Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Change Fuel Filter On Mk1 Focus

bt_cav

Hi All, sorry if I am starting an already open topic, but I could not find any information on how to go about changing the fuel filter on the Mk1 focus. I understand the push in white clips can be a pain and cause problems if they fail, I've heard that if they brake a complete new fuel pipe from ford is the only way to replace broken clips so I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

What I wanted to know is how do I go about dropping the pressure in the system before I remove the filter? Im guessing you remove a fuse / relay?

Thanks in advance

Brian :)

Hi All, sorry if I am starting an already open topic, but I could not find any information on how to go about changing the fuel filter on the Mk1 focus. I understand the push in white clips can be a pain and cause problems if they fail, I've heard that if they brake a complete new fuel pipe from ford is the only way to replace broken clips so I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

What I wanted to know is how do I go about dropping the pressure in the system before I remove the filter? Im guessing you remove a fuse / relay?

Thanks in advance

Brian :)

petrol engine?

i hate doing fuel filters on the mk1 focus as they are in a nice awkward spot but its not hard.

press the clips in either side(these can be a hard to press - ive got special plier type things for this these days) and pull the clip off the filter.

i wouldnt worry about pressure in the system, i usually leave the car for half an hour and then do it, some say pull the pump fuse and run the car till it dies but i dont see the need to be fair.

petrol engine?

i hate doing fuel filters on the mk1 focus as they are in a nice awkward spot but its not hard.

press the clips in either side(these can be a hard to press - ive got special plier type things for this these days) and pull the clip off the filter.

i wouldnt worry about pressure in the system, i usually leave the car for half an hour and then do it, some say pull the pump fuse and run the car till it dies but i dont see the need to be fair.

Cheers Stef

Yea its a petrol 1.6 (forgot to say that lol)

I'll just cover the pipe with a rag as I remove the first clip, will report back and let you know How I get on.

Cheers Stef

Yea its a petrol 1.6 (forgot to say that lol)

I'll just cover the pipe with a rag as I remove the first clip, will report back and let you know How I get on.

if the car has been sitting a while there wont be any pressure in the line, but you will still get some fuel leaking out - but only what is sitting in the fuel line and not directly from the tank so dont worry.

you will also need a long extension bar to remove the bolt that holds the fuel filter bracket in place beside the tank.

if the car has been sitting a while there wont be any pressure in the line, but you will still get some fuel leaking out - but only what is sitting in the fuel line and not directly from the tank so dont worry.

you will also need a long extension bar to remove the bolt that holds the fuel filter bracket in place beside the tank.

yea...

How long an extion are we talking? Was tring to get to the bolt wit a small 3/8" toothless dumpy ratchet, not a hope in hell LOL

Going to get my trusty LED torch and have a good look

yea...

How long an extion are we talking? Was tring to get to the bolt wit a small 3/8" toothless dumpy ratchet, not a hope in hell LOL

Going to get my trusty LED torch and have a good look

i cant say what length of extension you 'need' but im sure it was an 18" one i last used (well actually a 12" with a 6" extension) but then for some reason that sounds ridiculous.

yup i would say the best thing is to go have a look and maybe even join a few extensions together and see whats best.

Cheers once again Stef

now I have a decent look I think the only way Im going to get the bolt slackened off just enough to slip out the filter is with a swivel head spanner, I could well be wrong but I cant see any room to get an extion bar past the tank :(

one thing is for sure Im only just gonna slacken off the bolt to allow the filter slide out as I'd never get the bolt threaded back in with my fingers lol (fingers like cows udders lol) :P

Cheers once again Stef

now I have a decent look I think the only way Im going to get the bolt slackened off just enough to slip out the filter is with a swivel head spanner, I could well be wrong but I cant see any room to get an extion bar past the tank :(

one thing is for sure Im only just gonna slacken off the bolt to allow the filter slide out as I'd never get the bolt threaded back in with my fingers lol (fingers like cows udders lol) :P

haha yeah thats partly why i said it was awkward, getting the bolt back in is the worst bit! im not sure if the filter will come out with the bolt just slackened but its definetly worth a go. i cant remember what it looks like under there but i definelty managed to get an extension in, swivel head spanner sounds good if you can get enough leverage on it?

• 10 months later...

Ok so it has taken me almost a year to get round to it...

I finally changed the fuel filter on the focus :D heres what tools I used

2 long flat screw drivers

1 Shallow Offset Ring ring key (spanner) 7mm

1 Large flat LED torch

1 Small LED torch

1 pair of long nose pliers

1 small bowl

After I had the car jacked up and on a axel stand, I flicked the back of the white clip with a long screw driver then after some time and some gentle persuasion with the long screw drivers out came the white plastic retaining clip and then done the same with the one nearest the center of the car, it took a while longer. Then I slackened off the 7mm speed bolt just enough to get the filter moving, and slide it out.

The filter I fitted was a fram, and both ends are straight, but on the original ford filter one end was offset (end going into the center of the car) so I was a bit worried about this but it did not make any diffrence.

Fitting the old filter is the reverse procedure, again the white clip towards the center was a bit fiddely to reinsert, its worth having a look at the clips when you get them out as they only fit in one way but its easy to see when you look at the clip.

I tried to blow through the old filter but I couldnt, tired both ways :( just shows how much dirt it had collected.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club