Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Reversing Lights!!!

rts

Hi, just came across this forum while searching for answers as to why the reversing lights on my Ford Fiesta 1.4 tdci have stopped working. Maybe someone here could point me in the right direction. The bulbs are fine as is the fuse. I have checked the reversing light switch which is getting power. I have bypassed the switch but there is no power getting to the reversing lights at the rear. It looks like there is a problem with wiring between the switch and the rear of the car. Where do I start to check? Are there any other connection points that I can check? I did look at the wiring running under the drivers door but I'm not sure which wire feeds the reversing lights. The one at the gearbox switch is Green and brown but it doesn't seem to exist any further back. Any help, advice, thougts etc would be greatly appreciated. All the other lights at the rear are working fine. Thanks. Terry

the common place for trouble is with the wires at the tailgate hinge area where they go into the tailgate.

the common place for trouble is with the wires at the tailgate hinge area where they go into the tailgate.

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the tailgate area but nothing seems to be amiss. My local dealership decided it was the bulbs and wanted £40 to change them. (I think not, I can manage the 4 screws myself). I'm not sure if they checked any further than that. I had already checked all the obvious things but now I'm left with no reversing lights. I may try another dealership tomorrow. Thanks again for your reply. Terry

i remember my mate had a problem with the reverse light switch so when he put it into reverse the car didn't send the signal too the lights too tell them come on if you get me, apparently there was just a switch located somewhere near the gearbox or engine bay something like that, if that is the one you mean in what you said then sorry for repeating you!

• 1 year later...

me and my mate worked on one of these today with all the same symptoms and this is what we found which in case might be the same as yours.

For you to do it you will need your radio code as you need to disconnet the battery and take out the battery box to get to the part of the loom.

where you have the green and red why coming out of the reverse switch on the output side if you follow it up then you will see it goes along the side of the battery box were is then goes in to a splice for it to do the right and left side of the car.

so its green and red going up then where you hit the splice on a bend in the loom it breaks off to white & yellow on one and white and red i think on the other.

we found that is was i break down in the splice so we redone the splice and then the light were working as normal. hope this helps you out and i will check up to see if it has sorted it for you

• 5 years later...

Can confirm What David Taylor said above as i found the same problem.

Please see picture attached for more info 

Cheers

Mark

IMG_0622b.jpg

IMG_0623a.jpg

that was a handy bit of info. if it was mine and I had not seen this I would probably have taken the easy option and run a new wire from the switch to the back of the car. Well, I say the easy option, it is easy in that you don't spend time trying to find the fault, it is just a work around but it would require a long bit of wire and some routing of it.

In case anyone wonders, reversing lights are not part of MOT , but I still like to have them working, not just as a warning to those behind me, but also so i can see where I am reversing in the dark. Much better for cars to have two reversing lights for this, but I know a lot only have one 

• 5 months later...

I have Fiesta, 1.6 Sport 2011.

Where is the reverse light switch located and how do I get to it?

its on the gearbox at the front looking at car. get at it from  under  car

15 minutes ago, iantt said:

its on the gearbox at the front looking at car. get at it from  under  car

Is there any way to get to it via the bonnet section? - I don't have a jack or even the space to work underneath.

I've seen videos where guys remove the battery and battery holder.

don't know if your car has a undertray on it under engine , if not, park over a high curb and it should give you enough room to get under there. when the reversing light stopped working on my Focus it just needed the plug pulling off the switch and putting back on

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, isetta said:

hi,

my car has failed the MOT today due to no reverse lights, the bulbs are fine.

that was a handy bit of info. if it was mine and I had not seen this I would probably have taken the easy option and run a new wire from the switch to the back of the car. Well, I say the easy option, it is easy in that you don't spend time trying to find the fault, it is just a work around but it would require a long bit of wire and some routing of it.

In case anyone wonders, reversing lights are not part of MOT , but I still like to have them working, not just as a warning to those behind me, but also so i can see where I am reversing in the dark. Much better for cars to have two reversing lights for this, but I know a lot only have one 

In December 2017 I said above that cars don't fail MOT on reversing lights. That was true at that time. In May 2018 the rules were altered and cars first used after a certain date will fail on reversing light not working.

from the book: 

You must inspect all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009.

Reversing lamps must show a white light to the rear. On some vehicles it may be necessary to have the engine running before the reversing lamps will work.

At least one reversing lamp must be fitted.

• 6 months later...

I have 12v on my reverse light socket but when I insert my "working " globe it does not illuminate.  I have tested with a multimeter and there is power on the socket. The globe is also making good contact with the socket. It's as if the voltage dissapeares as soon as I plug in the globe. Any ideas?