Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Won't Start

GroupB

Hi all,

Hope someone out there can help!!!!!

On Friday my mother in law drove up with her Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec s, 2002 last of the mark 4's.

The weekend before I had to change a badly worn and noisey water pump - everything went well, changed it ok and away she went.

At the time I noticed the cambelt looked worn so I asked if she had had it changed since she bought 4 years ago, she said no. She bought the car with

26k on the clock and it was now at 90k, so I said bring back up to me and I would change the cam belt for her, as she struggles to pay normal garage prices as she is a pensioner.

Anyway, got the new timing belt kit and timing tools (timing pin and camshaft bar.

Got the engine stripped down ready to remove the old belt, but struggled with the crankshaft bolt, eventually used a impact socket and long bar to loosen it.

OK All off.

Now I must mention at this time, my mate!! simply pulled off the belt, great!

Anyway shouldn't be a problem with the correct tools I have.

Loosened off the cam sprockets and placed the cams at TDC using the Camshaft bar. , number 4 piston, exhaust just opening, inlet closing.

Then I set number 1 piston to TDC on the crank using the timing pin (Sorry should have mentioned I refitted the new timing belt onto the crank sprocket, which isn't keyed in antway, and replaced the crankshaft pulley).

I then fitted the tnew tensioner roller then tighten up the camshaft sprockets with them at TDC. Reoved the camshaft bar, Still all OK.

Checked the crankshaft and piston 1 was at TDC again and that it matched up with the camshafts and that the camshaft timing bar fitted ok.

Fine everything seems to be set up ok, checked a couple more time to to make sure.

Refiited all the parts back on the engine ready to try it.

Turned the key, engine back fired very slightly and wouldnt start.

Tried a few time to start it still no go - S**t, whats wrong.

I then proceeded to strip the engine again (I actually did this 5 times even turning the cam 180 degrees at one stage) rebuilt it and tried to start it again.... Double, treble and whatever S**t, still would start.

Placed a diagnostic tool borrowed from my mate to see it any codes came up - but nothing.

I am now on my 3rd day with the problem.

HAS ANYONE PLEASE GOT ANY IDEAS??????

The car turnsover but sounds as though it is not firing, but there is a spark and there is fuel.

Any suggestions are extremely appreciated.

Yours Group B

(Sorry its a long story but I felt I needed to tell you exactly what I had done)

hello and welcome to the forum :)

hopefully someone will be able to help you out with this one. cam belts are the one and only thing i will not touch on a car, too much of a hassle and so easy to get wrong.

did you rotate the engine by hand after fitting the belt?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club