Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squawking Brakes

jeebowhite

Annoyingly I have had a little squeak from (I think) the offside front disk. I have jacked up the car, and when I turned the wheel round and round, it appears that the pads where rubbing against the disk. I then went over to the nearside front, and did the same, but no squeak.

My immediate presumption is the piston is at fault, I am hoping I am wrong, has anyone any advice? annoyingly I don't think that the break pads are worn down unevenly as they seem to be about the same...

as long as both sides are wearing the same your piston is ok but to stop the squeeling just take your pads out and add a little bit of copper grease and that should solve it

Might be a silly question, Last time I took a cars brakes apart was my 95 Citroen AX...

Do I need to just knock the pads out, are they clipped, or should I buy a Haynes manual to help with this?

there are 2 hex drive bolts that hold the caliper on once these are un done remove the caliper and the pads should just sit in the bracket net to the disk but if you dont feel comfortable with this you can not go far roung with a haynes manual.

Might be a silly question, Last time I took a cars brakes apart was my 95 Citroen AX...

Do I need to just knock the pads out, are they clipped, or should I buy a Haynes manual to help with this?

the answeer with pics and step by step guide http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=40&ht=Raplacing+front+disc+brake+rotors+and+pads the pads should pretty much make contact with the disk at all times theres not a lot in the gap as the wheel rotates and is slightly unbalanced youll hear it rub you only have an issue when you can barely turn the wheel at all

Thanks guys, so do we recon the copper grease will work? I know its a silly question but is it not a bad idea putting grease on the brake pads? or is this a good fix?

Thanks

Thanks guys, so do we recon the copper grease will work? I know its a silly question but is it not a bad idea putting grease on the brake pads? or is this a good fix?

Thanks

You only add copper grease to the BACKS of brake pads , and then only a smear , you don't want it contaminating the friction surface.

I read somewhere that the squeal comes from vibration, so does the grease then lubricate and stop the vibration and rubbing of the metal compounds? and where do I get the grease from?

I read somewhere that the squeal comes from vibration, so does the grease then lubricate and stop the vibration and rubbing of the metal compounds? and where do I get the grease from?

caused by friction and yep the copper grease prevents the friction its an anti sieze compound and works at high temps you can get it from almost any parts store including Halfords add a pea sized amount to a gloved finger and rub it on the rear of the pad taking care not to get it on the front when done remove the glove you used to smear it on or use a small brush make sure youre hands are clean of grease and refit the pad do this with both pads each side

Thanks,I have had a quick look online and seen a spray and stick so will possibly go and grab one of them later, and using the link that you provided earlier to take it all apart.

Thanks,I have had a quick look online and seen a spray and stick so will possibly go and grab one of them later, and using the link that you provided earlier to take it all apart.

go or the stick ive used the spray and its messy as hell and never goes where you want it to

I mentioned to the mechanic when i had my pads done last month to put some copper grease behind the pads to stop any annoying squeaks. He told me modern brake pads now come with a anti squeal or squeaking noise behind the pads to do away using copper grease.

I dont tend to believe all mechanics, its annoying how one says that they have anti squeal and another will say that the squeals are normal... When will they get their stories straight?

All I need now is a C clamp and a good bit of time to try and sort this squeal out!

as part of my job i change alot of brake pads and the manafactures have tryed all sorts to solve this problem like metal shims and paper baking on the pads but they all fail at some point and you can not go roung with a bit of grease.

Thats the one he mentioned the metal shim. I had squeaky breaks on my last car that squeaked for 6 months. It annoyed the hell out of me at first, but i eventually got used to it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club