Rogue_Shadow

Useful Guide  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Useful Guide

• Hell Yes!
    • Hell No!
    • Hell Hell Hell !

Hey FOC

About time I pulled my weight around here, So I thought Id make an English guide of how to upgrade/replace the MK7 Fiesta bulbs.

Covered in this guide:

# MK7 bulb types

# How to remove the MK7 Headlight (Including pictures of the dreaded retaining Clip MWHAHAHAHAHAHAH ... pfft )

# How to Change over the MK7's sidelight, dipped beam & Indicator bulbs

# How to Safely replace the MK7 Headlight back into the mounting

MK7 Bulb Types

Here is a brief list of the bulbs for the MK7 Fiesta, these are also noted in your handbook.

Front Lights:

Fullbeam - H1

Dipped beam - H7

Sidelights - W5W

Front Fogs - H11

Front indicators - PY21W

Side (wing mirror) indicators - WY5W

Interior lights:

Interior light - W6W

Reading lights - W5W

Footwell lights - W5W

Rear indicators - PY21W

Brake & tail light's - P21/5W

Rear fog light - P21W

Reversing lights - W16W

Number plate lights - W5W

------------------------------

Removing The Headlight:

To Replace ANY bulbs in the headlight, the headlight itself must first be removed.

Photo431.jpg?t=1273328149

The Headlight is fixed to the car by 2 bolts, 1 plastic rivet & 1 clip at the bottom (More on this later)

One bolt at the top of the headlight -

Photo433.jpg?t=1273328181

One bolt & a Rivet at the bottom of the headlight -

Photo432.jpg?t=1273328208

The bolts simple unscrew, store the washer and bolt some where safe. The rivet comes in two parts, both simple pop out and do not require any other motion. There is a small gap that allows you to get your finger nail or screw driver underneath the first part and pull it out.

Photo436.jpg?t=1273328235

After the first is removed, the bottom part pops out also

Photo437.jpg?t=1273328308

Before removing the headlight, you need to remove the electrical connector (The purple plug)

The best method to remove this, is to prize a flat head screw driver in and underneath the clip & tilt.

You will hear a small click & with the screwdriver still in place the connector can be removed.

Photo434.jpg?t=1273328375

DO NOT pull the connector from the wires, the connector should come out fairly easily with the screw driver in place.

I removed mine with thumb and fingers of my left hand ... very little struggle at all.

Photo435.jpg?t=1273328402

The Headlight is anchored in with little tabs on the headlight itself

Photo464.jpg?t=1273328445

So the best method to remove the headlight is to tilt the headlight slightly away from the engine bay and then pull the headlight up and towards the windscreen.

Place one hand underneath the headlight nearest the bottom (grill) and another underneath the top section where the first bolt was removed. Keep reading if you need more help.

• Like 4

Headlight removal - explained

This is the clip that everyone mentions and dreads, that comes out in the darkness of night and...yada yada ha ha. Its not that bad once you look at it. So here it is

Photo438.jpg?t=1273328561

Its basically a bigger version of the clip that holds your bonnet arm.

Here is is again with the headlight removed - Don't worry I'll get to the removal part, you haven't missed anything.

Photo439.jpg?t=1273328596

This picture (below) will hopefully explain the necessary angle needed to lift the light.

Photo439e.jpg?t=1273328647

The Yellow Arrow is the direction the clip would most likely to be removed at

HOWEVER, not possible if you look at the green circle, the shape of the grill and headlight DO NOT allow the direction.

The Red arrow is a compromise of both, its at an angle that clears the shape of the grill but still provides enough upwards angle to remove the the light from the clip. I had no trouble removing mine without this guide. No snaps or damage. Provided its not a Freezing cold day causing the clip to be abit more brittle, you should be fine.

Once free, unslot your headlight from the mounting. It would be fairly simple. But for those who want to know how.

Slide it from the top out. Away from the front grill.

-----------------------------------------------

Bulb Replacement:

Your headlight is now out of the car, looks odd doesn't it lol.

Photo440.jpg?t=1273328721

Incase by this point you still have no idea what bulbs you need, ford kindly printed them on the headlight

Photo442.jpg?t=1273328803

These are my replacements

Photo441.jpg?t=1273328831

Philips Silver Vision indicator bulbs and Philips Bluevision (dipped beam with sidelights...bargin B))

Ok Indicator bulbs and sidelights first, flip the headlight over and you'll see a screwcap, turn anti clock wise to open

For those who are unsure of their lefts and rights. Its printed on the cap

Photo444.jpg?t=1273328865

Unscrew that...

Photo445.jpg?t=1273328929

looks confusing doesn't it?

Lets Have a closer look inside

Photo448.jpg?t=1273328957

On the right is the sidelight, notice how ford are kind enough to even print the bulb types on the inside of the headlight.

To the left of the sidelight is the Main Beam (Blinding people light) I don't remove this during this guide. looks simple enough though

TBC...

• Like 3

Ok

To remove the sidelight bulb holder ( the one underneath W5W on the above picture) Turn the plastic holder a quarter of a turn and pull up and out. Simple

Photo449.jpg?t=1273329071

To remove the bulb, simply pull it out. Time to install your new bulb.

This IS Important, DO NOT handle the glass of the bulb. Use vinyl or latex gloves or tissue paper. Handling the glass directly can damage and or reduce the bulbs lifetime.

Photo450.jpg?t=1273329096

No you can put the holder back into the headlight, quarter of a turn and leave it be.

Time for the indicator bulb ... this one IS a pain, but I'll give as much detail as I can.

Photo451.jpg?t=1273329126

Below the sidelight bulb is the indicator bulb, all you can see of it is the wires and a Long handle/stalk connected to the bulb holder.

This one is very stiff to remove, luckily this was my second headlight.

To remove, you need to get nice and low on the handle/stalk (don't hold the wires!)and apply a very very very small amount of pressure towards the holder, then turn it anti-clockwise.

This holder is very stiff, when it becomes free it does make a loud Click noise that sounds expensive ha ha. But its fine. you'll see why its so stiff once its out.

Photo453.jpg?t=1273329153

The holder and the headlight have tabs that lock it in. Hence why it was so stiff. Have a good look at both the headlight and the bulb holder, these will help you understand how to fit it back in

Photo454.jpg?t=1273329176

Notice the tabs on the out edge of the holder, these need to be lined up with the headlight to slot back in.

Photo452.jpg?t=1273329222

This is the indicator bulb, to remove it, one turn anti-clockwise... while not handling the glass. There is ONE way the bulb will fit into the holder again. Line up the notches on the bulb with the gaps on the holder. Slot in and turn clockwise. Done

Photo455.jpg?t=1273329288

Now line up the tabs of the holder with the headlight and put it back in the headlight. This is abit fiddle. Take your time, line up the plastic tabs and you'll feel it go into the headlight. Then its one turn clockwise the lock it in place and seal the deal.

Photo456.jpg?t=1273329309

Close the screw cap up and your down with this section of the light. Now for the dipped beams.

The bulbs are behind this rubber cap at the end of the headlight

Photo457.jpg?t=1273329337

It just peels of the expose the bulb

Photo458.jpg?t=1273329359

• Like 1

Photo458.jpg?t=1273329359

Again with Thumb and finger pressure on the side of the bulb holder, turn it anti-clockwise and it will unlock and pull out.

Photo459.jpg?t=1273329475

With the bulb holder free, you can remove the bulb. This bulb is removed by pulling it out, I'll show you what part pulls away from what.

Photo460.jpg?t=1273329512

If that's still unclear what pull away from what, read on. It may become more clear as we install the new bulb.

When inserting your new bulb, there is only one way it will fit into the holder.

Photo461.jpg?t=1273329550

Notice the small metal leg sticking out and up (like an L) of the bulb holder. That side of the holder needs to meet with the part sticking out of the bulbs base.

Photo462.jpg?t=1273329570

Like so

Insert the bulb into the headlight, one turn clockwise and your done. replace the rubber seal & you have successfully de-tangoed and upgraded your headlight ...

Photo463.jpg?t=1273329606

Finished! Enjoy ...

• Like 3

What sort of guide wouldn't help you put the headlight back in? Honestly people! Grab your headlight lets go ...

-------------------------------------------

Replacing the headlight back into the mounting:

Photo439.jpg?t=1273328596

Meanwhile at your car lol.

FIRST!

Plug the connector back in and ensure the lights are working! Do not do anything else untill you have otherwise you'll be scrolling all the way back to the top of this guide...bad times.

All working? Are you now blinded by the pure brilliance ... Odds are no, its still daylight ha ha

Anyway ...

So remember the little plastic tabs on the headlight

Photo464.jpg?t=1273329829

Those will play a key part in making this part SO So Simple.

Insert the bottom (narrow) part of your headlight into the mounting first. After all it was this part that made it hard removing it in the first place.

Photo465.jpg?t=1273329875

With the headlight in place at the bottom (ensure the plates for the bolt and rivet are UNDER the grill and not ontop)

tilt the headlight and work on getting those plastic tabs into under the bodywork

Photo466.jpg?t=1273329894

During this step, odds are you will head the plastic clip at the bottom of the headlight clip into place and the headlight will fit snug. If this hasn't happened, have a good place around. Don't worry, there is only One way for the headlight to sit correctly and multiple ways to get it there.

Photo467.jpg?t=1273329923

Insert the bottom part of the rivet

Photo468.jpg?t=1273329941

Followed by the top part

Replace the other two bolts and washer, reconnect the connector at the back of the headlight. Close the bonnet and marvel the fact your indicator isn't orange

Photo469.jpg?t=1273329966

Now... we wait for the darkness to fall

Result to follow

Hope this has helped or given confidence to those wanting to give it a go.

Rogue Shadow

• Like 2

Space reserved for results

I Shall Take pictures tonight to show off the results

B)

Update:

The bulbs are brilliant!

My camera phone however is not. So I will need to borrow a decent camera to complete this.

I was also worried that the Full beam would look odd seeing as I didn't upgrade the main beam bulb. Not the case, looks awesome!

Went with a drive my a mate to confirm that it wasn't blinding either.

Pass

Will update asap - Need a decent camera

If only I had the smart you do fella, your guide would have saved me hours! Top idea too. What lights did you go for and are you happy with the results?

If only I had the smart you do fella, your guide would have saved me hours! Top idea too. What lights did you go for and are you happy with the results?

Sorry Danny

You post got lost as I was uploading the rest of the guide :lol:

I'll post back the result tonight, so you can judge for yourself the results.

I completely forgot to take before shots. But I'm pretty sure I'll be impressed with the results.

The bulbs I decided on are on one of the pictures above.

But these are the bulbs I got. I purchased them from those sites also and they came with 2-3 days :D

Dipped beam:

Sidelights (Included with the dimmed beam bulbs)

Indicator bulbs

Brilliant guide, i tried to change to silvervisions on both the front and back lights but i abandoned both tbh LOL

Brilliant guide, i tried to change to silvervisions on both the front and back lights but i abandoned both tbh LOL

Hopefully this guide will help you out mate,

Dead easy on the front

Not going to bother else where :D

stickied and I will place it in the how-to guide when we launch it :)

A realy exellent guide fella well done think i will will have a go now :D

And not that long ago you were asking us about it lol.

Going to be ordering a batch of bulbs this week, just have the indicators to do, but was wanting a cold

blue for the main bulb, have one of my own in it already but like the blue tint on the White.

Might even looking into the interor main, mirror indicators and rears.

Great guide an well put together, I'm sure many will come to appreciate it!

Couldn't fault the guide there, explained it perfectly and it only took me 20 minutes, thanks alot.

What about aligning the dipped beam once the new bulbs are in? Will it be out? and how easy is that to sort?

Hey Everyone, sorry had laptop trouble

Glad the guide is useful & clear :)

I will try and get the pictures of the new bulbs ASAP, I just need to get my hands on a decent camera for the night shots.

They are LOADS better than standard, that is unarguable.

They look great and light up the road ahead cleaner than the old yellows

The bulbs don't need to be aligned, its not required.

Just plug & Play :D

If I've missed anything else out, feel free to post it up.

I'll check back to answer any questions or worries whenever I can

Yep, completly useless and very clear lol.

Shhhhh *Edit* :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Whilst on the subject of mk7 headlamps ,does anyone know if there is a way to convert the dip beam for driving on the continent ???

Heres HOPING someone can HELP ,Thanx in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I've just this minute fitted new headlight bulbs to my car, I went for 5k headlights, 55W and silver indicators.

It took me around 1 hour and a half, which I think it could be done much quicker I just took my time :)

Although this is one of the most fiddly things i've ever done! The H1 bulb has to be the most un-user friendly design ever, the metal clip which you have to reach down and grab after you've put the bulb in, is a right pain in the !Removed!!

Why are they making it so hard for people to change bulbs these days? To make more money.... i presume, no wonder you see alot of people driving around with just the one headlight working

I'm happy with the results though! :)

• Like 1