Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max 56 Fly Wheel Problem

stephencooper

Hi there,can anyone tell me if anyone has had any probs with there clutch, my car is a S-Max 56 plate from new with 59.000 miles on the clock,3 months out of warrenty and its been confirmed my fly wheel is a gonna,so now i need a whole new clutch,i only just had a new power steering pump fitted,its bringing tears to my eyes,i feel like ive been fitted up by ford with apile of crap of a car thats constantly costing me money to repair.

Hi there,can anyone tell me if anyone has had any probs with there clutch, my car is a S-Max 56 plate from new with 59.000 miles on the clock,3 months out of warrenty and its been confirmed my fly wheel is a gonna,so now i need a whole new clutch,i only just had a new power steering pump fitted,its bringing tears to my eyes,i feel like ive been fitted up by ford with apile of crap of a car thats constantly costing me money to repair.

cheer up you could have a Renault

is it a diesel by any chance? dual mass flywheel? your not the only one to have bother with these, every car that has one is trouble!

is it a diesel by any chance? dual mass flywheel? your not the only one to have bother with these, every car that has one is trouble!

Yes it is a diesel but unsure about dual mass flywheel :(

• 1 month later...

We've also got an S-Max 56 plate with 52000 miles on the clock. It's currently in the garage having the dual mass flywheel replaced. Fortunately for us we had an extended 5yr warranty and Ford have confirmed it's covered by that otherwise we were looking at eye watering better part of £1000 for the part and labour!! Whilst it's in, the handbrake is also being replaced and the front passenger airbag is being replaced....it's only taken over two years of complaining about the airbag warning light for them to be able to actual find a fault even though it's been on when they've had the car in the garage to search for it. They've now said that it's not covered by the extended warranty but would have been by the normal warranty!! You'd think that considering the amount of new parts on the car that nothing would go wrong but it still manages to spend more time in the garage than on my drive!

Good luck with the repacement part and sorry to hear that you're having the same experience with your S-Max as us....we certainly won't be buying another Ford in the future!

• 4 months later...

Just joined the forum - yes my dual mass flywheel failed at c50k miles - full repair including new clutch etc £1500. Ouch!!

• 1 year later...

Just joined having read this thread and experienced exactly the same problem. I own a Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi with a 56 plate that has only done 38000 miles and the flywheel and clutch need replacing at a cost of £1700+. At 26000 miles the steering rack failed and cost me £1300 as it was 3 months our of warranty.

I'll never buy a Ford again, I'm afraid quality engineering eludes them.

What can I expect to go wrong next?

a m8 has just had his steering rack replaced on his 07 titainium 2.5.full fords history and on a ford service plan from new.

and before he paid they gave him a £500 discount.

there are tsb's on this subject,think fords are playing a nasty little game.they play dumb they hope mug punters pay without question.they know there cars are loaded with inherant problems.

there is lots more info on the smax forum.

• 2 years later...

I'm the same 56-Plate, just had the steering rack done, flywheel and clutch just gone, only costing me £620 with labour so lot less than other people paid... 3 weeks out of warranty .. gutted!

I'm the same 56-Plate, just had the steering rack done, flywheel and clutch just gone, only costing me £620 with labour so lot less than other people paid... 3 weeks out of warranty .. gutted!

I think you might find that the clutch and flywheel are excluded from the warranty as they are wear and tear parts

How long was the warranty period? if it was an acclaimed 3 months on a used car, you can fight that. All used cars are sold with a 6 month expectation on the dealer / trader to assume the fault is theres and prove that the fault was not present when the car was sold.

If the car has just had 6 months, then you might be a little less lucky. You could still argue though that so soon after the warranty expires, the clutch should not have gone, you could look to negotiate a deal or push for them to do the full fix at their expense.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club