Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus X Reg 1.8 Ghia Clutch Problem

Andybliverpool

Hi All,

I recently agreed to buy an x reg Focus 1.8 Ghia from my neighbour. He's let me use it for 2 weeks, seemed fine until today. Was in traffic, when the clutch pedal went solid, wouldn't budge and I couldn't change gear. After a bit of a panic, it loosened and I could change gear although the pedal was stiff. I pulled over as soon as I could and checked the pedal by pushing with my hand. After about 5 pushes, something snapped and the pedal became completely limp...and doesn't work. It looked like some kind of grey plastic rod had snapped. The AA brought the car home and my neighbour (who I haven't paid yet for the car) thinks it is the clutch cable? He said he'd look at it and get it fixed (he's a mechanic).

Is this something easily fixed, usual for this vehicle, or something that I should be concerned about if I were to buy the car when fixed? As you can guess, I know nothing about cars :s

cheers

Hi All,

Is this something easily fixed, usual for this vehicle, or something that I should be concerned about if I were to buy the car when fixed? As you can guess, I know nothing about cars :s

cheers

can take a good mechanic a few hours. its just something that comes with motoring. if hes offered to get it fixed free and hes a good mechanic it wont be a problem and i would personally still buy the car from him if it was me.

it might happen again it might not its just one of these things.

clutch pedal going solid i aint so sure about maybe someone else can shed some light ?

can take a good mechanic a few hours. its just something that comes with motoring. if hes offered to get it fixed free and hes a good mechanic it wont be a problem and i would personally still buy the car from him if it was me.

it might happen again it might not its just one of these things.

clutch pedal going solid i aint so sure about maybe someone else can shed some light ?

Thanks for the quick reply,

He will have to fix it before I buy it, yeah. I guess if it's one of those things that happen, then it could just be bad luck. I don't think he's tried to sell me a dodgy motor, he's my neighbour of 3 years and a nice fella. The car is a great runner (apart from that). He's looking at it tomorrow so I'd guess I will know more then.

When I was towed back,the AA man said something about the 'clutch rod' but he really didn't want to say much but get the car back :P

cheers

Thanks for the quick reply,

He will have to fix it before I buy it, yeah. I guess if it's one of those things that happen, then it could just be bad luck. I don't think he's tried to sell me a dodgy motor, he's my neighbour of 3 years and a nice fella. The car is a great runner (apart from that). He's looking at it tomorrow so I'd guess I will know more then.

When I was towed back,the AA man said something about the 'clutch rod' but he really didn't want to say much but get the car back :P

cheers

hi,

my collegue at work had same problem in fiesta, apparently he received a recall letter after he fixed it. on this occasion was a pin in the clutch pedal assembly. if you contact ford dealer and mention this as a possibility just incase it could be same problem on focus.

hi,

my collegue at work had same problem in fiesta, apparently he received a recall letter after he fixed it. on this occasion was a pin in the clutch pedal assembly. if you contact ford dealer and mention this as a possibility just incase it could be same problem on focus.

Hi,

Yeah, I had a look at some forums. and apparently it is a very common Ford, especially Focus fault. Ive seen 2 different views on what needs to be done. Either the clutch pedal pin can be fixed, or more likely a whole new master cylinder...which is obviously a much more expensive option :s

Frustrating

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club