Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Problem

herbie_flowers

Hi guys great forum.

I've got a problem with my Focus that I'd like you to help me with. After going back 25 pages of the forum I may have found the solution but would like it confirming.

Basically, driving home one morning after work (an hours drive), on my dash displays all the needles would go to the extreme right then they would all drop to zero while all the dash lights would light up and the engine would just tickover and not respond to me pressing the accelerator. This happened 3 times at various speeds and scared the life out of me and anyone following behind. Each time it happened I didn't switch the engine off in case it wouldn't start and it would take anything up to 10 mins to get going again. Could this fault be the VSS that others have had similar problems with?

Thanks for any help ;)

I wondered what the hell you were talking about when you mentioned VSS. I Googled VSS and it came up with vehicle speed sensor. So i take it this must obviously be the thing that takes a reading of the speed and transmits it to the speedo on the dashboard? Amazing what you pick up on these boards.

Hi guys great forum.

I've got a problem with my Focus that I'd like you to help me with. After going back 25 pages of the forum I may have found the solution but would like it confirming.

Basically, driving home one morning after work (an hours drive), on my dash displays all the needles would go to the extreme right then they would all drop to zero while all the dash lights would light up and the engine would just tickover and not respond to me pressing the accelerator. This happened 3 times at various speeds and scared the life out of me and anyone following behind. Each time it happened I didn't switch the engine off in case it wouldn't start and it would take anything up to 10 mins to get going again. Could this fault be the VSS that others have had similar problems with?

Thanks for any help wink.gif

it could very well be though cluster faults can appear the same given how much of a pig the vss can be to do it may be worth getting ford to do it ive seen a few that have taken hours to do and in some cases the vss was replaced and the fault was still there as it was a dash cluster fault on the front page do the sticky of how to check for faults and see if any show up first

• 3 months later...

Just got my car back today from my local stealers, 3 weeks and a grand of my hard earned handed over, and they are sure the problem is fixed. I had major electrical problems due to water corrosion of some of the electrical contacts in the passenger footwell fusebox. Basically it couldn't talk to any of the modules so shut itself down as a precaution.....not what you want if overtaking somone on a single carriageway :blink:

Just got my car back today from my local stealers, 3 weeks and a grand of my hard earned handed over, and they are sure the problem is fixed. I had major electrical problems due to water corrosion of some of the electrical contacts in the passenger footwell fusebox. Basically it couldn't talk to any of the modules so shut itself down as a precaution.....not what you want if overtaking somone on a single carriageway :blink:

strange major corrosion of those contacts would suggest water was getting into the car likely from the pollen filter its worth taking the pass side carpet up and having a nose under there theres quite thick padding so small continous leaks wouldnt be obvious