Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instrument Panel Swap/tacho

BHort

I want to swap my instrument panel (in my '05 KA) out for a cluster with a tachometer. I recently acquired the new cluster from a breakers yard out of another 1.3 SOHC KA. Both the panels are digital and i was wondering if the mileage of the car is stored;

a ) on the ECU or

b ) on the instrument cluster itself (or both)

this is because I would like to ensure that my car retains its legitimate mileage

I was also wondering if I could even modify the existing instrument cluster to incorporate the tachometer from the one I recently purchased, or move the odometer memory unit over from my original cluster to the new one. I have considered using an aftermarket tachometer but recently disregarded the idea as i want to keep my KA looking as original and neat as I can.

Any help is appreciated, you can reach me at ben33cc@hotmail.com in addition to replying to this post

Cheers

I want to swap my instrument panel (in my '05 KA) out for a cluster with a tachometer. I recently acquired the new cluster from a breakers yard out of another 1.3 SOHC KA. Both the panels are digital and i was wondering if the mileage of the car is stored;

a ) on the ECU or

b ) on the instrument cluster itself (or both)

this is because I would like to ensure that my car retains its legitimate mileage

I was also wondering if I could even modify the existing instrument cluster to incorporate the tachometer from the one I recently purchased, or move the odometer memory unit over from my original cluster to the new one. I have considered using an aftermarket tachometer but recently disregarded the idea as i want to keep my KA looking as original and neat as I can.

Any help is appreciated, you can reach me at ben33cc@hotmail.com in addition to replying to this post

Cheers

I would of thought that the mileage would be stored On either the EPROM OR RAM on the cluster itself. They may be a removable on board battery which supplys power in the event of a flat battery tho I doubt it can be removed. But to have the CORRECT mileage re-entered you'll need to use the On Board Diagnostic port. (A laptop is plugged in to the ECU) This can be done via a Ford dealer or through a Mileage adjuster service. Some of these people offer the same service (Digital mileage correction)but some can be DODGY as it were. They are after all adjusting the mileage on your car which has its legality issues. This guy might be worth talking to at least and its a free phone no. http://thedashdoctor.co.uk/

Best of luck!!

I would of thought that the mileage would be stored On either the EPROM OR RAM on the cluster itself. They may be a removable on board battery which supplys power in the event of a flat battery tho I doubt it can be removed. But to have the CORRECT mileage re-entered you'll need to use the On Board Diagnostic port. (A laptop is plugged in to the ECU) This can be done via a Ford dealer or through a Mileage adjuster service. Some of these people offer the same service (Digital mileage correction)but some can be DODGY as it were. They are after all adjusting the mileage on your car which has its legality issues. This guy might be worth talking to at least and its a free phone no. http://thedashdoctor.co.uk/

Best of luck!!

Your right about both points, however the dash doctor for my area was unable to help me as my KA is only of the only few cars he cant work with! He was very helpful however and was able to point me to another of his colleagues local to me who might be able to Assist me. I've dropped 'revtech' an email for a price quote, as I assume its going to be cheaper than my ford dealers. Ill also get in touch with a mechanic I know at my local Ford dealership and see what he can do.

Thanks for year help, you've cleared this up for me.