• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimbobaggies

jimbobaggies

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

V (99) Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, 127000 miles, full service history (stamped log book, all receipts), bought from friend.

I have had the car a few weeks now, and to me it seems to idle marginally lower than expected...

After the car has warmed up the idle speed is just below the 3rd mark, the one prior to 1000rpm indicator, and there is a very slight vibration, which disappears if revs increased. At night, with headlights on and fans running, it does drop down a tad. Now I read that the idle speed should be 700+/-30rpm. If that is true, is the mark it is just below 750rpm? If so that would mean it is idling around 700rpm.

When we first got the car it idled slightly lower, so I took it to a garage. They put it on the diagnostics, which were all fine, and generally checked the car over. They found a vacuum pipe in really bad condition and replaced it, the friend I bought the car from knocked the cost of the repair (50) from the price, after the work was done the vibration doesn't feel as bad.

I have never owned a focus before, and generally the car is in good condition for the age, and runs fine, so is it just me being a bit finicky?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

V (99) Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, 127000 miles, full service history (stamped log book, all receipts), bought from friend.

I have had the car a few weeks now, and to me it seems to idle marginally lower than expected...

After the car has warmed up the idle speed is just below the 3rd mark, the one prior to 1000rpm indicator, and there is a very slight vibration, which disappears if revs increased. At night, with headlights on and fans running, it does drop down a tad. Now I read that the idle speed should be 700+/-30rpm. If that is true, is the mark it is just below 750rpm? If so that would mean it is idling around 700rpm.

When we first got the car it idled slightly lower, so I took it to a garage. They put it on the diagnostics, which were all fine, and generally checked the car over. They found a vacuum pipe in really bad condition and replaced it, the friend I bought the car from knocked the cost of the repair (50) from the price, after the work was done the vibration doesn't feel as bad.

I have never owned a focus before, and generally the car is in good condition for the age, and runs fine, so is it just me being a bit finicky?

th car will idle between 670rpm -730rpm when warm its usually 670-700rpm it will go up and down as the ecu constantly tries to find the lowest emissions so its normal as air and fuel doesnt burn perfgectly the ecu has to vary the idle up and down constantly to find the lowest possible emissions so dont worry about it mate its normal

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users