Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problem

cube101

Hello all, hoping someone can shed some light on the following?

I have a Fiesta Mk6 on an 04 plate 1.4 zetec (about 45K milage). All been fine up untill this morning when I went out to the supermarket. I managed to stall it at the end of the road with quite a shudder, then it would not start and made a terrable screech/grinding noise when turing the ignition key but would not actually turn over. Tried a few times but nothing except this noise... called green flag... guy arrived and of course worked first time!! (typical) got it back home tried it again and would not work again... left if for about 10 mins and then did work. Its seems now to work quite randomly but every so often i get this loud screetch and it wont turn over but if i then leave it a few mins it will generally then start????? very odd, any ideas? does it sound like im in need of a new starter moter? flyweel/gear? Any body have any ideas how much i can expect to pay for a new starter moter and fitting?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Steve

i would have a good look at the connections to the starter motor and maybe even whip it off for a look at the gear and also the flywheel just in case.

if the motor is duff, i reckon you will be nearly £100 for a recon one plus an hours labour.

Hello all, hoping someone can shed some light on the following?

I have a Fiesta Mk6 on an 04 plate 1.4 zetec (about 45K milage). All been fine up untill this morning when I went out to the supermarket. I managed to stall it at the end of the road with quite a shudder, then it would not start and made a terrable screech/grinding noise when turing the ignition key but would not actually turn over. Tried a few times but nothing except this noise... called green flag... guy arrived and of course worked first time!! (typical) got it back home tried it again and would not work again... left if for about 10 mins and then did work. Its seems now to work quite randomly but every so often i get this loud screetch and it wont turn over but if i then leave it a few mins it will generally then start????? very odd, any ideas? does it sound like im in need of a new starter moter? flyweel/gear? Any body have any ideas how much i can expect to pay for a new starter moter and fitting?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Steve

I have the same problem when i turn my car over sometimes it does a grinding clicking noise then i try it again and it starts but sometimes it does not do this for a couple of days and them it kicks off again i have a fiesta 1.3i endure e engine on a 51 plate petrol.

if it makes a grinding/horrible noise when it engages sometimes, it might be worth taking the motor off and giving it a good clean out with brake cleaner or similar

if it makes a grinding/horrible noise when it engages sometimes, it might be worth taking the motor off and giving it a good clean out with brake cleaner or similar

Could i just spary the motor with break cleaner while its still on the car instead of takeing it off.

Could i just spary the motor with break cleaner while its still on the car instead of takeing it off.

i doubt you will be able to get a good blast of it into the housing where the gear that engages with the flywhhel is. you could always try though

i doubt you will be able to get a good blast of it into the housing where the gear that engages with the flywhhel is. you could always try though

Is there anything else i could do. i dont know if this is true but i heared giveing the housing a wack with a spanner :unsure: .

Is there anything else i could do. i dont know if this is true but i heared giveing the housing a wack with a spanner :unsure: .

thats an old trick if the starter is stuck :)

im only guessing that its the gear in the starter motor thats causing the noise, i had a similar issue with my clio and after i removed and cleaned the starter it was perfect for the rest of the time i had the car.

thats an old trick if the starter is stuck :)

im only guessing that its the gear in the starter motor thats causing the noise, i had a similar issue with my clio and after i removed and cleaned the starter it was perfect for the rest of the time i had the car.

Is it easy to get of and get to the motor.

Is it easy to get of and get to the motor.

i honestly cant say what the job would be like on your engine (do you have any pics?) but generally they are held in place with 3 bolts. disconnecting the battery is always a good idea too, you dont want to short the live terminal of the battery to the engine block or chassis...

i honestly cant say what the job would be like on your engine (do you have any pics?) but generally they are held in place with 3 bolts. disconnecting the battery is always a good idea too, you dont want to short the live terminal of the battery to the engine block or chassis...

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post if up for you so that you can have a look.

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post if up for you so that you can have a look.

just noticed a slight error, i said short the live terminal of the battery i really meant the starter. although its effectively the same thing.

yeah that will be great, i dont think it will be a big task but i could try point you in the right direction.

just noticed a slight error, i said short the live terminal of the battery i really meant the starter. although its effectively the same thing.

yeah that will be great, i dont think it will be a big task but i could try point you in the right direction.

:lol: ok cheers thanks i will take a pic first thing.