Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running In New Fiesta

simps100

Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the "running in" of new cars nowadays, hoping to get my new Fiesta next week, but was planning on doing around a 150 mile each way trip a week later, mainly on motorways. Will this cause any problem to the new car, would it be advised i dont do this?

Cheers

Marc

I just Drove normaly most of the time, made sure I wasnt(oops, miessed that bit first time I posted) labouring the car (say, under 2,000rpm) and made sure I used all the rev range ocasonally but didnt flat out power around or do full throttle starts etc. my cars done over 1000 miles now and thats the general consensus for the bedding in period. Just be carful with it, I think you would do more damage labouring the engine at low revs than giving it a bit more.

Jay

My advice (and many others') would be to let the engine warm up fully before driving during the first 1000 miles or so. As it was the peak of winter when I got mine this ended up as approx 10 mins but shouldn't be so much of a problem now its warmer. Then once it's warm drive it as you would normally. A lot of people say that being to gentle on an engine during its infancy is actually a bad thing. Someone on here posted a link which explained why when I asked the exact same question a while back. Something to do with bedding in piston seals I think...

Not very technical, and quite possible incorrect answer.

Yeah I remember that, Say for the first 1000miles of the engines life its never taken past 2500-3000 rpm. The shafts and pistons will only be used to moving that far up and down the cylinders. This could make a very tiny groove and when the car is eventually revved past this rpm the engine is not familer with this and could cause it to cause more damage than good

? Or something along those lines ;)

revving the engine like mad does it good, the problem with women in big cars is they mess the engines up because they never use all the rev range so the engine doesn't get loosened up... i just drove mine sensibly at first, felt like a slug the first few weeks then one day i actually heard the engine roar ;) well its a 1.25 so i wont go that far but yeh... just drive normally my advice just dont expect it be too responsive at first

Ok thanks for all the advice!

So basically 300 miles in a day isn't going to do it no harm at all, as long as i don't go to mad in it?

As far as the engine is concerned, just drive it sensibly and you'll be fine. Engines dont really need 'run in' these days.

The only reason to drive like a saint for the first few hundred miles is to bed in the brakes and scrub new tyres.

Dave above has beaten me to it but I was going to advise you to remember to take it easy with the brakes at first – that will get them used to the heat build up and prevents the disc from warping

As others have said you don't need to run in engines. In the 1960's, yes, but not any more. Just drive the thing. Maybe don't take it to an inch of its life for a few hundred miles but otherwise just drive it. There are, however, 2 things that could benefit from being broken in - brakes and Speakers (yes, really). No Drum 'n' Bass at max for a while.

Dave above has beaten me to it but I was going to advise you to remember to take it easy with the brakes at first – that will get them used to the heat build up and prevents the disc from warping

Aww, was going to say the same thing as well!

Brakes and tyres are more of a concern for me - don't want to warp/cook discs too soon and same with tyres - constantly keep an eye on tread wear etc.

speakers (yes, really). No Drum 'n' Bass at max for a while.

*Gulp* Not crumbs and bass, but loud stuff allmost all the time =|

Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the "running in" of new cars nowadays, hoping to get my new Fiesta next week, but was planning on doing around a 150 mile each way trip a week later, mainly on motorways. Will this cause any problem to the new car, would it be advised i dont do this?

Cheers

Marc