Photo

Which Cleaner Is Best To Be Poured Down In The Tank?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 zetec, Mark II, petrol (manu 56 reg)

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

I currently have an issue with my vehicle which is under the 'delayed acceleration' topic. I am thinking of poring some cleaner down my tank, what cleaner works? What cleaner does the manufaturer recommends?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

I currently have an issue with my vehicle which is under the 'delayed acceleration' topic. I am thinking of poring some cleaner down my tank, what cleaner works? What cleaner does the manufaturer recommends?

Technically they dont recommend any, as it invalidates any warranty that still stands. The best thing to do is treat the tank with "Redex", that will at least give the injectors a quick once over. It really depends on the state of the car overall, and how well serviced it is. as its a Mark 2, unless you have racked up around 80,000 miles, the redex will probably suffice.

Over the longer term, a good service may well come in handy, air, fuel and oil filters, oil, and spark/glow plugs (not sure if yours is P or D), and if it is diesel, and you have done a fair few amount of miles, you may need the DPF clearing through.

Can you give us more info on the car, Mileage, fuel type, age, trim, etc?

#3 hillmangimp

hillmangimp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCI
Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

Or try a couple of tanks of premium fuel such as BP ultimate or Shell V power as they have cleaning properties added to them.

#4 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

ok here is the info:

the car is a petrol, 16k miles, 56 reg, zetec with climate and driven mainly urban.

I have read somewhere that redex creates lots of particulates, is that good for the cat?

Will buying premium petrol really help?

#5 hillmangimp

hillmangimp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCI
Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

ok here is the info:

the car is a petrol, 16k miles, 56 reg, zetec with climate and driven mainly urban.

I have read somewhere that redex creates lots of particulates, is that good for the cat?

Hard to say if premium fuel or additives such as redex will help. If you think the problem may be due to dirt/contamination in the fuel system/injectors it may be worth a go before you take it to a mechanic.

#6 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

ok here is the info:

To be fair, the age, and mileage of your vehicle would indicate its less likely to be "wear and tear", items like redex are ok, they do generate particles, but its no worse really than a tank of "unclean" fuel. Excessive use of redex possibly would cause damage over time, however as one off it wont cause any damage. Its always worth a try though, either a 6 bottle of redex, or a 50 diagnostics fee, which may then result in them using the equivelant of a bottle of 6 redex, and labour!

It may well be worth taking your spark plugs out and taking a look for any damage.

Has it always been this way, or has it degraded over time?

#7 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

i just bought the vehicle a month ago and spark plugs have been changed. It has always been this way since i bought it.

#8 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

i just bought the vehicle a month ago and spark plugs have been changed. It has always been this way since i bought it.

Use the pinned up topic at the top of the forum to check that there are no error codes, if theres nothing there try redex, and other than that you are probably going to have to go to a mechanic.

#9 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

tried that and no DTC codes

#10 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,212 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

tried that and no DTC codes

Have you tried the redex?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users