22 replies to this topic

#16 Gazbar

Gazbar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford S-Max 1.8 TDCi [5] Zetec

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Hi All,

I recently purchased an S-Max and experienced the bonnet release issues described above, but with the advice you have published for free you have saved me over 150 for a new catch assy my local Ford dealer wanted to fit and they said that MIGHT sort the problem, it may have still needed a cable.

Being an ex Rover 75 driver, I have become familiar with forums and the valuable part they play in modern motoring.

Thanks again.

Gazbar.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 MattH3764

MattH3764

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Smax

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

Same problem for me today and thanks to those who post here in helping fix it. Actually, I didnt even need to remove the plastic cover - simply fiddling with the spring in the latch with the blade of a screwdriver made it snap back into place.

#18 elliotclapp

elliotclapp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: SMax

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Had the same problem of bonnet not closing properly and there was no need to remove the backplate or anything complicated like that - it was a simple case of fiddling with the spring that you can see clearly in the catch area. Mine had just come unseated from it's original housing and worked fine as soon as i put it back in the correct position. Very simple!

#19 aninswed

aninswed

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Ford Model: S-Max
  • Year: 2008

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Thanks everyone for this. I had this problem a couple of months ago - local (non-Ford) garage sorted it for 25.00. But it happened again yesterday. The garage was shut, and I need to get to Norfolk on Tuesday. Poking about in the aperture where you can see the spring sorted it, but the information system is stubbornly showing the bonnet as open - maybe a dirty contact, so I'll give everything a good spray with WD-40 to see if that helps. I've muted the audible alarm, and done a quick drive round the block - no rattling so I'm sure the bonnet has locked.

#20 saltyzip

saltyzip

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Stephen
  • Ford Model: S-Max
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

I've had this problem too and the RAC fixed it for me the first time, subsequently I've been able to do it myself. It is bad design from ford in that any old debris can get through the grill and lodge itself into the bonnet catch, mine was a chunk of grit from a gritter lorry on both occasions.

Worth flushing the catch and spraying with WD40 each time you refill the screen wash.

Cheers
S.

#21 simon80

simon80

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: simon
  • Ford Model: s-max
  • Year: 2007

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

I changed the cable last weekend after having the same problem. It involved the removal of the headlight, airbox, battery and several covers both inside and out. It took me about 5 hours in all so I can see why the garage charges 125 pound.

#22 John Zero

John Zero

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: S Max
  • Year: 2009

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Dear Forum,

I would like to pass on my thanks to the members/forum site contributors for their wisdom. I own two fords (Galaxy 56 & S-Max 59) it seems problems come in two's, so as I was about to address the one regarding the Galaxy, with a flat battery, I then used my S-Max to jump start the Galaxy. I had a great deal of trouble locking the bonnet to my S-Max, but after visiting this forum and following the steps by unclipping the cover and using a 10mm socket as suggested, I noticed that the cable was sticking. I gave the assembly a clean up and applied a little 3in1 and hey presto the catch functions as it should have. Mine has also suffered from the small crack above the badge, which is annoying, however I'll just have to keep an eye on the paint work to see when/if it will get any worse. 

Getting back to the fix, the job was done in little more than 15 minutes, so thank you forum members for saving me a great deal of time and a lot of money. Now I'd better address the Galaxy issue!!

Kind regards

John Zero

#23 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 S-max Titanium X Sport 2.5T

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Your flat battery on the Galaxy is probably down to it running the wrong software - you can easily check this by locking the car and noting whether the instrument cluster powers straight down, or stays lit for a while afterwards. If it stays lit then you have the old software and the battery drain issue will occur again & again.

As for the bonnet cable, there is a "how-to" on the smax owners club forum on how to prevent the issue from ever occuring.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users