Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission Types

Claxxon

Wonder if anyone can help ? I've been poking around in the handbook for my 1.4tdci and noticed that there are three types of transmission that can be fitted. How would I go about finding out which version I have ?

Wonder if anyone can help ? I've been poking around in the handbook for my 1.4tdci and noticed that there are three types of transmission that can be fitted. How would I go about finding out which version I have ?

Does it say which types are available? I'd have thought they would refer to petrol (IB5), diesel (MTX75) and the automatic (no idea on coding).

Does it say which types are available? I'd have thought they would refer to petrol (IB5), diesel (MTX75) and the automatic (no idea on coding).

Sorry, it appears there are two different manual transmissions plus a Durashift. The Handbook says that there is a stage III and a stage IV transmission available on the 1.4 Duratorq TDCI engine. The stage III has emissions 116 g/kg and costs £35 in road tax whereas the stage IV produces 122 g/kg and costs £120. I would just like to know how you can check to see which is fitted.

Sorry, it appears there are two different manual transmissions plus a Durashift. The Handbook says that there is a stage III and a stage IV transmission available on the 1.4 Duratorq TDCI engine. The stage III has emissions 116 g/kg and costs £35 in road tax whereas the stage IV produces 122 g/kg and costs £120. I would just like to know how you can check to see which is fitted.

Are you possibly confusion transmission with emissions?

The emissions will be dictated by a DPF in some cases to meet Euro compliance levels (i.e. Euro IV and Euro V). Your best bet is to get teh number plate of the car and put it into Ford ETIS, or, look at the V5 document, which details the exact emission level of the car.

Are you possibly confusion transmission with emissions?

The emissions will be dictated by a DPF in some cases to meet Euro compliance levels (i.e. Euro IV and Euro V). Your best bet is to get teh number plate of the car and put it into Ford ETIS, or, look at the V5 document, which details the exact emission level of the car.

One of the reasons I bought my Fusion was that every review I could read of it stated that the annual road tax was £35 as the emissions are below 120g/Kg. When I came to pay the road tax for the coming year, the renewal form said the tax would cost £120. I looked up the V5 and sure enough it said that the emissions were 122 g/Kg which puts it over the 120 g/Kg threshold for the £35 tax. When I dug a bit further I found that the 1.4 TDCi can have one of two different transmissions which the handbook calls Stage III and Stage IV Manual. The figures quoted in the handbook for the two transmission types are 64.2 mpg and 116 g/Kg for the Stage III then 61.4 mpg and 122 g/Kg for the Stage IV. So, other than consulting the V5 (which has been wrong before), how do I tell which transmission has been fitted ?

Try ETIS

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do#

It should be exactly correct!

Which says ;

Vehicle Line: Fiesta/Fusion 2002

Body Style: 5 Door UAV

Version: Series 37

Engine: 1.4L Duratorq-TDCi (68PS) - DV

Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Transaxle - B5/IB5

Drive: RHD FWD

Axle Ratio: 3.61

Emission: Stage IV Emissions

Which to be honest doesn't really seem to help me any. Back in the days when I worked in the automotive industry, every major part of the power train bore it's own identification mark which allowed you to differentiate between the various configurations. I was wondering if Ford do such a thing and what I should look for.

Which says ;

Which to be honest doesn't really seem to help me any. Back in the days when I worked in the automotive industry, every major part of the power train bore it's own identification mark which allowed you to differentiate between the various configurations. I was wondering if Ford do such a thing and what I should look for.

If ETIS and your V5 both say stage IV 122g/km, then I'd say that you do indeed have that variant.

I'm not sure what else you are looking for - apologies for my ignorance here.

If ETIS and your V5 both say stage IV 122g/km, then I'd say that you do indeed have that variant.

I'm not sure what else you are looking for - apologies for my ignorance here.

Please don't apologise, I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

I thought that all 1.4TDCi engined Fusions fell in to the £35 tax bracket and on buying one I found afterwards that they didn't as some have Stage III and some have Stage IV transmissions. This may not be the cause of the higher emissions but it's the only difference that I have been able to track down. As the V5 is not infallible, my wife's Ibiza is a 5 door but the V5 said 3 door, I wondered how you would go about checking that you actually have what is quoted on the paperwork. I'm guessing that the V5 is compiled from information that is supplied by the manufacturer which is more than likely the same information that appears on ETIS. Which made me wonder, if Ford got it wrong, not that I'm saying they have, then how would you find out ?

I guess I'll just have to accept that you have to take their word for it.

Thanks for your input.

Please don't apologise, I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

I thought that all 1.4TDCi engined Fusions fell in to the £35 tax bracket and on buying one I found afterwards that they didn't as some have Stage III and some have Stage IV transmissions. This may not be the cause of the higher emissions but it's the only difference that I have been able to track down. As the V5 is not infallible, my wife's Ibiza is a 5 door but the V5 said 3 door, I wondered how you would go about checking that you actually have what is quoted on the paperwork. I'm guessing that the V5 is compiled from information that is supplied by the manufacturer which is more than likely the same information that appears on ETIS. Which made me wonder, if Ford got it wrong, not that I'm saying they have, then how would you find out ?

I guess I'll just have to accept that you have to take their word for it.

Thanks for your input.

I would suggest having a word with a Ford guy and seeing what their take on the matter is. My girlfriend had a 206 HDi which uses the same 1.4 diesel engine, and that was in the £35 tax bracket as you describe. It does seem rather strange, but there is usually a good reason for it. Did you mention what gearbox you had? I know auto boxes increase emissions for one, even if it does seem like a rather obvious question to ask!

I would suggest having a word with a Ford guy and seeing what their take on the matter is. My girlfriend had a 206 HDi which uses the same 1.4 diesel engine, and that was in the £35 tax bracket as you describe. It does seem rather strange, but there is usually a good reason for it. Did you mention what gearbox you had? I know auto boxes increase emissions for one, even if it does seem like a rather obvious question to ask!

I've got a 5 speed manual. Next time I take it for a service I'll have a chat with one of the mechanics and see what they say.

I've got a 5 speed manual. Next time I take it for a service I'll have a chat with one of the mechanics and see what they say.

It may be after a certain production date they were forced to comply with Euro IV emissions. It's not unheard of to be honest, but better to know than simply guess!

Version: Series 45

Emission: 2000 EEC (EEC 7)

Now i`m also confused :) what`s 2000 EEC ??

Mine is a 2005 Build (MK1) and i`m on £35 road fund ?

Version: Series 45

Emission: 2000 EEC (EEC 7)

Now i`m also confused :) what`s 2000 EEC ??

Mine is a 2005 Build (MK1) and i`m on £35 road fund ?

And what's the difference between a series 45 and a series 37 ? Mine is a 2006 build, if that's any help ......

• 1 month later...

And what's the difference between a series 45 and a series 37 ? Mine is a 2006 build, if that's any help ......

I just thought I'd add a footnote to my quest for transmission types. The Fuzzy had to head on in for an MOT a week or so back and the tester told me that it was touch and go on the emissions. He couldn't believe that an 06 plate with 44,000 would fail the test so ran it through again and again until it managed to squeeze below the limit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club