Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reprogramming Key Fob...update

Bulletguy

Further to my previous thread concerning the reprogramming of a second fob and key, just thought i'd update after making a few phone calls today.

One auto locksmith in my locality told me outright that "no it cannot be done even if the fob part numbers are identical," so I wrote him out straight away!

I then contacted Bristol Street Motors, the local main Ford Dealer, who confirmed it can be done, takes about an hour and costs £75 plus vat. :o

After searching Google I located another local auto locksmith and he charges £75 all in. Plenty of locksmiths in my area but very few auto locksmiths, so 'shopping around' for a better price would seem to be impossible.

All told this 'exercise' will have cost me just over £100 in order to get a spare key up and running.....the morale of which being never ever lose that spare key which all cars should come with, second hand or not. If you buy a used car with only one key then dependant upon make/model you should either get the seller to pay for one or knock the cost off the price. My son has an Audi and the keyfob for his particular model costs £400!

there is an auto locksmith near me that can do any key for any car.

I only had the single 3 button remote key when I bought mine, so I bought a blank shaft off eBay, and a "spare" old key with the electronics. The ebayer advertised the key with the specific part number i required, but he sent a different key (identical to look at but completely different transponder etc) with the very flippant excuse that he had 2 to sell, and sent the wrong one off to the wrong person (no apology.."what can i do?" he said!)

anyway, my local auto locksmith cut the key and reprogrammed the "wrong" fob to my car for both remote lock-unlock and immobilizer no problem.

£45

my local auto locksmith cut the key and reprogrammed the "wrong" fob to my car for both remote lock-unlock and immobilizer no problem.

£45

My second fob came via eBay but i'd already been told I had to make sure it had the identical part number, and in my case the sellers description was correct.

In your case i'd say the fact you managed to get the "wrong" fob reprogrammed, for £45 is a real plus! Nobody in my area doing them at that price.

I've just had mine done and it's working 100%. Whole job took no longer than 20 minutes. A nice little earner considering the guy had three cars in just from today where the owners had lost the keys!

My second fob came via ebay but i'd already been told I had to make sure it had the identical part number, and in my case the sellers description was correct.

In your case i'd say the fact you managed to get the "wrong" fob reprogrammed, for £45 is a real plus! Nobody in my area doing them at that price.

I've just had mine done and it's working 100%. Whole job took no longer than 20 minutes. A nice little earner considering the guy had three cars in just from today where the owners had lost the keys!

ive proghrammed 3 fobs all from the scrapyard from other cars 2 mondeos and a focus and had no issues at all 5 minute job and they were programmed from what ive seen all 3 button fobs are generic same part number same maker and frequency either that or ive been very lucky

ive programmed 3 fobs all from the scrapyard from other cars 2 mondeos and a focus and had no issues at all 5 minute job and they were programmed from what ive seen all 3 button fobs are generic same part number same maker and frequency either that or ive been very lucky

Arty.....apparently programming the fob/s is only a part of it and can easily be done. I'd already achieved that with mine and the fob would operate the c/l system....but that won't start the engine.

This guy explained to me that the key transponder then has to be programmed into the cars electronics so that it will 'recognise' both keys, and that can only be done through the diagnostics plug. It cannot be done just from the fob. Later model Fords are even more difficult with Ford flatly refusing to sell the software other than to their own dealerships....neatly cornering the market and thereby forcing the owner to go back to the main dealer.

The computer appeared to be similar to what Ford Garages use to run diagnostic checks on various parts of the engine.

Arty.....apparently programming the fob/s is only a part of it and can easily be done. I'd already achieved that with mine and the fob would operate the c/l system....but that won't start the engine.

This guy explained to me that the key transponder then has to be programmed into the cars electronics so that it will 'recognise' both keys, and that can only be done through the diagnostics plug. It cannot be done just from the fob. Later model Fords are even more difficult with Ford flatly refusing to sell the software other than to their own dealerships....neatly cornering the market and thereby forcing the owner to go back to the main dealer.

The computer appeared to be similar to what Ford Garages use to run diagnostic checks on various parts of the engine.

the key can be done manually as i have already done mine the transponder is easy to do but as i said you need 2 original keys to do it not 1 it cant be done manually with 1 key as the procedure involves putting the first original key in the ignition switching it on so many times then removing it ands putting the second original key in only after the second transponder signal is recieved will the car enter programme mode now the new key and transponder are inserted and this codes it to the car along with the original keys it only needs software when only one key is available as the car cant and wont enter learn mode it can only be done through the obd port coding the car to the key ive explained this too many times but many fail to grasp it and i already said in my previous post that the remote fob has nothing to do with starting the car and that the 2 keys need to be used but as you only had 1 you would need the locksmith to do it it can be done manually as the ford manual tells you but only with 2 keys ive done about 4 cars for friends and it works

You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed or have a auto locksmith do it

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

the key can be done manually as i have already done mine the transponder is easy to do but as i said you need 2 original keys to do it not 1 it cant be done manually....

Understood. And that was my problem.....only one key (when car purchased) because some previous plonker owner 'mislaid' or 'lost' the other. So now if the fancy takes me I can go out and get a couple of more keys and do it myself I suppose, but one spare is enough for me and i'm not in the habit of losing keys! Not to mention it's been an expensive exercise!

Yeah i know you might feel you've been bangin' at a brick wall the last few posts but hey...this grey matter of mine is 60 years old now! ;) :lol:

Understood. And that was my problem.....only one key (when car purchased) because some previous plonker owner 'mislaid' or 'lost' the other. So now if the fancy takes me I can go out and get a couple of more keys and do it myself I suppose, but one spare is enough for me and i'm not in the habit of losing keys! Not to mention it's been an expensive exercise!

Yeah i know you might feel you've been bangin' at a brick wall the last few posts but hey...this grey matter of mine is 60 years old now! wink.giflaugh.gif

you can programme up to 8 keys but 2 usually suffices then again its best to have 3 but who cares you have it all up and working and thats what matters it was cheaper than ford would charge my old vw could only be done by obd including the remote fob my key plus cut plus programming made my 150 quid lighter

• 3 years later...

the key can be done manually as i have already done mine the transponder is easy to do but as i said you need 2 original keys to do it not 1 it cant be done manually with 1 key as the procedure involves putting the first original key in the ignition switching it on so many times then removing it ands putting the second original key in only after the second transponder signal is recieved will the car enter programme mode now the new key and transponder are inserted and this codes it to the car along with the original keys it only needs software when only one key is available as the car cant and wont enter learn mode it can only be done through the obd port coding the car to the key ive explained this too many times but many fail to grasp it and i already said in my previous post that the remote fob has nothing to do with starting the car and that the 2 keys need to be used but as you only had 1 you would need the locksmith to do it it can be done manually as the ford manual tells you but only with 2 keys ive done about 4 cars for friends and it works

You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed or have a auto locksmith do it

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

Hi, I have followed steps one to five and joy of joys it works the car will start with that new key :) But.......

when you take the key out of the ignition it looses the programming :(

Am I doing something wrong?

Matt

the beep should happen when the ignition is at zero press the remote button you get a beep if you have a second remote press that button in 3 secs then switch ignition to pos 2 then off now it should keep the programme

Hi, I have followed steps one to five and joy of joys it works the car will start with that new key :) But.......

when you take the key out of the ignition it looses the programming :(

Am I doing something wrong?

Matt

Matt, it might be that the key you are trying to programme isn't compatible with your car.

On the earlier cars they used the ID4C, or red chip, and there are thousands of remotes out there with them fitted,

While on cars after roughly 2001 they used the ID4D, or light blue chip, which are less common, so it could be that the incorrect chip for your car is fitted in the remote you have purchased