Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Steering Wheel

pkr

Hi all,

I've got a 1998 ford KA 1.3 and it's been in the family for all of it's life. I'm 17, 18 next month and im after a new fiesta. However, the cars MOT is due next month and over the past 2 months the car has developed quite noticeable knocking when turning the steering wheel. This is most apparent at slow speeds but it sounds rather serious - the car doesn't have power steering and is in pretty bad shape mechanically (Rust on sills, petrol cap etc). I was just after some advice whether it'd be worth fixing it up for the MOT next month or just to just cut my losses and scrap it.

Any ideas on what might be the problem would be a big hand, cheers in advance!

Ryan

I'm thinking a broken coil spring actually, they can be quite prone to it. I'd check this first. Sometimes you can see if you look in the wheelarch at the suspension strut. Other times you may need to jack it up. The noise can be caused by the coil moving in the mounting cup.

Dave

IT MAYBE THE WISHBONE OR AS THEY NOW CALL IT THE LOWER SUSPENSION ARM OR THE

DROP LINK.

BOTH QUITE EASY TO DO & CHEAP.

LOWER ARM ABPUT £18.00 AND THE DROP LINK £ 7.00

TO CHECK THE DROP LINK TRY THE FOLLOWING....

AKS A FRIEND TO PUSH DOWN ON THE CAR WHILST YOU HOLD THE DROP LINK

IT LOOKS LIKE A ROD THAT BOLTS FROM THE TOP SUSPENSION TO THE ANTI ROLL BAR

YOU MAY EVEN FIN IT'S THE ROLL BAR THAT'S PLAYING UP AS THAT WILL MAK A NOISE LIKE YOUR SAYING

THAT A CHEAP FIX JUST BUY THE RUBBERS FOR IT

2 BOLTS EITHR SIDE AND ABOUT £6.00 A PAIR.

TO CHECH IF IT IS THE ROLL BAR GET PARTLY UNDRE THE CAR & PULL N PUSH THE ROLL BAR

IF ANY M,OVEMENT THEN THATS THE PROBLEM

Thanks for the replies,

Should this be the case even if the car is static and the steering wheel is turned? The noise is more than slight so im quite worried ha!

Cheers in advance :ph34r:

check the lower universal joint on the steering shaft...these were prone on fiesta's and the same joint is fitted to the ka WITHOUT power steering...like yours.

Its a black joint on the bottom of the shaft attaching to the rack.....they wear and start knocking. £29.99

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club