31 replies to this topic

#1 IMW

IMW

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Ford Model: '06 Focus 2.0 Ghia Estate Auto

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

I bought a set of genuine front mudflaps from FordOnlineParts.co.uk (excellent service, highly recommended) and decided today was the day to fit them.

All went well until the time came to put on the middle fixing - sorry, but only those who have done this job will know what I mean. Anyway, the instructions were less than clear when it came to this task and, to put it bluntly, I made a pig's ear of it. The part just slid off the mudflap and the pressure I was exerting to clip the two parts of the fixing together drove them together so firmly that I can't disaasemble it and have another try. The two screw fixings, top and bottom, seem to be holding the mudflap secure but it's obvious to the eye that it needs tightening up in the middle. I've not attempted to put this fixing on the second mudflap.

So, a few questions:
First, has anyone successfully used this fixing? If so, could you tell me how.
Second, is there anyway to undo this fixing. I fear it is a one-time use job.
Third, does anyone have a spare fixing I could buy off them? I doubt that the part would be available as a spare from Ford.

Thanks,

Ian

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Is it the bit with the tab you are somehow meant to fold over and apply the clip to? It was tricky (I left the wheel on), but possible. Would suggest pliers if possible and removing the wheel if convenient.

#3 hawker

hawker

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 Focus 1.6 TDCi

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

I assume you mean the middle fixing of the front mudflaps, as the middle fixing of the rears have a clip+bolt type arrangement.

The plastic tab of the mudflap itself needs to be folded over, and this clamp goes over this folded piece.
If you look at the plastic L-Shaped retainer provided with the mudlfaps, it has 2 slats on the topmost edge in which the toothed U-shaped metal clamp gets squeezed into with pliers, over the plastic tab of the mudflap that i mentioned.

As for removing one that has been clamped, then I'm not sure. I've never tried it but I guess the toothed edges will make this very difficult.

Can the mudlflap be removed with no screws attached having just the central clamp fitted? Its worth a go. It might be much easier then to separate the clamp

#4 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

I bought a set of genuine front mudflaps from FordOnlineParts.co.uk (excellent service, highly recommended) and decided today was the day to fit them.

All went well until the time came to put on the middle fixing - sorry, but only those who have done this job will know what I mean. Anyway, the instructions were less than clear when it came to this task and, to put it bluntly, I made a pig's ear of it. The part just slid off the mudflap and the pressure I was exerting to clip the two parts of the fixing together drove them together so firmly that I can't disaasemble it and have another try. The two screw fixings, top and bottom, seem to be holding the mudflap secure but it's obvious to the eye that it needs tightening up in the middle. I've not attempted to put this fixing on the second mudflap.

So, a few questions:
First, has anyone successfully used this fixing? If so, could you tell me how.
Second, is there anyway to undo this fixing. I fear it is a one-time use job.
Third, does anyone have a spare fixing I could buy off them? I doubt that the part would be available as a spare from Ford.

Thanks,

Ian

When I fit new Ford mudflaps to the front I could not fathom it out either. And because I did not want any metal clip cutting through to the metal I just said sod it and left them off. The top and bottom fixings secure them in place fine as far as I'm concerned. But it looks like hawker fathomed it OK :unsure:

#5 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

When I fit new Ford mudflaps to the front I could not fathom it out either. And because I did not want any metal clip cutting through to the metal I just said sod it and left them off. The top and bottom fixings secure them in place fine as far as I'm concerned. But it looks like hawker fathomed it OK :unsure:

Yeah, it's not all that clear that the plastic tab folds over. Then getting the toothy thing on top as well ... strong hands required or a decent tool!

#6 focus-si

focus-si

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ford Model: focus zetec 1.8tdci 2008

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

When i fitted mine,i fixed the 2 screws in loosely,

I then folded the plastic tab back to protect the wing...screwed the 2 remaing screws up...then put the metal clip on with a pair of waterpump pliers

Slid into the plastic toothed bracket with ease...also left the wheels on..just turned them accordingly.

#7 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

It's harder on the rear flaps to be honest, as there's no turning available. Never heard of waterpump pliers described as that (I googled them - never knew their real name!), but you learn something new every day. I used brute force and put the metal clips on by hand (and it hurt a tad).

#8 IMW

IMW

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

As for removing one that has been clamped, then I'm not sure. I've never tried it but I guess the toothed edges will make this very difficult.

Can the mudlflap be removed with no screws attached having just the central clamp fitted? Its worth a go. It might be much easier then to separate the clamp

I don't think so but I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion.

#9 IMW

IMW

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who had problems with these mudflaps.

Thanks for your replies.

#10 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,891 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for your replies.

took 15 minutes i put the clip on halfway first onto the flap then used a pair of pliers to put the pressure on the clip and then pushed the flap into it and it all popped in nicely on one of them i had to tap the back of the clip with the pliers to get it to push on

#11 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Where in Soton are you from if you don't mind my asking?

took 15 minutes i put the clip on halfway first onto the flap then used a pair of pliers to put the pressure on the clip and then pushed the flap into it and it all popped in nicely on one of them i had to tap the back of the clip with the pliers to get it to push on

I guess the process between MKI and II hasn't changed much then - I wonder if the MKI instructions were equally as vague as the MKII? :lol:

#12 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,891 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

I guess the process between MKI and II hasn't changed much then - I wonder if the MKI instructions were equally as vague as the MKII? Posted Image

wat instructions lol it was a case of offering them into place and seeing that that bolt had to come out there then go through the flap back to its original location the rears went on then had to come off again so that i could do the bolts

#13 IMW

IMW

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Maybush.

#14 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Maybush.

Ahh, Bitterne Park here. Tis rare to get people from our neck of the woods around here!

#15 IMW

IMW

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

How about this for a potential alternative to that pesky middle fitting:

Remove the mudlap and put some double-sided adhesive tape on the mudflap where it contacts the turned in edge of the wheelarch. Press the mudflap into position and replace up the screws. I reckon that should work ok, what say you?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users