Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Temperature And Speedo Gauge Problems

tomwazza

Hi Guys,

A couple of days ago my car developed a few problems...

This morning the engine wouldn't turn over on the first attempt, it sounded like it was really struggling. Then when it eventually did fire up the car nearly stalled when I first used the accelerator, the revs just dropped to nothing. A mate at work told me that it may be the spark plugs need changing. Earlier today I pulled off the rubber plugs the cover the spark plugs and found that they were all sat in a pool of water, a couple of weeks prior to this I had driven through a ford a little fast. However at the time there were no signs of any problems. We managed to get most of the water out with an air supply and now the car starts up ok. At the weekend I'm going to drop a sponge in there to clean it up and then change the spark plugs over. Do you think it’ll be OK, or is there anything else I should do too?

A couple of days ago the speedometer just dropped to nothing whilst I was doing about 50mph. I kicked it down a gear and gave it some gas and it game back. Then today when I turned on the ignition (after cleaning up the spark plugs) the temperature gauge started in the red and then settled down and centred with no warning lights, I'm pretty sure it never used to do this.

Could anyone suggest what could be causing these problems and whether the three faults are related?

Thanks,

Tom.

Hi Guys,

A couple of days ago my car developed a few problems...

This morning the engine wouldn't turn over on the first attempt, it sounded like it was really struggling. Then when it eventually did fire up the car nearly stalled when I first used the accelerator, the revs just dropped to nothing. A mate at work told me that it may be the spark plugs need changing. Earlier today I pulled off the rubber plugs the cover the spark plugs and found that they were all sat in a pool of water, a couple of weeks prior to this I had driven through a ford a little fast. However at the time there were no signs of any problems. We managed to get most of the water out with an air supply and now the car starts up ok. At the weekend I'm going to drop a sponge in there to clean it up and then change the spark plugs over. Do you think it'll be OK, or is there anything else I should do too?

A couple of days ago the speedometer just dropped to nothing whilst I was doing about 50mph. I kicked it down a gear and gave it some gas and it game back. Then today when I turned on the ignition (after cleaning up the spark plugs) the temperature gauge started in the red and then settled down and centred with no warning lights, I'm pretty sure it never used to do this.

Could anyone suggest what could be causing these problems and whether the three faults are related?

Thanks,

Tom.

the water in the plug wells may be from leaking washer jets which are a known problem the dash could be related if youve gotten water into the electrics in any fair amount though it could also be unrelated

Started up the car this morning and had the same problem.

Struggling to start, then when started pushing the accelerator makes the engine stall. Hopefully it's just buggered spark plugs, but I fear it may be something more expensive :(

Also have the same problem with the temperature gauge.

I'm going to have a quick look at that link now.

Just bought a Haynes manual from amazon.

Thanks for the advice,

Tom.

Hi Chaps,

Sorry to bump this back to the top, but I was hoping you could answer some more questions...

Replaced the spark plugs, HT leads and coil this afternoon, and the problem still persists with the temperature gauge and the 'lag' with the accelerator. Also the car seems to idle at around 750 rpm, something just doesn't feel right.

Is there anything else that could be at fault?

Thanks for all your help,

Tom.

Hi Chaps,

Sorry to bump this back to the top, but I was hoping you could answer some more questions...

Replaced the spark plugs, HT leads and coil this afternoon, and the problem still persists with the temperature gauge and the 'lag' with the accelerator. Also the car seems to idle at around 750 rpm, something just doesn't feel right.

Is there anything else that could be at fault?

Thanks for all your help,

Tom.

my ford manual states the idle speed is 700 +/- 30rpm is right so between 670rpm to 730rpm is in the right range .

wouldnt have changed the coil as its not got anything to do with that its usually misfiring youde get from the coil

symptoms youde have noticed by now it could be so many things

fuel filter/ idle control valve /a leak from one of the hoses/even the injectors and the pump to pcv valve /pcv hose a sensor out inc temp sensor meaning the cars running too rich im afraid it sounds like youll need to have it looked at its pointless guessing as it could be any one or a multiple of things

was it just the temp gauge that went up when you started the car or did all the dials move?

if all moved the dash is in diagnostic mode that usually suggests electrical ie battery or alternator though with youre symptoms i couldnt hazard a guess at any one thing

Hi,

Thanks for the info, for some reason I just thought that it should idle a little higher than that. Going mad lol.

Yeh that was quite annoying about the coil, it was just a suggestion that somebody gave me. I'm going to drop it into the garage tomorrow and see if they can diagnose it for me. Hopefully nothing too expensive.

The first thing I noticed was the Speedo (fell to zero for a couple of seconds), but I haven't seen that since. Now the temperature gauge starts in the red and then eases down to normal (about mid-way), however when it's in the red it isn't accompanied by the engine warning light (as stated in the OM), very confusing, but hopefully an easy fix.

Anyway cheers for the help,

I'll keep you posted.

Tom.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, for some reason I just thought that it should idle a little higher than that. Going mad lol.

Yeh that was quite annoying about the coil, it was just a suggestion that somebody gave me. I'm going to drop it into the garage tomorrow and see if they can diagnose it for me. Hopefully nothing too expensive.

The first thing I noticed was the Speedo (fell to zero for a couple of seconds), but I haven't seen that since. Now the temperature gauge starts in the red and then eases down to normal (about mid-way), however when it's in the red it isn't accompanied by the engine warning light (as stated in the OM), very confusing, but hopefully an easy fix.

Anyway cheers for the help,

I'll keep you posted.

Tom.

everyone thinks it should idle higher but the ford owners manual states all petrol models 700+/-30rpm so as i said anywhere between 670 rpm -730 rpm is normal so at least you dont have to worry about that part of it

everyone thinks it should idle higher but the ford owners manual states all petrol models 700+/-30rpm so as i said anywhere between 670 rpm -730 rpm is normal so at least you dont have to worry about that part of it

Just come back from the garage and their diagnosis is a faulty temperature sensor, which in turn is playing with the engine management system.

If that's all that's at fault it should be a nice cheap fix lol.

Cheers,

Tom.

Just come back from the garage and their diagnosis is a faulty temperature sensor, which in turn is playing with the engine management system.

If that's all that's at fault it should be a nice cheap fix lol.

Cheers,

Tom.

im sure the fan is ecu controlled so that m,akes perfect sense the sensors saying the engines hot when its not kicking the fan on

• 10 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I've got another problem with my temp gauge. It will go from normal to red lining and back to normal (after easing off or dabbing the brakes) within a few seconds.

It usually happens on the dual carriage-way coming back from work when I’m doing around 70-80mph. I've only recently had the temperature sensor replaced, so is there something else that could be faulty?

I’ve only noticed this problem within the last 2 weeks.

Thanks again for your help,

Thanks,

Tom.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club