Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Irritating Noise From 1.8Tddi Estate ...

Nug878

This started a week ago.

When I pass 40mph, there's a strange noise coming from the front of the car. It's like a deep droning/humming noise.

I can't work out what it is. :huh:

I can't see it being mechanical. There's no crunches or odd vibrations from the gearbox, no loss of power of jerking. It's really strange.

Only difference to the car at the moment is the grill from the bumper has been removed ready to fit day running lights on it ... But I can't see that being the cause of it.

Anyone else experienced this or anybody got any ideas to what this could be?

If I got time this week I'll try and get a video so you can hear the noise for yourselves.

Cheers in advanced. :)

This started a week ago.

When I pass 40mph, there's a strange noise coming from the front of the car. It's like a deep droning/humming noise.

I can't work out what it is. huh.gif

I can't see it being mechanical. There's no crunches or odd vibrations from the gearbox, no loss of power of jerking. It's really strange.

Only difference to the car at the moment is the grill from the bumper has been removed ready to fit day running lights on it ... But I can't see that being the cause of it.

Anyone else experienced this or anybody got any ideas to what this could be?

If I got time this week I'll try and get a video so you can hear the noise for yourselves.

Cheers in advanced. smile.gif

wheel bearings if its only happening whewn the cars moving they satrt with a droning noise and it increases as it gets worn more

Thanks for the reply! :)

I've done a bit more digging around on the net and it does seem like it's the wheel bearing. It will be getting done this week.

Any idea rougghly how much it is to get done?

I had the 2 rear wheel bearings done on my mk1 hatch about 3 months ago. Cost £130 inc vat at a local garage.

I had the 2 rear wheel bearings done on my mk1 hatch about 3 months ago. Cost £130 inc vat at a local garage.

cheaper way is buy the bearings from say eBay and just pay for the labour it will be a bit cheaper that way http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-98-2005-FIESTA-KA-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-NEW_W0QQitemZ110377089469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19b2fcb9bd

these ones are better but a quid dearer http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-ALL-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-8121_W0QQitemZ160372715628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2556f5706c

so 30 quid for 2 bearings then its just a case of finding out how much the labour would be and then find out how much it would cost with the parts supplied and see whats cheaper

Thanks for the reply! :)

I've done a bit more digging around on the net and it does seem like it's the wheel bearing. It will be getting done this week.

Any idea rougghly how much it is to get done?

You might want to check the intermediate shaft support bearing aswell as i had the same noise and thought it was my wheel bearings but found out it was that support bearing on the driveshaft :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club