Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Issues

fish4tea

hi..

seem to have developed a starting issue with my tdci fine this morning went out then car would nt turn over,dont suspect the immobilizer as all signs and light on clock show key is recognised but when go to start all that happens is a click from engine bay battery fine good volts and no change when jumpleads are used so i am suspecting the starter motor as the click i'm assuming is the solinoid,will check the earth cables tomorrow has any one got anything to add or had this before ?

have had starter motors fail on cars before but normally give you a bit of indication that it is about to fail any help gladly received

also the car starts fine if pushed or bump started

hi..

seem to have developed a starting issue with my tdci fine this morning went out then car would nt turn over,dont suspect the immobilizer as all signs and light on clock show key is recognised but when go to start all that happens is a click from engine bay battery fine good volts and no change when jumpleads are used so i am suspecting the starter motor as the click i'm assuming is the solinoid,will check the earth cables tomorrow has any one got anything to add or had this before ?

have had starter motors fail on cars before but normally give you a bit of indication that it is about to fail any help gladly received

as you rightly said, its not the immobiliser as this would not stop the engine turning over, it would stop fuel and spark(only on petrol engine ofcourse).

usually dirty connections or a bad earth will cause a clicking sound, connect one of your jump leads to a clean bit of the engine and the negative battery terminal and give it a try, this will show up a bad earth.

as you rightly said, its not the immobiliser as this would not stop the engine turning over, it would stop fuel and spark.

usually dirty connections or a bad earth will cause a clicking sound, connect one of your jump leads to a clean bit of the engine and the negative battery terminal and give it a try, this will show up a bad earth.

tried that but no change all points to the motor by the look of it,just looked in the haynes and looks a pig to get to as has to be got at from underneath

hi..

hmm, might be the starter then. and yes i can imagine its going to be a pig of a job :(

HI FISH4TEA I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TROUBLE IS AS IT HAPPENED TO ME.

TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM IS SIMPLE AND NO YOU DONT HAVE TO REMOVE STARTER FROM

UNDERNEATH IT CAN BE REMOVED FROM THE TOP.!!!

SO YOU REMOVE STARTER REMOVE SOLENOID OFF IT AND PLACE IN CONTAINER OF BRAKE DUST

REMOVING FLUID BOUGHT FROM MOST MOTOR ACCESSORY STORES.

LEAVE OVERNIGHT AND THEN REFIT!!!!!! NO MORE STARTING ISSUES.!!

WHY ???? BECAUSE THE POSITION OF THE STARTER IS SUCH THAT IT ACCUMULATES

CARBON DEPOSITS FROM THE CLUTCH AND THIS ACTS AS AN INSULATOR STOPPING THE CONTACTS FROM MAKING A GOOD

CONNECTION. THE SOLENOID IS A SEALED UNIT OTHER THAN HAVING A PLUNGER OPENING TO WHICH

THE FLUID SEEPS THROUGH AND CLEANS THE SOLENOID.

GLAD TO HELP TRY THIS AND BE START TROUBLE FREE !!!!!!!!!!

SO YOU REMOVE STARTER REMOVE SOLENOID OFF IT AND PLACE IN CONTAINER OF BRAKE DUST

CARBON DEPOSITS FROM THE CLUTCH AND THIS ACTS AS AN INSULATOR STOPPING THE CONTACTS FROM MAKING A GOOD

CONNECTION. THE SOLENOID IS A SEALED UNIT OTHER THAN HAVING A PLUNGER OPENING TO WHICH

sounds highly plausable will give it a go tomorrow,only problem will be starting it tomorrow as live in suffolk and we have a distinct lack of hills to park it on for a bump start,but hey thats another day

sounds highly plausable will give it a go tomorrow,only problem will be starting it tomorrow as live in suffolk and we have a distinct lack of hills to park it on for a bump start,but hey thats another day

fixed now I hope, worked on the bench ok so no real idea what was wrong, seemed clean, so cleaned and lubed it up and so far so good,but was easier to remove it from the underneath on this car anyway