for £60-70 but I was lucky enough to pick up a new one on eBay for £11.50. I then simply swapped it with each sensor in turn until the fault cleared. During this process I noted that if the system is activated with a sensor disconnected you get the fault indications descibed earlier - the light in the dash-mounted override switch flashes rapidly and the sounder bleeps for about 3 seconds. In a normal fault situation this could indicate an open-circuit sensor or a wiring fault.

Although sealed and potted the sensors appear susceptible to water damage and I note there is a caution in the manual about avoiding contact with pressure washers.

In regard to the sounders the front one is fitted at the front somewhere and the rear one is fitted behind a grill in the trim panel which sits directly behind the offside rear window (non-opening).

Hope this is useful.

hi mate in regards to s max parking sensors i have s max washed it and noticed that reverse sensors not working also when i open door no warning tone on did you have same problem

• 2 months later...

Hi I changed all four rear sensors for brand new ones (S-Max Tit 2007) but it still wont work. Just the annoying beeps and flashing light. Any suggestions? I have looked for the control module (o/s boot behind panel) but can't find it. What colour in the connector to it? How many connectors should there be. I do have a single (Green) plug hanging inside the opening attached to nothing. it has 3 wires

Blue/Brown

Purple/Brown

Purple/Red

Could the module be missing?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Rick

The module location and description is as described in post #4.

Apart from the sensors themselves, you need to inspect the connectors and wiring to them very carefully, as it's a known issue especially with the rear sensors. Remember that just a single fault renders the entire system unusable.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris

All the wiring seems ok but I don't seem to have a parking sensor module which is why I asked about an unattached green plug hanging loose where the module should be. Knowing the wire colours will confirm this. If so all I need is a new module but I am loathe to buy one until I'm sure having just shelled out for a new set of sensors.

Regar5ds

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

You probablyaren't looking up high enough.

Try lying on your back while peering up.

The 3 multi-wired main connectors are a dead giveaway.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Chris. Can't you sleep??

Will give it a try.

The loose plug hanging down made me think the module might not even be there. I've fitted a reverse camera which is very good but having replaced all the sensors already, to no avail, I want to go the full hog. The camera replaced one of my no plate lights...perfect fit and has built in LED lights to replace the no plate light.

Regards

Rick

Hi I changed all four rear sensors for brand new ones (S-Max Tit 2007) but it still wont work. Just the annoying beeps and flashing light. Any suggestions? I have looked for the control module (o/s boot behind panel) but can't find it. What colour in the connector to it? How many connectors should there be. I do have a single (Green) plug hanging inside the opening attached to nothing. it has 3 wires

Blue/Brown

Purple/Brown

Purple/Red

Could the module be missing?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Rick

That plug sounds like the trailer tow module plug.

The parking aid module is located high up behind o/s/r trim panel.

Should be 2 or 3 plugs depending on if you have front sensors as well.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi having the same problem with 07 s max sensor but no clicking on any of the sensors when in reverese. Just the 3 second Tone and flashing 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

I'm also having the same problem with my 2008 S-Max Titanium. The system sometimes work, most of the times don't - single beep tone and then the dashboard light flashes and no beeps whatsoever. But 2 days ago the system worked - with just the ignition on, I selected reverse shift and it worked so I was able to check all 8 sensors. One by one I touched the sensors and I got beeps from all of them. They're all working. Next morning, it was not working again...

Maybe it's the module??? I have a left steering wheel car, can anyone tell me where is the module located?? Maybe a photograph or something???

Help??

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Hi I’ve got a 2010 s max my parking sensor don’t give any sound and no flashing light on dash just constant yellow light can anyone help please 

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/11/2020 at 1:59 PM, Gavin michael said:

Hi I’ve got a 2010 s max my parking sensor don’t give any sound and no flashing light on dash just constant yellow light can anyone help pleas

hi,

did you figure this out? I have exactly the same issue.

thanks

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2023 at 7:13 PM, FordNick said:

hi,

did you figure this out? I have exactly the same issue.

thanks

Hi there, just bought an S-max 2011 , with the switch light permanently on , did you find an answer to it ? 

1 minute ago, u619825 said:

Hi there, just bought an S-max 2011 , with the switch light permanently on , did you find an answer to it ? 

Also, is there an easy way to get the park assist module off, at least to get the reference numbers from it.

This thread is DEAD. It was started 15th April 2010.

Start a brand new thread and post exactly what your problem is and you will most likely get some help.

@FORD 1 last visited 2nd December 2011

@Ford Own Rs Demons last visited 19th February 2011

@Nel last visited 29th April 2010

@kevpude last visited 2nd July 2015

@goodgem last visited 29th November 2010

@Lowrider last visited 4th October 2010

@thackleycars18 last visited 16th January 2018

@SirGuy last visited 16th October 2015

@747777 last visited 15th February 2016

@Sarahj last visited 27th February 2018

@Mike@SMax last visited 6th February 2019

@Gavin michael last visited 11th April 2020

@FordNick last visited 13th January 2023

Most posts in this thread are people asking the same "did you fix it" question.